Two Bicycling Questions

Options
I have 2 bicycling questions...

1. Does one get a better workout on a light bike or a heavier bike? I have a heavier bike (hybrid type with medium-sized tires), and people on those light bikes just fly past me. Am I getting a better workout because I have to pedal something that weighs more, or are the people with the light bikes just in better shape?

2. How do you calculate your calories burned for bicycling? I have an HRM but haven't used it yet. MFP numbers are too inflated. I use a bike trip computer, but someone had commented that the calories burned seemed too low for the amount of riding I did and the speed I did it at.

Thanks.

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It's definitely harder work to ride a heavier bike, so your hunch is right. Lighter bikes just let you go faster and are better for climbing hills. And they're less of a pain to carry up and down flights of stairs.
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OK probably wrong but here goes
    Forget bike and think driving. If you go 100 miles in a small empty van and then return with the van full of steel you'll use more fuel on the way back.
    It's got to be the same on a bike. If not why do they let you adjust the resistance on those gymn cycle machines? Other thing to think about is every time you brake it just means you have put more effort (burnt more calories) than you needed to do.

Probably wrong but makes sense to me

How do I work out my calories?
    I use that runtastic road cycle app

Good luck with it all
  • rickloving
    rickloving Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Here is my attempt to clear up your questions.. Light bike or heavy bike, the workout is based on your exertion and the time spent riding but to keep a heavy bike moving the same speed as a light bike, especially uphill will require more output, so yes a harder workout, but moving a heavy bike slower than a light bike doesn't mean the heavy bike is the same, its how much input the rider is putting in. Bike type is also a factor Road bikes are generally faster than hybrids/mountain bikes with the same level of rider input..

To properly calculate calories, use a HRM, the MFP number are a vague estimate that cannot calculate wind/elevation change, rolling resistance of your bike, bike weight, fitness level etc... example, you do a 5 mile ride on slight downhill grade withe wind at your back and get a ride home from a friend. The next day you ride your bike home uphill against a 30mph headwind... it will tell you that you burned more calories going there with barely any exertion than your extremely challenging uphill, into the wind ride of the same distance based soley on the speed of your ride. Your HRM calculated calories would not have that problem.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    1 - Depends, if you were on a lighter bike, would you put forth the same amount of effort, or would you go the same lower speed and enjoy how easy it feels now?
    For weight and rolling resistance of bigger tires, you get a harder workout if you try to go the same speed. And yes, they probably are in better shape for biking. But as soon as you can switch to a light road bike from time to time, you'll be shocked how easy it is. And if you don't go faster, you are getting an easier workout. Easy solution on bike though - go faster.

2 - If the bike computer has the weight of you AND the bike, then it has better estimate than MFP will have, which is weight of just you, and some rather wide speed descriptions.

Uphill and downhill will cancel each other out mostly, and headwind and tailwind will too.

Only if you got a ride to start out and come back, and it was downhill with tailwind the whole way, would the computer be wrong.
    Or you ride in a group and are able to easily coast behind someone despite the high speed, that would be wrong too.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    You can go MUCH faster on a light bike. I have biker friends that spend HUNDREDS (and some thousands) on their bikes and easily pedal at 24mph.
    I've got a GIANT (name brand) mountain bike (paid about $600) and i can definitely pedal MUCH faster on that one versus a bike from like... Target or something that is just a normal bike. On the GIANT bike i can go about 16 to 18mph (although thats just my preference in speed) and i can burn about 700-800 calories in an hour. On my old bike i pedal about 14mph and i burn about 600 calories per hr.
    I know with a lighter bike you will work less, but if you are going faster than on a heavy bike I assume the work out is what you put forth in it and equals out.
    I'm sure calorie burn also depends on the weight of the person such as if you are at goal weight or still trying to lose/overweight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    1. Per mile you probably burn more on a heavier bike, but if you go by time probably very similar
    2. wear you HRM and log the cals burned
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Riding my hybrid, on flat road, at about 16mph is around the same effort as my road bike at 18mph.
    Going uphill is easier on the hybrid, because of the granny gear.

There's a lot more to a bike than light and heavy. Gear set, tires, geometry, how well it's fit for your body, understanding economic movement, cadence, and appropriate knowledge of what gear to be in. Though that's sorta the same thing as cadence. Sorta. Oh also - light bikes don't have suspension seats or forks - two things that rob you of power.

I've found my HRM puts me within 10% of mapmyride. Both burns I think are ridiculously high for bicycling and I put little faith in them.

the people on the road bikes blowing by you probably also are using clipless pedals.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    1. Lighter bikes will be easier to pedal, but more likely the road bikers are more in shape and less likely to be riding on 26 inch tires which will make a huge difference. They also ride tons slower as soon as conditions are less than ideal.
    2. If the calories burned are off, I doubt it's by much. I suspect they wouldn't be as accurate for one of those expensive road bikes, but it seems to be fairly on for long rides with my mountain bike (which is tons better for road construction season).
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have a mountain bike and a road bike. I seem to work harder on the mountain bike. The road bike is lighter and easier to pedal but I push to go faster on that bike. So I am not sure which I really work harder on.

As for calories, I am lazy, I just take the amount MFP lists. I use the speed lower than what I averaged. If I average 12.8 mph, I use the calories from 10 to 12 mph.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I always tease my husband about this. he's rebuilding his bike for the umpteenth time - making it lighter and faster.
    i just figure the heavier it is and the more the wheels stick, the less distance i have to go to achieve the same workout.
    but then, i grew up using the bicycle to commute, not as a leisure activity. so i kind of frown on people who voluntarily go cycling for 100km...
  • Connie5674
    Connie5674 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use the HMR scale - but I ride inside on a stationary bike not outside - I was always told in Weight Mgmt Classes to guess high on calories and low on exercise so that's what I've done. Not much of an answer but it's all I have
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think this question is very similar to thinking that once you get in better shape that riding will be easier. It's only easier if you aren't trying very hard. I go out road riding with a group of friends regularly and we just recently rode a mountain pass that should have been easier than the one a few weeks earlier based on mileage and elevation. BUT, as we are getting in better shape, we picked up our climbing pace because we can, and it kicked our butts.

So similarly - if you have a lighter bike, you just go faster, and assuming you're trying to get a workout, you're likely going to work yourself just as hard or harder. I have a nice light carbon fiber road bike, and the fact that it feels so good to ride makes me ride it more. So for me, that's better than having a heavy bike that I wouldn't be as motivated to ride. Of course, for me, part of my motivation is to make it up and over mountain passes and ride long distances with my friends, so if I had a slow, heavy bike, it wouldn't be much fun.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses!! I felt I've been getting a better workout on my heavy bike. Someday maybe I'll have the extra $$$ to get a road bike, but I've had my bike for over 15 years and am used to it.

Oh, and I will definitely try the HRM . Have one and haven't used it yet.

Thanks all!!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses!! I felt I've been getting a better workout on my heavy bike. Someday maybe I'll have the extra $$$ to get a road bike, but I've had my bike for over 15 years and am used to it.

Oh, and I will definitely try the HRM . Have one and haven't used it yet.

Thanks all!!

meh, if you aren't planning on group rides with roadies there isn't a lot of reason to get a road bike...
  • SniffTheSweat
    Options
    Hey OP. I used to do amateur bicycle races, cycled 1000's of miles each year etc and previous owner of a racing bike (it got stolen).

The only way the weight of the bike matters is if you're going uphill. In that scenario the gross weight difference between a light and medium/heavier bike is negligible unless you are already at a very, very high level of fitness because you'll be carrying multiples of that weight difference on your body as excess fat anyway.

What matters on a bike is
    a) the quality and width of your wheels/tyres
    b) Uhh, that was it.

Everything else is irrelevant. If you don't have cleats that could be responsible for other people cycling faster then you because they can put power through the pedal through a larger section of their pedal strokes allowing them to achieve faster speeds especially uphill.

I can average 18mph on a mountain bike with very thick tyres and heavy cheap suspensions in a very hilly region. It's not your bike that's causing you to get overtaken :)

2) to address your second question, cycling doesn't use up as many calories as people think it does. 500-750 region per hour is okay and covers calories burnt for a broad range of fitness levels.
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I seem to work harder on the mountain bike.

I think thats because the suspension not only softens the ride but acts to soak up some of your inputted effort
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Rolling resistance (tires) is far more important (unless you live in the Alps) than the weight of the bike. Riding a bike with knobbly off-road tires will increase the amount of effort needed on a flat surface. A lighter wheel also helps as you have less inertia to overcome.