Change in diet cause mood swings?

Options
In the last 2 weeks or so I've been dramatically changing my diet. I've been making better choices in the last year, but recently I've made even more changes. I've been monitoring my calories, sugar and sodium a lot more. However, with this change I've noticed some crazy mood swings. I get irritated easily and every little thing sets me off. Is it possible that a change in diet can do this?

Replies

• jennagoogles13
    Options
    I've definitely experienced some pretty similar things in the past. But I eventually figured out it was because I wasn't eating enough, and that was causing me to be really irritable all the time. Make sure you're eating enough!!
  • ldw5490
    ldw5490 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm eating enough calorie wise, but then when factor in fat, sodium and sugar..I get extremely stressed out
  • CheekyBrahette
    CheekyBrahette Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've definitely experienced some pretty similar things in the past. But I eventually figured out it was because I wasn't eating enough, and that was causing me to be really irritable all the time. Make sure you're eating enough!!

I agree with this 100%. I noticed a big difference in my mood when I was hungry, or my blood sugar was low. I also experienced dull headaches which added to my irritability.

23d77e12fd6da3bab93a778b968d1453_zps0286ba49.jpg
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    There are usually 2 things that cause my mood swings. When I don't workout and when I'm hungry. I love the high I get from a workout and I need to feel full. Otherwise I get a bit crabby in comparison to when I do. There are some days when I am going to be annoyed no matter what, and I still get PMS, but it's not too bad. So I guess that diets can cause mood swings. But I think that if it's really severe, it's probably due to not eating enough.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It sure can. I know when one of my coworkers tries to go on a diet, she turns into a mean and bitter person.

I don't think it's a good idea to make drastic changes in a short time. It is much easier and more likely to become a habit if you ease into it. If you had been eating a lot of junk food and then all of a sudden it's all celery and carrots, your body probably freaks out. I know mine does. If I am going to make changes to my diet, I have to wean off certain things and slowly incorporate others or else my digestive system rebels.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,022 Member
    Options
    You don't have to completely change everything. Sugar and salt are not bad things unless you have a medical reason to cut them out.

How many calories a day are you eating?
  • ldw5490
    ldw5490 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well, today I took in around 1400. I try to stay between 1200-1600
  • caviggia
    caviggia Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Haha I can't even Begin to tell you how many times I have been hungry-angry! As soon as I have food, I'm in a better mood, andir was super bad for the first couple weeks... Just ask my fiancé lol