When life changing events happen...

So I'm gonna get a little personal but I feel like it may be needed for this question..

When I was 17, in 2010, I was diagnosed with poly-cystic ovarian syndrome. To be 17 and to be told I'm going to already have trouble conceiving, and that my insulin levels are a large impact on my constant weight gain (and not being able to lose), really through me for a loop. Probably gained about 90 pounds since that time. I was a typical teenager, did a lot of drinking, got into other activities, did have relationships.

This past December, I actually managed to conceive. Though in January, at 11 weeks, had a miscarriage. With that miscarriage was a handful of complications. So in February, decided it was time to really focus in on my health. It was a slow start but seemed like a promising beginning. I was in a lot of pain with my other health issues but continued on.

Late March, I had one of my two Uncles committed suicide. He was an alcoholic and as sad as it was and how bad of a relationship he had with my family, decided to quit drinking.Cut down my drinking basically to none.felt good. With that happening, a lot of other events followed. I live with my grandparents and help support them, they basically raised me, my mom is a single mother their health is not good either, both are dealing with obesity, diabetes and other health problems, so trying to help them took on more stress and I gained my weight back, plus some. Just trying to get everything back in line, has been difficult. Also we're currently looking into my grandmother, she currently has a biopsy scheduled monday - and if it's positive it could be a whole battle ahead. after all this.

I'm at the point where I want to really succeed for myself, and for them. I'm not a highschool graduate (though have had pretty decent jobs). I'm planning to fix that, then attend college in the fall. I want to get my PSW certificate then get into practical nursing. I want to focus on that and really build a good future for myself. It's just super difficult...

like I've tried so many diets, even invested in a treadmill to have a convenient form of exercise, I follow my birthcontrol / metformin routine for my PCOS, but this stress isn't allowing me to get in that direction. things are better, we even bought a little boxer puppy, but gaining that motivation even though I'm seeing NO results is hurting.

haha so with my random rant/blurb about the story behind my quesitons...

Where do you find your motivation when it comes to dealing with difficult times???
Have you ever made good progress, had something happen, and fell right down?? How did you recover?

Also another one,

Surgical options. If the PCOS levels / different diets are not working for me, when is it a time to start looking into that??

thanks!!! lol xxoxox

Replies

• MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    You are a very strong young woman. Obviously you have a very good strong head on your shoulders and will be able to work on bettering yourself.
    As for the PCOS i wish I could help you but I dont have it so im not sure.
    I hope all goes well for you in your future lady! Stay strong!
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    You have a really great attitude!! Best of luck!
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    Wow sista, youve been through a lot at a young age. This may sound cliche, but it sounds like you NEED to work out, not for the weight loss factor, but just to give you an outlet to do something everyday just for yourself. A healthy outlet that will make you feel better and stronger and more capable of handling all these circumstances coming your way.

As far as the motivation, maybe you could try changing your focus and realign your goals with just feeling better, regardless of what the scale says. Just take it one day at a time. When youre having a hard day, take a jog/walk and dont come home until you can smile again.

Good luck with everything, and stay strong :smile:
  • CCJean93
    CCJean93 Posts: 14 Member
    thanks!! yeah the PCOS is a touchy subject, I know a lot of women are faced with it, but really hard to find advice on it. much appreciated :)
  • CCJean93
    thank U!!
  • CCJean93
    You are a very strong young woman. Obviously you have a very good strong head on your shoulders and will be able to work on bettering yourself.
    As for the PCOS i wish I could help you but I dont have it so im not sure.
    I hope all goes well for you in your future lady! Stay strong!
    thanks!! yeah the PCOS is a touchy subject, I know a lot of women are faced with it, but really hard to find advice on it. much appreciated :)
  • CCJean93
    Wow sista, youve been through a lot at a young age. This may sound cliche, but it sounds like you NEED to work out, not for the weight loss factor, but just to give you an outlet to do something everyday just for yourself. A healthy outlet that will make you feel better and stronger and more capable of handling all these circumstances coming your way.

As far as the motivation, maybe you could try changing your focus and realign your goals with just feeling better, regardless of what the scale says. Just take it one day at a time. When youre having a hard day, take a jog/walk and dont come home until you can smile again.

Good luck with everything, and stay strong :smile:

It is a cliche thing to say and I totally agree. Since about May I've really been focusing on the exercise aspect along with the clean eating, but next to no results. it went up 2lbs if anything. I've been super strict too which has been a terrible cause my family is all in the same weight-boat as me / awesome chefs in da house haha. It's just overcoming that negative hardship and knowing that the results will come. thank u though :)