Toning my chest

Options
PLEASE someone tell me there is a better way to tome my upper chest rather than equipment at the gym?
I'm in desperate need of toning but everything I read involves equipment and I just cant hit the gym, the nearest one is 30min away.

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    if you want to make your chest bigger then you need to eat a ton of food and do progressively overloaded resistance exercises to tear the muscles. that extra food will then help them repair stronger (bigger).

If you're talking about losing fat, then there is no such thing as a toning exercise.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    if you want to make your chest bigger then you need to eat a ton of food and do progressively overloaded resistance exercises to tear the muscles. that extra food will then help them repair stronger (bigger).

If you're talking about losing fat, then there is no such thing as a toning exercise.

yes.

what are you trying to accomplish?
  • dancaetano17
    dancaetano17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just do incline press ups at home?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, "toning" is a made up word to get women interested in lifting weights. If you want more muscle definition, you need to build muscle in your chest, and then cut to remove subcutaneous fat. Buy some dumbbells and a bench and do some chest workouts at home.
  • rbilberry
    rbilberry Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    LOL, looks like I have boobs, I need to loose them
  • AJ_G
    Options

Start lifting weights at home immediately and eat at a caloric deficit to lose fat. You will build muscle on a caloric deficit at the beginning if you are new to lifting
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

To lose the manboobs, really the calorie deficit will do it best. (They are loose already, if you don't restrain them).
    To strengthen the chest muscles, in absence of a gym, a variety of chest exercises will help. Start with push ups come back when you can do 30x3
  • swpguy
    swpguy Posts: 15
    Options
    Wow, and I thought all the snarky comments were reserved for the crossfit threads...

For the original poster, do a google search for USMC boot camp exercise regimes. No gym equipment involved and most if not all male recruits have significant chest 'toning' in 12 weeks. Granted their in the prime of their life and physically train 8+ hours a day but you get the idea.

Biggest thing is get started and don't quit. (And ignore the idiots!)
  • phjorg1
    Options
    Wow, and I thought all the snarky comments were reserved for the crossfit threads...

For the original poster, do a google search for USMC boot camp exercise regimes. No gym equipment involved and most if not all male recruits have significant chest 'toning' in 12 weeks. Granted their in the prime of their life and physically train 8+ hours a day but you get the idea.

the only snarky comment in this thread has been yours....
  • AJ_G
    Options

the only snarky comment in this thread has been yours....

Exactly my thoughts, calm down guy
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit to nuke the fat, lift heavy stuff to develop the muscle, and long term dedication. As stated before, there's no such thing as "toning."
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

this is actually the worst post in the entire thread. not gonna call anyone any names, but people would be smart to ignore this post if they are gonna do some ignorin'.

as the more astute posters stated, if your chest looks like you have boobs then the main thing you have to do right now is lose fat. you can do bodyweight exercises for the time being if you can't get to a gym but your main focus is eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight, while doing resistance training to retain lean muscle mass.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

you need a new snark detector.

yours is clearly broken.

OP a caloric deficit will help you lose the body fat.
    Lifting weights will help you maintain what muscle you do have as you lose weight.

good luck.
  • swpguy
    swpguy Posts: 15
    Options
    My apologies.

I went back and reread the replies and yup, I was out of line. My snark detector is most probably defective. What I saw as a simple question (and one that I was interested in learning about) seemed to have responses more concerned with his choice of words and suggestions of losing fat vs. exercise.

I jumped to the assumption that the responders were just baiting him into rephrasing his request 'properly' before giving him the answer. I think the comment I read with the wrong emphasis and got me frustrated ended with 'come back and talk after you can do 30 x 3 push-ups'. I took it as dismissive vs. start here and then work your way up.

You guys are right. I was out of line, and again I apologize.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ^Cool deal, no worries.
  • phjorg1
    Options
    My apologies.

I went back and reread the replies and yup, I was out of line. My snark detector is most probably defective. What I saw as a simple question (and one that I was interested in learning about) seemed to have responses more concerned with his choice of words and suggestions of losing fat vs. exercise.

I jumped to the assumption that the responders were just baiting him into rephrasing his request 'properly' before giving him the answer. I think the comment I read with the wrong emphasis and got me frustrated ended with 'come back and talk after you can do 30 x 3 push-ups'. I took it as dismissive vs. start here and then work your way up.

You guys are right. I was out of line, and again I apologize.
    you're prob moreso talking about my comment than anyone elses. the issue i have is the word toning. it's a stupid word that completely changes meaning based on who is asking it. For women, i just assume when they say tone, they are asking 'how do i lose fat' without realizing that the fitness industry mislead them into thinking doing easy exercises can burn fat. ok fine. with guys, it's a crapshoot. some want to lose fat, some want to build muscle, some both. And tone to them can mean any one of those goals. thus cover both bases and at the same time try and get him to answer which is his goal..

basically just drop tone for your vocabulary and ask how do i lose fat, or how do i gain muscle. Then roll with that.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Based on your profile, you and I had close to the same starting point, and I had the same thought as you have now starting out. Let me give you a reality check, it's going to take a while...expect it. Your man boobs will be one the last things to go. I know this. Just stick with a calorie deficit, be on target with your goals about 90-95% of the time, and expect this to be a process.

For what its worth, starting out, I picked up some kettlebells and had a treadmill, but after a couple of months I wanted to go to the gym. While the gym is not a requirement, you can pick up some dumbbells and start there at home. Pushups are also a good idea, even though I couldn't do 3 when I started, you have to start somewhere and not quit. As far as the gym, mine is 45 mins from home...and in my opinion WELL worth it. I have access to more weight and more equipment and I get a better workout knowing I'm paying for this. But everyone is different. You can Google for bodyweight exercises and pick up some home equipment pretty cheap on Craigslist or your local paper...just look for something in your price range.

Make your goals long term, not short term, don't expect rapid results or you'll get frustrated and quit. Last year I was looking forward to what my results would be this year...now I'm looking forward to next year...not next week or next month.

Have fun with this, make your workouts something you can enjoy and yet still challenge yourself. Try to go a little further or faster, but not to the point that you will make yourself want to give up. As far as the food, limit your intake not what you intake. It's ok to go over once in a while and don't fret when you have holidays or family things...just eat, enjoy, and move on. You won't gain any real weight, but if you live by the scale you'll get upset at the water weight and they way things look...give it time, it'll level out quicker than you think.

I've had blast over the last year, and I'm actually looking forward to the next year and the results that will bring.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Push-ups...there are several variations you can try.

8488541.png
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Do fork put downs and plate push aways. I guarantee it'll work.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    PLEASE someone tell me there is a better way to tome my upper chest rather than equipment at the gym?
    I'm in desperate need of toning but everything I read involves equipment and I just cant hit the gym, the nearest one is 30min away.
    So in other words you're trying to lose the body fat off you're chest? If that's the case, then moderate calorie deficit and patience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition