raising my hand from the back of the room

Options
Hello,
I've just joined up with MFP in the last week. I'm just going to jump in and tell a little about myself. :-)

:: tap tap tap::
My name is Mindi, I'm 46 yrs old and this is the first time in my life that I've had to lose weight.
I've always had an extremely high metabolism but in the last 2 yrs that has changed. I'm not sure if it's my age (probably!) or my eating habits (for sure!) but I've buried my head in the sand long enough. My body feels like I'm 90 yrs old and that just isn't right.

I don't share this with many people but I truly think if I want to succeed at this, I need to be totally honest so people know where I'm coming from.

I am ADD and also high functioning Asperger's Syndrome. Because of this, I have had sensory issues all my life. Mainly regarding food. I don't eat Fruits or Vegetables. (Unless it's a baked potato, that I will eat.) This was something that was accepted since childhood and right into adulthood. Of course I never gave it a second thought until the weight gain started.

It has taken me 46 yrs to open my mind enough to be willing to change and try new things. I had my first bite of Watermelon this weekend, and while the taste wasn't bad, the thought of chewing and swallowing made me gag.

I'm currently looking for a hypnotist for help with this, anyone good with the Kaiser Medical system of California?? lol

That's my basic intro, I'm not great at it so please feel free to ask about me if you like! Oh! I need to learn how to get one of the weight loss banners on the bottom of my messages! :-)
Mindi

Replies

• kayderkam
    kayderkam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Mindi,
    My name is Vikki. I have always been pretty private on my weight loss journeys (which have always fallen short). Just within the last couple of days I have reached out to others on this site, to get support and inspiration. I will send you an add request, I hope you succeed and find this site useful and helpful. I really like it, I just have a super hard time following through on weight loss. One mishap in my life and I usually spiral down. I have about 85 pounds to lose by my next birthday, July 8th. I gave myself a year to get there, if I do it sooner than even better!

Good luck, and I cant stand watermelon, by the way it makes me gag too.

Vikki~
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mindi. I am 46 years old too (until Sunday when I turn 47). I've been on MFP for 11 months. I do not eat a large variety of fruits and vegetables but have still managed to lose on here, so it can be done. It won't always be easy but you can do it! Feel free to add me as a friend. I love watermelon but don't hold that against me. Lol.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I am also high-functioning Asperger's, and if you work at it, you can make it work for you. Find healthy foods you can handle and make them a habit. Try preparing vegetables in different ways. For years, I couldn't stand mushrooms and refused to touch them (primarily due to the texture and consistency). At my girlfriend's insistence, I tried fresh mushrooms and realized that it was canned mushrooms I don't like. Fresh is completely different. The way you cook them makes a huge difference. I was able to harness the inherent habituality of the asperger's to make it work for weight loss. If I'm going to eat the same things every day anyways, I might as well make them good for me. Feel free to add me.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi, good for you for pushing against your comfort zone to try new things. It takes guts to do that when you're not sure how it will go or what it will be like. Glad you're here! Feel free to add me if you'd like support.
  • Rosytakesoff
    Rosytakesoff Posts: 321
    Options
    Hello and welcome:)
  • biznotchmindi
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for the Welcome!
    this is where I usually offer to bring the donuts tomorrow.....change is a hard thing!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new, too (5 days, but who's counting!).

The basic tracker is easy to install. From "My Home" page, scroll down to the middle of the page. Under the tracker, click on "add to your site." You can modify it in several ways but the default tracker will get you started. Good luck learning new eating habits - for me, that's going to be the trick of the decade.:drinker:
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am new too..... 47 yrs and kept thinking that it would be impossible to get back to a healthy weight at my Age. But seeing others stories on this site has shown to me that I was using that as an excuse to get busy and do it. Add me if you wish....... the more Support and motiviation the better!!!!!! Best of luck on your quest!!!