Is It Just Me?

Options
I know the max says to lose about 2lbs a week.. so this is my question. When I'm taking in 1200 calories.. I'm 5'4 and 233.. but I'm dropping about a half pound a day. I am exercising... my usual 45 minutes 4-5 times a week on the elliptical machine.

Is it necessary for me to eat more calories? I'm just trying to do this the 'right' way. I used to do the 'starving' and other unhealthy things when I was younger. All of this extra weight came with being pregnant with three kids. I love them dearly.. but it's not 'baby fat' anymore.

Also, one more thing. I'm really worried about having a ton of extra skin when I'm done losing the weight. I am 35.. Will exercise possibly keep the extra skin to a minimum?

I would certainly appreciate any comments you might have.. Thanks :wink:

Replies

• lilprnss
    lilprnss Posts: 52
    Options
    I know the max says to lose about 2lbs a week.. so this is my question. When I'm taking in 1200 calories.. I'm 5'4 and 233.. but I'm dropping about a half pound a day. I am exercising... my usual 45 minutes 4-5 times a week on the elliptical machine.

Is it necessary for me to eat more calories? I'm just trying to do this the 'right' way. I used to do the 'starving' and other unhealthy things when I was younger. All of this extra weight came with being pregnant with three kids. I love them dearly.. but it's not 'baby fat' anymore.

Also, one more thing. I'm really worried about having a ton of extra skin when I'm done losing the weight. I am 35.. Will exercise possibly keep the extra skin to a minimum?

I would certainly appreciate any comments you might have.. Thanks :wink:
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    If you are just beginning your diet it is very common that you loose weight faster than the 2 pounds. Later you will have weeks where you loose nothing for a while and then drop a few ponds again. For most people that is how it works.
    If you really keep loosing 2 pounds a day = 14 pounds a week that is most definitely too fast!

So... how long are you doing this and how long are you loosing that much weight? Are you using the scale every day or how do you know?

If that does not change after a week or maximum 2, you need to make adjustments. Up your calories. Check your activity level. Maybe you need to raise that (will lead to more calories to eat). Things of that nature.

The exercise will certainly help you tone and help to keep the extra skin to a minimum. You can do exercises that target specifically the areas you are concerned abot. That builds or tones the muscles in that area and via that way also the skin. How much? I honestly don't know. You would have to ask people who already lost a lot of weight.
  • shashod
    shashod Posts: 103
    Options
    Half a pound a day would be 3.5lbs in a week so while it's more than the recommended 1-2lbs per week I wouldn't worry. Weight-loss tends to be quicker at the start and then slows to a steadier pace. I have gone 3 weeks without losing anything and then I'll lose 4 lbs the next week, averaging it out it's still 1lb per week...

Weight can flucatate from day to day so we shouldn't weigh in every day - easier said than done. I do hop on the scales everyday but my 'weigh-in' day is Monday and that's the only day that counts for me!

I was really concious of excess skin too and had noticed it starting to wrinkle but in the last two weeks it seems to have 'readjusted' :drinker: I try to drink plenty water as I think that helps and exercise as well.

Best of luck :smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I've lost about that average, too, so don't worry.

When you start heavier, you burn more calories in exercise, and you can get a bigger daily deficit in your calories, so the weight comes off much faster.

It will slow down eventually. I'm just hoping mine doesn't slow down too quickly!

Don't worry about "skin" until the time comes that you have lost all your weight--by then, it might not be an issue.