Snacking in the car

Options
sirrahsim
sirrahsim Posts: 20 Member
My family is hitting the road next week to go visit family. The drive is going to be about 28 hours not including stops! In the past, I have relied on crunching on chips or devouring a bag of reese pieces to keep me alert while driving for extended periods of time and I am a little worried about this trip! A tiny car with 2 adults and 2 kids does not leave room for a cooler so I need shelf stable snacks that I can (somewhat) mindlessly munch on!

Ideas?? A granola bar halfway between meals will not cut it.

Replies

• ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Turkey jerkey? Dry roasted edamame? Almonds?
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I have to eat, drink to stay alert, I sip tea, sip diet pepsi max, monster 0 cal, but to eat, I have found sunflower seeds in the shell, I think a cup in shell is around 200, it is kinda messy, lol, and some people may complain about the cracking noise, but it works, also listening to stories on the radio, hope this helps, I'm telling my hubby, i'm not the only one that has to eat to not fall asleep when driving, lol.
    LOuise
  • beawych
    beawych Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    air popped popcorn. ???
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    air popped popcorn. ???
    great idea!!!!!
    I'm going to use this one:)
  • noreen1009
    noreen1009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've switched to an assortment of small snack bags--grape tomatoes, celery sticks, baby carrots--To keep them cool, freeze a bottle of water and put it in the bag with them. And I do know that this is no substitute for Reese's--but it's working for me.
  • cyclebummer
    Options
    Sunflower seeds. Keeps you busy and takes more energy to extract the kernal then it provides. I toast mine in the oven and chew and swallow hull and and kernal. Yeah weird, but no mess and loads of fiber with few cals.
  • sirrahsim
    sirrahsim Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    excellent ideas! thank you :)
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    we usually take dried fruit (doesn't smell like fresh fruit, or go off) like banana chips, mango, dates, yogurt coated fruit etc;

home made baked vegetable crisps (chips if your US)

home made popcorn with just salt and a little oil, any flavouring you like i put a bit of chilli pepper in - then you can make it large quantities but bag it into small portions.

mixed nuts (flavoured or plain)

mixed seeds (flavoured or plain)

lots of water, doesn't matter if it goes warm.

This usually lasts us our trip to my mums (8 hour one way) all fits the glove box, my footwell, bottles down the door side of my seat or the seat backs without taking up heaps of space.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live but Trader Joes has amazing snacks, heres a list of what I would snack on.

1. Grapes
    2. Freeze Dried fruit ( make sure its freeze dried, it very low calorie)
    3. Dried Green Beans
    4. Seaweed Strips
    5. Edamame is great
    6. Rosemary Raisin crackers (12@90calories) or any other low calorie healthy crackers
    7. High fiber cerial
    8. for a sweet treat I like Apple Cinnamon multigrain sticks you can eat a ton and they are very low calorie
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Have you ever made tomato jerky?? It's great. Put some olive oil, a little balsamic vinegar and a few drops of liquid hickory smoke in a bowl. Use a pastry brush and lightly brush some of the mix over some tomato slice. Lightly salt and pepper and sprinkle some thyme or basil. Put them in a dehydrator or on baking sheet and dry (or bake at 170f) until they are dried out and rubbery. Take them out, remove from the sheets and put on wire cooling racks until they are cooled. They are really good. A little on the tart side.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Protein bars to fill you up.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Lifesavers or lollipops are the only thing I've found that can keep me awake when I'm at the limit.