Tennis shoe suggestions

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for good training shoes? First let me state that there is not a place here locally that I can go get fitted. I have an extremely high arch and I am looking for an all purpose training shoe. A shoe that will go from the treadmill, to my living room DVD workout, to Zumba class, to the gym for weight training, and also for a walk around my neighborhood. I WILL NOT BE RUNNING. I have done several Google searches and I can narrow the search to "walking" shoes but if I try to Google a training shoe "running" shoes keep coming up and like I stated, I will not be running but I will be doing much more than just walking. Does anyone have a good suggestion for an all purpose training shoe? I have found results stating a shoe with good cushioning for the high arch, but no particular brands or styles. I would like to stay under $75 if possible. Thank you!

Replies

• mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I had a sad experience with a big name shoe store this spring. Feet were NOT happy with that pair of shoes. Walking a 5K was unpleasant. I went to local running store. Picked up tips. Bend the toe of you shoe back toward the heel, if you can do this easily, pass. The company whose shoes I am wearing does do mail order, so that might help. (but the price I paid for my shoes was more than your budget, was mine too, but my feet are way happier)

I would email a big running shoe company to see which brands they recommend for high arches. We have high arches in our family and long narrow feet for our girls. Message me for a couple of brand names.

If you have a narrow heel, check the net on how to tie your shoes with a running knot. Best wishes, your feet are an important part of your 'equipment' on this journey.

Our youngest ran into a neat homemade foot bath. Sound weird but it works. 1/4 C Listerne 1/4 C Vinegar 1/2 C warm water. Soak feet in basin for 10 minutes. The dead skin will wipe off your feet with a towel.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd answer this since I also have high arches AND I'm obsessed with shoes! :-)

My problem with finding shoes to workout in (or almost any shoe really) they either feel weird in the arch area (like it's in the wrong place) or rub at the top of my foot.

This might sound counterintuitive, since we think that our high arches need MORE support, but personally, I found I was much more comfortable in a shoe with a lightweight and very flexible shoe vs. something with a rigid brick of cushion on the bottom. Merrell and Inov-8 make some really flexible shoes. I have tried both but prefer the Inov-8's, you can practically roll them up into a ball and stuff them in your purse! None of the stores around here sold the styles I wanted to try, so I got a few pairs on Zappos, and sent back the rejects.

I have Inov-8 230, and 195, if you were wondering what models. I use these for my home workouts (Insanity-lots of jumping, high-impact), crossfit (includes heavy weight lifting), walking my dog, and running. They aren't particularly specialized to any one thing, so they work well for anything. Back when I got them a few years ago, I had to get boy-shoes at the time, but they have men's and women's sizes now, and some cuter colors! I wish my old pairs would just wear out already so I can get cuter ones, lol. They were about a hundred bucks, but they haven't had to buy a new pair and it's been a couple of years, so I think it was worth the investment, they still look new.

I thought my high arch was a bad thing, but I think wearing LESS supportive shoes actually helped my feet get stronger, they even look more muscular (my foot has internal support now!). It also helped alleviate some old knee and shin injuries I was dealing with. Anyway, I like to think high arches just means I'm spring-loaded! So I don't want to hinder them with an overstuffed cushiony shoe.

*edit* - one more tip with whatever shoe you get, how you lace them can make a big difference! It helps me get over the hump from my high arch and with my narrow heels that are prone to slipping out of the shoe. here's some pics of different lace-up "tricks"

http://www.wefitshoes.com/lacing-guide-s/66.htm

16869093.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter