I KNEW IT!!! Your Cardio Routine Is Making You Fat

Options
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/yahoo-spotlight/why-your-cardio-routine-making-you-fat

Lost 100 pounds even though I despise standard cardio!!!

Replies

• SniffTheSweat
    Options
    Must be why as a 6 foot tall man I reached 145 lbs in weight through just riding a bicycle. (lol).
    Different things work for different people. The key isn't what routine is "better" it's what you stay motivated at. These kind of partisan stories are dirt, sorry.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Must be why as a 6 foot tall man I reached 145 lbs in weight through just riding a bicycle. (lol).
    Different things work for different people. The key isn't what routine is "better" it's what you stay motivated at. These kind of partisan stories are dirt, sorry.

I agree. Must be why this 5'8" women lost 46 pounds to weigh 128 thru walking and yoga and barre3 and continues to maintain one year later!
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been doing 95% cardio and lost nearly 20lbs in a month...sooo...different strokes for different folks? ;)
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I agree everyone looses weight differently. I did cardio for 7 months but lost hardly anything in comparison to the weight I lost once I introduced strength training but I did loose weight doing either just not as efficiently.
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    120 pounds down and only cardio.

I walk and I walk and I walk, and then when I'm done I walk some more.
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss= muscle and fat
    This is telling you, maintain your muscle… should incorporate some type of weight training.

It speaks the truth.

The number on scale will get smaller but at the cost of your lean muscle mass.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    That article is one of the most narrow-minded I have ever read.

Part of it said "There truly is only one reason to exercise: To increase your metabolism in order to burn more calories 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

That is a load of BS for a start because speaking for myself I do cardio (running) because I LIKE it and because I like to run races, therefore I need to train, what it does for my metabolism doesn't even enter my head.

I disregard what this article says, because it is a load of old codswallop.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Huh.

I thought I got fat because I ate too much and lived on the couch.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's true! I knew a guy, he started training for the marathon, but he got so fat for all the cardio that now he is a sumo fighter
  • __Di__
    Options
    Huh.

I thought I got fat because I ate too much and lived on the couch.

pmsl
  • hmoffatt
    hmoffatt Posts: 51
    Options
    Shocking article. Yes, runners are prone to injury but there are plenty of non-impact forms of cardio eg cycling. I don't see any evidence of the impact on the immune system - I regularly cycle 200km+ in a day (as do lots of people I know), taking 8+ hours, and we don't get sick like that. Toxic air? I go riding outside the city.
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I read the article and though I also tweaked on " the only reason to exercise" statement, if you read further down you see that it recommends intensity interval training, which is really a kind of cardio. Actually the one reason to exercise. in my view. is to increase your health -- heart health, body health, mental health. Whatever gets you there is fine, though I do think resistance training is important, especially as we get older.

Also, congratulations to the OP for your achievement in losing over 100 pounds. You look really healthy and fit.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    It's true! I knew a guy, he started training for the marathon, but he got so fat for all the cardio that now he is a sumo fighter

lol
  • mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yeah, one time when I was riding my bike regularly I continued to gain. DUH, not because I was riding my bike...but because I felt that riding my bike EARNED me the right to eat the footlong cheeseburger sub with a big bag of chips just for me....dessert of course was a huge banana split.....for a mid afternoon snack. Exercise doesn't make a person fat. Poor choices in eating makes a person fat....and sadly enough, people use the excuse of 'earning' the right to eat via exercise which causes them to gain.
  • __Di__
    Options
    Yeah, one time when I was riding my bike regularly I continued to gain. DUH, not because I was riding my bike...but because I felt that riding my bike EARNED me the right to eat the footlong cheeseburger sub with a big bag of chips just for me....dessert of course was a huge banana split.....for a mid afternoon snack. Exercise doesn't make a person fat. Poor choices in eating makes a person fat....and sadly enough, people use the excuse of 'earning' the right to eat via exercise which causes them to gain.

Some of the burns some people are getting are severely overestimated too making it even more of an issue. They will then ask why they are not losing and the first thing many people will say is "eat more" :huh:

(this is before they have studied their diary and exercise burns too) - too many excuses much of the time :frown: