Bodyweight Exercises vs. Lifting Weight

Options
13»

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    The use of weights can definitely be useful if you don't yet have the strength to do the bodyweight equivalent - dumbbell press before pressups, dumbbell rows and bicep curls to help pull-up strength and so on.

One reason why I don't train in weights at home is I know I could never afford the weight plates I would need to perform conventional squats and deadlift and the safety equipment I would need to rack the weight. Bodyweight exercises are just as effective in progressing strength though you dont get so pumped with BW exercises so you tend to gain strength without so much size. In my case (as a Yoga student) that runs in my favour.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I would say that body weight exercises are a great place to start, and that eventually you'll either need to move on to more complex body weight exercises, or lift weights. Personally, I find it easier to just lift weights.

Agree
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight has the potential to get you comparable results, but the issue is that progression doesn't just happen through increased load like with weights. With bodyweight training, as your strength goes up, balance, flexibility, coordination, and control have to go up as well. There's a lot of skills work involved with progressing via bodyweight training that most people aren't willing to attempt to work on. If you choose to stick with bodyweight only and are willing to work at it, you CAN get the results you want. But it will mean eventually progressing to exercises that require near-gymnast levels of flexibility, balance, and coordination as well as just focusing on strength. With weights, it's as simple as adding more weight.

^^ This is why I LOVE bodyweight exercise! The skill and "fun" factor is way more appealing to me than loading with weights. I probably could have a better lower body if I did weights, but I prefer being outside and practicing things like handstands and pull-ups.

Picturing myself doing a human flagpole is just more motivating to me than lifting a heavy weight. Find out what gets you fired up and stick with it!

Typo edit.
  • coffee4me57
    coffee4me57 Posts: 195
    Options
    bump to read later
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, I don't see any reason to run or jog. I walk 5-8 miles a day and my fitness seems to be fine. M grandmother lived a healthy life to age 96 without ever running or jogging either. To each his own. I'm happy to keep my joints in tip top shape, though I will aqua jog when convenient.
  • Gremlinbaby
    Options
    Try checking out bodyrock.tv. They post new free workouts every day that are a combination of HIIT and body weight exercises. No equipment needed. I checked them out a few months ago but the workouts seemed really intense and I got scared.:)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Unless you want to be a power lifter, you will never run out of body weight exercises.

I adore barbells, but he speaks truth. You can get amazing results with only bodyweight exercises, but you're going to have to do progressive training just like the barbell folks do. That means you increase reps and/or difficulty as you go.
  • pelpec
    pelpec Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can come back and check out all the links.