• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    *checks my butt in the mirror, looks at a "before" picture*

I'm good. Thanks.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There truly is only one reason to exercise: To increase your metabolism in order to burn more calories 24 hours a day, seven days a week. What is the only style of exercise that accomplishes that goal? Strength training. Increasing your metabolism through strength training is the key to successful, permanent weight loss.

Bollocks......

So, Kara Goucher should weigh 300 lbs?
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I read this article, and I couldn't help but laugh.

I'm fairly certain that my cardio routine isn't making me fat. Doing the opposite.

I also liked the about the author part. He has a degree, but not in health science or anything related because it would state as much. It's probably in business, or english, or something. But he has a degree, and he lost weight. So he's an expert on exercise and how the body works, apparently.
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think that both cardio and strength training is the best way to go.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    "There truly is only one reason to exercise: To increase your metabolism in order to burn more calories 24 hours a day, seven days a week. What is the only style of exercise that accomplishes that goal? Strength training. Increasing your metabolism through strength training is the key to successful, permanent weight loss."

This is bullcrap.

There are MANY reasons to exercise, depends on the individual, and one of the BIGGEST reasons to do it is actually for the cardiovascular benefits related to your heart, lungs, and overall circulatory system. The increase in the efficiency of blood circulation is a HUGE contributor to decrease in many age-related diseases, which have NOTHING to do with metabolism and burning more calories.

Really, I hate articles like this. While I appreciate the mentality encouraging people, especially women, to participate in more vigorous activities that encourage muscle development, the idea that you should just stop doing cardio because it's now "evil" is a fad-related mentality, and is total bullcrap.

The BEST approach to working out is to find a balance. Yes, you need some cross-training with resistance, because it helps to maintain muscle mass, which contributes to decreasing bone density loss over time. But you also need to have cardio workouts where your heart and lungs have to work past their normal level of comfort, because it increases the overall efficiency of your blood system, encouraging your heart and muscles to use oxygen more efficiently, which connects EVERYTHING else and impacts every other organ system in your body, not just your skeletal muscles. Sustained cardio, like long-distance running, actually encourages your overall system to be much more efficient with what it uses, and combining high-intensity training, weights, and sustained effort training is a great way to be a balanced athlete overall, because it keeps your body at balanced level of fitness.

Find a balance. Balance is great. Articles like that encouraging a lack of balance suck.

End of rant.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I see that one of the comments at the bottom of the article says (full quote):

"American raised in CALI today are very ignorant and lazy becoming a walking buffoon as in the duck theory. Self absorbed is the narcisstic and cannot ever be trusted. Losers. Take care of your temple, home, car, and family and you have my respect,otherwise go Fk yourself a holes."

What does this even mean? :laugh:

As far the article, it's rubbish. The title alone "Your Cardio Routine Is Making You Fat" is rubbish. It's possible that doing hours of cardio alone with no strength training may not be as effective in losing weight/fat as a mixture of both activities would be, but no one with any sense would say that cardio MAKES anyone fat.

And in the article itself...
    "Your Posture: Do you really want the rounded shoulder, chin jutting alignment of a runner, stair stepper or spin fanatic?"

This sounds suspiciously close to those crazy old-school eugenic characterizations of less desirable peoples: just substitute "drunkard", "morally deficient" or "ethnicity of your choice" for 'runner, stair stepper or spin fanatic'.

It's all rubbish.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think that anyone that makes a broad statement like that is flat out wrong. He does make some good points, but ppl can get injured with weights and doing interval training. And the exercise reward eating can come from any form of exercise really. I say do whatever works for you.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    ummmmm...

I'm pretty sure I was fat BEFORE I did cardio.

But maybe I'm wrong. I knew all this bike riding was going to catch up with me sooner or later. You burn the highest % of cals from fat while sleeping, so probably I should stay in bed instead of going outside or to the gym.
  • dbunny11
    dbunny11 Posts: 2
    Options
    Well I thought it was all cardio too, as a means to lose weight until I found out its more muscle training. I was wondering why I still lost all that weight before... it's because I used biggest loser dvds and they combine the two. So if your scared or in doubt, refer to them and do not fear.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Methinks the site title aptly describes the author - a yahoo!
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Funny.. I lost 21 lbs doing cardio ... and I'm amazed those Olympic athletes running the marathons don't weigh a ton...
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The title is obviously intended to attract readers. There are some valid points in the article in regard to resistance training, however, a good exercise plan can certainly include cardio, but should also include weight training and a healthy diet.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    "Your Posture: Do you really want the rounded shoulder, chin jutting alignment of a runner, stair stepper or spin fanatic?"

This - coupled with other articles about weight training for women
    Women, do you want to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Both judgemental articles based on an opinion that worked for one person doing one type of thing.
    While I'm aware of how incredibly difficult the latter is to achieve for women - I just want to say, what if the answer is yes, to either question? Does that make the reader bad, and feel ashamed for their goals?
    That's not right either.

I know a lot of people have said this, but I agree with them. Finding a balance is pretty much a good thing, but if you don't want to do cardio, don't do it.. same for strength.
  • nameistyler
    Options
    Most of you are missing the point. Strength training increases muscle mass, resulting in a faster metabolism along with enhanced definition. Heavy cardio will help you lose weight, but at the cost of lean muscle mass. You may look better than you did "before" but that doesn't mean you can't develop your body more efficiently. Interval training, or high-intensity workouts for shorter durations has a much better result than long distance cardio. Compare the average marathon runners body to a sprinter's. I've personally went both routes and I've had significantly more results from strength training and lowering the heavy cardio. There have been a lot of misconceptions developed over time regarding weight loss, and frankly some people just refuse to let go of preconceived ideas.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Lost me at "there's only one reason to exercise."
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I skimmed the article earlier today. The one thing I did agree at least somewhat is that 30 minutes or so of cardio along with strength training really is "enough." If someone aspires to be a marathoner or triathlete or whatever great, but if you are just trying to be healthy and lose some weight than 30 minutes really is good. I personally lost 50 pounds never doing more than 4 days a week of 30-60 minutes of exercise (mixture of cardio and strength training) on those days.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    just some idiot guy on Yahoo trying to sell his latest weight loss scam book focused (not surprisingly) on avoiding cardio. the article is rife with false premises, silly assumptions, and broscience.

oh yeah, the guy's credentials??? ...he has an MBA from Wharton.

crap article on Yahoo is crap article.

:laugh:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Most of you are missing the point. Strength training increases muscle mass, resulting in a faster metabolism along with enhanced definition. Heavy cardio will help you lose weight, but at the cost of lean muscle mass. You may look better than you did "before" but that doesn't mean you can't develop your body more efficiently. Interval training, or high-intensity workouts for shorter durations has a much better result than long distance cardio. Compare the average marathon runners body to a sprinter's. I've personally went both routes and I've had significantly more results from strength training and lowering the heavy cardio. There have been a lot of misconceptions developed over time regarding weight loss, and frankly some people just refuse to let go of preconceived ideas.

why do you assume people aren't combining both cardio and strength training? the author of the crap Yahoo article made that mistake, which is why he is worthy of ridicule. lots of people here do both.