Tracking spinning on MFP and Fitbit

Options
Just got my new Fitbit One and I'm really confused. I've read that I'm supposed to input my exercise—today, for example, was my spin class—here and then it'll be uploaded into my Fitbit account (I have already linked them), but the activity isn't showing up in my Fitbit tracker. How do I fix this, so my activity is included on Fitbit?

Also, am I supposed to take my Fitbit off during my spin class if I'm entering it here? If I wear it and enter the activity manually, does it then double-count my activity?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm such a newbie with this :-/

Replies

• jf224
    jf224 Posts: 7
    Options
    Just to clarify: my food/calories from MFP are showing up in my FitBit account—just not my spinning activity.
  • jf224
    Options
    Just bumping this up...can anyone help me on this?
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm going spinning tomorrow and I'm going to put my One on my shoe (I would do that with my MOVband) and I'm going to compare it to my heart rate monitor/calorie burn and go from there. I'll let you know what my findings are :D
  • jf224
    Options
    That would be great—would really appreciate hearing what you discover! Thanks :-)

FYI, i felt that the One tracked the incline well during the spin class, but definitely didn't track the distance/# of steps. I'm just so confused about where I'm supposed to input what info!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    After doing a bit of poking around on the internetz, it looks like most people either clip in on the bike shorts at the thigh (they say it stays on pretty well), clip it on their sock, or tie it in to your shoe laces. All those suggestions will supposedly give you a pretty accurate reading.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    fitbit is lousy for determining cals burned while cycling. Use your HRM or this site to figure out your cals burned. http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

When you enter the info here on MFP make sure to enter your start time and duration as well as cals burned. That should help you get the cals to show up on fitbit's dashboard. If you dont enter the correct start time, you will get a double dip of cals.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    yeah normally it would clip to your shoe. I have the body media armband and I need to put it on my calf as it is normally on my left arm mid way. I went biking and it didn't register ANYTHING for steps/pedals lol so I was all O_O wth!!, so next time I go out biking I will be doing this, or might just get a HRM to add to my fitness stash :)
  • jf224
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! I will get the hang of this yet :-)
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I wear the One all the time and let it do it's thing figuring out calores. However, when doing exercising I wear my HRM and enter that exercise on MFP. FB and MFP will get the calories adjusted so you're not double dipping. Any activity that is not similar to walking or running the FB step count will be off. Though you usually will still get some credit for steps. Just not as many was you might think. Riding a bike is a perfect example of this. Use a HRM and log the activity in MFP. Since your new to the One. Another suggestion... clip it so that when it comes out of the holder (and it will) it falls into your pocket and not on the ground. Many have lost their One after a few months of use. The only logging you should do on the actual Fitbit site (or app) is your sleep. Everything else needs to be done via MFP.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Well, after my 40 minute spin session this morning, I burned 657 calories. However, I didn't wear my One on my shoe like I wanted to (I had it clipped on my sports bra) and I didn't get an accurate reading from wearing it on there, my One said I only made 600-some odd steps, just in the morning, which I know 450-something I already made on my way to the spin room.
    I wear the power sport shorts when i spin, so i don't think clipping the One to my shorts would work out, I'll have to try it on my shoe next time. I intend to spin 3 days a week, so I will have PLENTLY of chances to figure this out!
    But, most of the time, I'd prefer to go by my HRM than just regular information from MFP to determine caloric burn. I'm going to keep my eye on this board to update/read updates :D
  • dorkallie
    dorkallie Posts: 3
    Options
    Well, after my 40 minute spin session this morning, I burned 657 calories. However, I didn't wear my One on my shoe like I wanted to (I had it clipped on my sports bra) and I didn't get an accurate reading from wearing it on there, my One said I only made 600-some odd steps, just in the morning, which I know 450-something I already made on my way to the spin room.
    I wear the power sport shorts when i spin, so i don't think clipping the One to my shorts would work out, I'll have to try it on my shoe next time. I intend to spin 3 days a week, so I will have PLENTLY of chances to figure this out!
    But, most of the time, I'd prefer to go by my HRM than just regular information from MFP to determine caloric burn. I'm going to keep my eye on this board to update/read updates :D
  • dorkallie
    dorkallie Posts: 3
    Options
    @jigsawxyouht

oops....hit enter too soon!
    wondering if there has been any follow up about this?
  • spomish
    spomish Posts: 1
    Options
    The problem with the Fitbit and Spinning is that your effort isn't just about how many times you turn the pedals--your output is highly correlated to the amount of resistance you have on the bike. In fact, the more frequently you turn the pedals over in a given class, the less likely you are to have made a significant output in terms of wattage. In other words, the number of times you turn the pedals and the amount of resistance you are in some ways in opposition. And Spinning (and to some extent outdoor biking) has way less to do with your body weight than walking or running because it's not weight bearing. You will never get an accurate reading or estimation of your calories burned using a tool that is intended to measure steps and makes calculations on output based on number of steps x body weight.

As other posters have indicated, your best bet is to wear your HRM and use that to count you calorie expenditure and manually enter it.

(I'm a spinning instructor.)