HRM owners

Options
mrsyac2
mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
Did you notice a difference in the calories that you burn with your HRM compared to what MFP says? Was it higher or lower? I do plan on getting one but currently isn't at the top of my list of things to get but I will get one.

Replies

• mrsyac2
    Options
    Did you notice a difference in the calories that you burn with your HRM compared to what MFP says? Was it higher or lower? I do plan on getting one but currently isn't at the top of my list of things to get but I will get one.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    yes, it is different. The HRM is set to you and will tell you calories burned for your specific exercise time. The highe end ones will also track workout to workout. I have a polar F4, which I love. For me, so far, my HRM is lower than MFP. It also differs greatly from the machines at the gym. Research what you want from your HRM and get the one that fits your needs. There are some great threads here with advice and recommendations.

Hope it helps!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and it was singularly the best thing I've done for my fitness goals beyond modifying my intake. The numbers have been higher for certain activities and lower for others and I totally agree that gym machines seem to have no idea what to base cals on. Best of luck!
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I also have the F6 and it gives me about 25% lower on most things. Very eye opening.
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Depending on the model of the equipment in the gym, your hrm will be more accurate to YOU. From what I have read, most gym machines are set to the caloric burning levels of the "average male". Whatever that is, who knows!

Oh yes. And I have an F6 as well. I took it on vacation to the beach, and logged 600 calories briskly walking on the beach every morning. It was very helpful in keeping me active. You will start to track your workouts like this, "okay, I am going to do the elliptical for how ever many more calories." Units of measurement are no longer minutes, but calories, and when you are done, you are done. No messing around!
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    How much are HRM monitors? I want mine to track my calories and of course heart rate.
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    my F6 was $119 CAD.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I bought mine on Amazon, where there are a lot to choose from. There are also reviews and such. We don't have a sports store where I live so online was my best option. mine was $90 with shipping, but it doesn't do as much as the F6(but i still love it)