Thunder thighs!

Options
I know that when you burn fat, there is no specific area you burn fat more than another, you burn it from all over. But my thighs seem to be the only place on my body that hasn't shrunk. I've lost 6" off my waist, 2" off my hips, 2" off my arms, 3" off my bust and absolutely nothing off my thighs.
Does anyone have any good exercises for the thighs that i can try. Thanks :)

Replies

• sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    Bump! I'd like to know too......
  • pixieE
    pixieE Posts: 30
    Options
    Bump too! I'd love to know!!!!!!
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    BUMP! Share with me, too!
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I have a Pilates Circle. I'm not really sure how much these run because it was given to me. It reminds me quit a bit of the Thigh Master! hah. But I love this thing, it really did show a TON of improvement when I used it religiously. So much that I needed to start an arm routine to compensate.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    - 'Thigh dancing' you can check out videos on how to do it on youtube.
    - Lower body weight training (Check out the P90X 'Legs and Back')
    - Kickboxing is really good for the legs
    - Pilates

All of these are great for the legs!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    the way your body loses fat is a complex formula drawn up based on genetics, storage, exercise, and need. The reason we cannot tell where we will lose fat is because fat is drawn from the easiest available location first. Since it's easier to "grab" fat from locations nearer to blood vessels, those will be grabbed first, also, fat that is "older" or more compressed, and dense will also be harder to release, so usually, the first fat we put on is the last fat we lose. Again, the formula is complex and different for everyone, but rest assured, eventually, all of it is used (if we work hard enough and long enough). For women there are usually 3 main spots, the butt, the thighs, and the stomach. For guys the stomach and waist area are predominant. But this isn't always the case. again as with anything, the more dense it is, the harder it is to break down. Think of it like water dissolving sugar. if you dump a spoon full of sugar into a glass of water, it's dissolved in a few seconds if you stir. But if you dump the same amount of sugar in the form of a cube into a glass, even when you stir, it can take up to a minute or two to dissolve because there's less surface area available to dissolve the sugar. It's as much to do with surface area as it is with anything. As fat "ages", it becomes more dense. That's why people who've had large fat deposits for most of their life have a harder time losing weight than people who put fat on recently.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    yes you can target your fat areas theris a sept challenge with a lot of good exercises on it i join it theri squats lunges leg extensions high knees dead lifts hamstring curls try it you will see a change i have thunder thighs to but by the end of stept i won't
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Options
    So basically. I just need to put in more effort and it will eventually come off my thighs?
    I do Tae Bo 4-5 times a week and it's done wonders for the rest of my body but my thighs are still chunky :(
  • sim247
    Options
    yes you can target your fat areas theris a sept challenge with a lot of good exercises on it i join it theri squats lunges leg extensions high knees dead lifts hamstring curls try it you will see a change i have thunder thighs to but by the end of stept i won't

Sounds interesting, what is the challenge called?

Dellymum, I also do tae bo and I love it. I am enjoying Billy Blanks boot camp at the moment :smile:
  • lizzys
    Options
    september 2010 exercise challenge
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Options
    I got the box set. I've had it for about a month and half and its helped loads. Boot camp will be my next investment. I love the motivation that Billy gives to spur you on :)
  • sim247
    Options
    Thanks lizzys. I'll look this up now.
  • lizzys
    Options
    i really cant say i have thunder thighs when i lose my weight its my calves they are huge :embarassed: anyway i have to do a major low fat diet so my body pulls the fat it has stored from theri plus with a lot of exercise, it hard you have to take your fat level way down to maybe about 20 grams or under,your body will pull that fat that it needs from your thighs. its how the modeles do it ,it might not be the best way but it dose target your fat areas
  • sim247
    Options
    i really cant say i have thunder thighs when i lose my weight its my calves they are huge :embarassed: anyway i have to do a major low fat diet so my body pulls the fat it has stored from theri plus with a lot of exercise, it hard you have to take your fat level way down to maybe about 20 grams or under,your body will pull that fat that it needs from your thighs. its how the modeles do it ,it might not be the best way but it dose target your fat areas

How interesting! After reading this, I looked back at my diary for the last few days and I am eating far too much fat. Think I should be doing something about this.
  • lizzys
    Options
    under twenty is not good for you,that why they dont tell you to do that, i would weight tell you get ot your weight or real close to it before i take it down that low and only do it for a couple of weeks but your body dose not need over 30 grams on a 1200 cal diet if your body is getting to much it will store it on your thighs me iM fat in my tummy right now but my tummy i lose easy with abs exercises it my calves where i store even when im skinny
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll try to be more specific here. you can target muscle groups for lengthening, strengthening, and increasing mass, but you cannot, in any way, shape, or form, target an area of the body for fat loss. It's physically impossible to do so. If you think about it, it's actually quite obvious why that is the case.

the way the body burns fat is it removes it from an area through the blood stream, brings it to the liver, which metabolizes it and sends the energy to the area's that need it. The body won't care where that fat comes from, it actually sends the "I need energy" message to all parts of the body at once through hormones, and the first place to respond wins (so to speak). The body does not say, "oh I need energy, and my stomach has extra, I'll take it from there". The body is an efficiency engine, it will always use the least amount of energy from the first available source.

there is one very minor caveat to this rule. Intramuscular fat can sometimes be metabolized in VERY small amounts, at the muscle site in times of extreme depletion, but this is very inefficient, and the human body doesn't have a lot of "marbling" in their muscles, we're just not built like that.

hope this helps guys.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

No you cannot. Never could and never will be able to target fat to burn. You can build muscle to create definition, but the fat will come of all of your body.
    If you do heaps and heaps of leg exercises to try to reduce the size of your thighs you will be sorely dissapointed as you will build muscle in that area, lose fat across you whole body and your thighs will actually get bigger!
  • misstrish03
    Options
    Cosmo had a thigh toning exercise in the September issue...
    haven't tried so I'm not sure how effective it is though!
  • lizzys
    Options

No you cannot. Never could and never will be able to target fat to burn. You can build muscle to create definition, but the fat will come of all of your body.
    If you do heaps and heaps of leg exercises to try to reduce the size of your thighs you will be sorely dissapointed as you will build muscle in that area, lose fat across you whole body and your thighs will actually get bigger!
    yes you can low fat no fat diet with exercise it will target your fatty area and use it as fuel,models do it all the time,fat puts fat on your body, and sometime it settles in certains areas like the butt thigh calves thats why a no fat diet and exercise helps it will get the fat from where it needs it for fuel like your calves or thighs i have done it before. so i know it dose work its hard to do but you can do it
  • lizzys
    Options
    Maybe I'll try to be more specific here. you can target muscle groups for lengthening, strengthening, and increasing mass, but you cannot, in any way, shape, or form, target an area of the body for fat loss. It's physically impossible to do so. If you think about it, it's actually quite obvious why that is the case.

the way the body burns fat is it removes it from an area through the blood stream, brings it to the liver, which metabolizes it and sends the energy to the area's that need it. The body won't care where that fat comes from, it actually sends the "I need energy" message to all parts of the body at once through hormones, and the first place to respond wins (so to speak). The body does not say, "oh I need energy, and my stomach has extra, I'll take it from there". The body is an efficiency engine, it will always use the least amount of energy from the first available source.

there is one very minor caveat to this rule. Intramuscular fat can sometimes be metabolized in VERY small amounts, at the muscle site in times of extreme depletion, but this is very inefficient, and the human body doesn't have a lot of "marbling" in their muscles, we're just not built like that.

hope this helps guys.
    no that not true because you body puts on weight in different places like your tummy your legs butt and it takes it off in certain places frist like your breast because theris where you have the most fat, stored that your body dose not need personally my body lazys it gets it frist,from the places it is the easest