Favorite Healthy Snacks

Options
Hello everyone!! I am pretty new here and was wondering what some of your favorite healthy snacks are or just food in general. I am trying to broaden my food choices, so I thought who better to ask then you all. Thanks for your input :)!

Replies

• Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well, here there are those who are trying to lose weight who will have snacks with tiny calorie amounts, and then there are those who are maintaining and those who are bulking.

I am in the latter category so probably the most hated on this site! But for me it's peanuts, cheese slices and milk. Lots of healthy fats and calories. Amazing.
  • misssophieleigh
    misssophieleigh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I really like having rice cakes for a snack. Unfortunately, they are super bland if you buy the plain ones, which is why I coat them with almond butter! It's super healthy and super tasty! :) Fruit is also good. I like chopping fruit up into tiny pieces, throwing it in a container, adding cinnamon, and then shaking it all up, then voila! Super good fruit salad.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    A juicy steak
  • LolaTootsie
    LolaTootsie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes and frozen watermelon are awesome! I also like to throw some apricot halves under the broiler for a few minutes, then top with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream and a sprinkling of dried fruit. Almonds and medjool dates are also some of my go-to snacks.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    + Greek yogurt with fruit
    + A small piece of fruit with almonds
    + A rice cake with 1 tbsp of peanut butter and 1 small (80-100g) banana
    + Cottage cheese with salsa and avocado
    + Clif bars (or other quick, handheld protein bar)
    + Pre-made protein shakes
    + Homemade protein shakes, my favorite combo being chocolate whey protein powder, peanut butter, banana and old fashioned oats
    + Ants on a log (Celery with peanut butter and raisins)
    + Veggies with hummus
    + Hummus and pita chips/crackers
    + Laughing cow cheese wedge with pita chips/crackers

ETA: I try to mix a protein and a starch or fruit/veg with every snack. Keeps me full longer between meals!

These are my staple foods.
  • SarahBJane
    SarahBJane Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for the list, that helps a lot. I am trying to find things that will fill me up, yogurt doesn't seem to do anything for me but fruit and veggies do. I have heard hummus is really good for you but is high in calories. I don't mind it being kind of high as long as it is filling, like peanut butter.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Thanks for the list, that helps a lot. I am trying to find things that will fill me up, yogurt doesn't seem to do anything for me but fruit and veggies do. I have heard hummus is really good for you but is high in calories. I don't mind it being kind of high as long as it is filling, like peanut butter.

I weigh all of my food on a digital food scale, so I make sure it is EXACTLY portioned out to ensure I'm eating the calorie dense stuff the right way. Being high in calories doesn't make it bad! :D

Other snack I thought of: a boiled egg! Even a fried egg with cheese. Mmmm.
  • uthatswho
    uthatswho Posts: 34
    Options
    I try to eat protein with any snack I have.
    Some of my favorites are:
    5 pieces of Blue Diamond lightly salted and 1 or 2 Sunsweet Ones prunes.
    green apple & string cheese
    Chobani greek yogurt pineapple
  • Hi! Oscar Meyer has a really good turkey hot dog that's only 50 calories...loaded w protein. I eat one with a slice of whole wheat bread for a total of 100 calories. Definitely more filling then those 100 cal p is:). Also sliced grape tomatoes, diced cucumber, feta with a tbsp if FF Italian dressing is good for a quick snack. Fiber One 80 calorie honey cereal is good...no milk needed...tons of ideas that's not the norm for snacks...yogurt and fruit sometimes just won't do.
  • Lol...nice (about the juicy steak):smile:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I buy veggies like cucumber, carrot, celery, peppers, and then cut them into finger/bite size pieces and put them in a large resealable container in the fridge. Whenever I get the munchies, I have a ready-made snack available. I keep hummus, salsa, yogurt, and cottage cheese to use for dip.
    I also like:
    low-sodium turkey deli meat slices
    cheese sticks (especially WW smoked provolone flavor)
    AdvantEdge protein drinks (100 calorie, 17 grams protein)
    South Beach Diet protein/fiber snack bars
    Emerald 100-calorie pack cocoa-roast almonds
    banana with chocolate pb2

I have started making my own iced coffee and tea, to save money:)
  • uthatswho
    uthatswho Posts: 34
    Options
    One I haven't tried is carrots and mustard. Sounded too funky for me, but baby carrot and peanut butter I do enjoy, but the calories add up really quick if you don't spoon out your thumb sized portion.

Really have to plan some of the snacks out so you don't catch yourself heading to the vending machine in a munchie daze.
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you like oatmeal try this,

1/4 c quick oats (uncooked)
    1/4 c choice yogurt, I use low or fat free Greek yogurt
    Fresh fruit..ie: blueberries, strawberries, bananas
    1/4 c. Almond or coconut milk

Add all ingredients to a bowl, cover 1-2 hrs. I cover overnight
    and have it for breakfast, but in general it's an overall healthy
    AND very filling snack.
  • JBV321
    JBV321 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Emerald's 100 calorie almond packs! Already portioned and perfect for throwing in your purse in case you need a snack on the go. I also love carrot and celery sticks with hummus, bananas, apples, and Teddie's unsalted super chunky peanut butter.
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I weigh out 1 oz of either almonds or cashews, and do up baggies with broccoli and baby carrots for an easy grab for a snack.
  • SarahBJane
    SarahBJane Posts: 24
    Options
    Just wanted to say thank you for everyone's suggestions. I appreciate it!!
  • MissImpala
    MissImpala Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oscar Mayer is advertising on here a meat, cheese and nut snack/meal combo! Looks like an awesome idea!

http://www.proteinproteinprotein.com/?utm_source=1497676&utm_medium=106837951&utm_campaign=8011853
  • BerttiBott
    BerttiBott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love canned pumpkin mixed with unsweetened cocoa powder. With all that vitamin A, potassium, fiber and antioxidants from the cocoa, it's one of the healthiest snacks out there.