Bodybugg VS Fitbit

Options
Pros and Cons? Which would you get?! Or is there something else out there that's even better!?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Body media fit is same as bodybug but links to MFP. Much more accurate than fitbit.
  • crystall2190
    crystall2190 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Is there an annual fee for that one?
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I opted for the bodymedia fit / bodybug for the accuracy of the readings. The main reason to go Fitbit over Bodybugg is Fitbit lacks the additional cost of a subscription. It is also smaller which some people like.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    You might want to read this review: (compares fitbit one, jawbone up, nike fuel, and bodymedia)
    http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/

Personally I went with the fitbit zip. It was in my budget and doesn't require a subscription fee. It also links with MFP. It seems to underestimate my calories burned (but so does MFP for that matter), but I'd rather have something that underestimates than over estimates.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    The subscription fee is minimal and like lots of things in life- you get what you pay for!!
  • nickyb632
    nickyb632 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for fitbit because i have one, but i love it! its so good if you're a walker/runner/eliptical(er)/cardio addict. It keeps me motivated and probably way more accurate than just going with mfp alone. Only thing I don't like is it seems to give me back calories just for my daily activities and i feel as if i were to eat them all it'd be a disaster so if i'm going to eat back calories i try to make them just work out calories. But all in all I love it!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I can only speak for fitbit because i have one, but i love it! its so good if you're a walker/runner/eliptical(er)/cardio addict. It keeps me motivated and probably way more accurate than just going with mfp alone. Only thing I don't like is it seems to give me back calories just for my daily activities and i feel as if i were to eat them all it'd be a disaster so if i'm going to eat back calories i try to make them just work out calories. But all in all I love it!

But that's the same as putting your activity level up a level- would you mind eati g them then? You must have it set too low if fitbit regularly gives you extra calories for daily activity. I'm not saying it matters, just that you should be eating them regardless of if they are from specific exercise or just activity.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'd never wear anything large and noticeable so that eliminates most trackers like this. It doesn't matter how accurate something is if I won't use it.

Fitbit One comes out on top when I research...but I don't have one yet.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I'd never wear anything large and noticeable so that eliminates most trackers like this. It doesn't matter how accurate something is if I won't use it.

It doesn't show if you wear sleeves- just ruffle both sleeves up a bit.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Honestly, I don't want to have to arrange my sleeves to keep a tracker hidden, and it's too damn hot outside right now to be wearing sleeves long enough to cover that. How can you wear it for a formal occasion? In the middle of summer? With a sundress or a tank top? I really don't need for my personal fitness journey to become a topic of conversation for the entire world (or, more particularly, my entire family). If that works for you, then that's fine, but it would make me really uncomfortable.

Personally, I went with the Fitbit One. It's discreet, which was hugely important to me, it's a one-time price (sorry, no way I was paying a subscription just to use my own information), and it's easy to use. I think as far as accuracy goes with these things, none of them are perfect, and the fitbit gives me a good enough idea. When I've used it for walks/runs and compared the calorie output with the one I get from my garmin watch, they were pretty darn close to each other, which is a good enough test for me in terms of accuracy.

Also, I don't get the person who is complaining that the fitbit counts your calories from daily activity... to me, that's the whole point in using something like this. If you only want it to count your workouts, then don't wear it the rest of the time, but to me the whole point is to get a readout on how many calories I burn over the course of my regular activities during the day. I set my mfp account to sedentary to just get a base number and then I let the fitbit add calories from there based on how active I am that particular day. I've found this to be a much more useful way of managing my day than just setting a generic activity level, given that I will have days or weeks when I am on my feet all the time and then some when I'm not doing a whole lot.

Highly recommend the Fitbit One. I'm sure the Bodybugg is great, but it wouldn't have worked for me to wear that big thing on my arm all the time.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

Not interested in buying and wearing clothes to conceal a bulky armband.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit one.

I think you are going to find people who love the device they have and would only use the one they have. I am one of those people.

The subscription fee was a detractor but not the reason I stayed away from the Body Media. I live in SoCal and wear short sleeve/tank tops nearly everyday when I am not working (and sometimes then also). I did not want to wear a device on my arm that the world could see, and ask questions about. I dont mind talking about my fitness or weight loss (because I am losing) but I dont want to be bothered with the "what is that on your arm" question all day. I know this happens because my sister had the body bugg and she would get asked it all the time.

My fitbit one is good for me. It estimates how many cals I burn based on my daily activities. I use a HRM to determine how much I burned during fitness and manually enter that info into MFP (which overrides the info provided by fitbit for that time frame). Its a good enough estimator and I am doing well on it.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Love my fitbit one.

I think you are going to find people who love the device they have and would only use the one they have. I am one of those people.

The subscription fee was a detractor but not the reason I stayed away from the Body Media. I live in SoCal and wear short sleeve/tank tops nearly everyday when I am not working (and sometimes then also). I did not want to wear a device on my arm that the world could see, and ask questions about. I dont mind talking about my fitness or weight loss (because I am losing) but I dont want to be bothered with the "what is that on your arm" question all day. I know this happens because my sister had the body bugg and she would get asked it all the time.

My fitbit one is good for me. It estimates how many cals I burn based on my daily activities. I use a HRM to determine how much I burned during fitness and manually enter that info into MFP (which overrides the info provided by fitbit for that time frame). Its a good enough estimator and I am doing well on it.

I'm in Scotland so it's rarely warm enough to wear short sleeves. I think climate is probably a big deciding factor. I'm on holiday in Italy at the moment and left my BMF at home for that reason and bought mt fitbit zip with me (which I bought before the BMF).
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    NONE
  • jaz050465
    Options
    NONE

Not helpful!!! Can you explain why you say that.
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've been going back and forth on this for the past month - and I think I've gotten it down to deciding on a BodyBugg. The FitBit link seems really cool and convenient - but the bogybugg by Bodymedia has so much more to it as far as sensors and what it actually calculates; it bound to be a more accurate count. I am really curious about my normal daily expenditure and what I typically burn on days that I'm at work with little additional excercise - as well as my mega cardio days. I want something to tell my my daily burn and not just the 60 minutes I'm wearing my HRM.

So - I choose BodyBugg, and I'll probably fork out the xtra $$ fo the subscription as well. It's about $120 right now on Amazon.

* My two cents* :flowerforyou:
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    What type of activity are you doing?

I have a Bodymedia fit, but I just recommended the FitBit to my coworker. I have been strength training, the FitBit really isn't set up to reliably monitor calories burned for that type of activity, Bodymedia is. My coworker specifically said she wanted a better pedometer--FitBit is perfect for that.

I love all of the data I get from my Bodymedia, but I really do not like how obvious it is. I've had it long enough now that I have a pretty good idea of what I'll burn, based on my planned activities. If I'm going to be out at social events, I don't wear it. And to the guy who pointed it out on the airplane as I was boarding: mind your own f*ing business. So, yeah, I do wish it wasn't so visible. But it's a tradeoff, I guess. I don't really have a problem with the subscription fee.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I've been going back and forth on this for the past month - and I think I've gotten it down to deciding on a BodyBugg. The FitBit link seems really cool and convenient - but the bogybugg by Bodymedia has so much more to it as far as sensors and what it actually calculates; it bound to be a more accurate count. I am really curious about my normal daily expenditure and what I typically burn on days that I'm at work with little additional excercise - as well as my mega cardio days. I want something to tell my my daily burn and not just the 60 minutes I'm wearing my HRM.

So - I choose BodyBugg, and I'll probably fork out the xtra $$ fo the subscription as well. It's about $120 right now on Amazon.

* My two cents* :flowerforyou:

Body bug and Bodymedia fit are different. Same hardware but different software. Bodymedinseems the most popular.

As pos above says. It's not sewn onto you, you can take it off for an event and then manually estimate how many minutes you walked during that time.