Should I be lifting while trying to lose fat? ..

Options
2011EP
2011EP Posts: 95 Member
Hi all,

So I know that increasing muscle mass increases your metabolic rate, etc, but I am noticing that I am getting quite bulky and broad but with the layers of fat on top. Rather than lifting weights, should I just focus on moves that use body weight? I feel like my body is getting out of proportion...

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes, strength training + cardio + diet will yield the best results imho.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Yes - do both - weights and cardio - you'll have amazing results and you won't bulk up! :)
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Keep going!

This is what scares people off and they stop before seeing the true results.

There will be a period where your body builds muscle before it starts to lose fat (especially if its your first time doing real strength training/lifting) but soon your muscle growth will slow and the fat will start to come off.

Give it a few more weeks and see where you're at.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Hi, YES....you should be lifting. I started a compound lifting program at 210 lbs about 7 months ago. I'm at 164 now and looking pretty good--nice firm legs and arms, curves are looking good! I still have fat to lose, but I'm certain that had I just done cardio (I hate cardio) and not lifted, my body wouldn't look nearly as good as it does now, and I also wouldn't be as strong.

Stick with the weights, make sure you're adding weight so that you're lifting progressively heavier. The fat will come off if you keep your calories in check and continue to lift, and you'll be left with a body that I'm pretty sure you'll be quite happy with. :flowerforyou:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Yes, strength training + cardio + diet + adequate protein will yield the best results for retaining the most existing muscle while on a deficit.

fixed it for you.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Only read the title, but the answer is yes :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The answer is always lift.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Only read the title, but the answer is yes :flowerforyou: :drinker:
    I think everyone read only the title here...
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    In order to burn fat, build muscle, shape your body and lose weight, you should lift weights at least 3 times a week and also pay equal attention to your diet. Aerobic training in the form of cardiovascular workouts are also essential. Doing all three in conjunction can help you attain a lean, muscular and sculpted body. You can also optimize your muscle to fat ratio and keep fat away on a permanent basis.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-weight-lifting-workouts-can-help-you-lose-weight.html#b
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So I know that increasing muscle mass increases your metabolic rate, etc, but I am noticing that I am getting quite bulky and broad but with the layers of fat on top. Rather than lifting weights, should I just focus on moves that use body weight? I feel like my body is getting out of proportion...

please share your secret for how to gain muscle while eating at a deficit, because I'm trying to gain muscle, and I'm eating at a surplus and lifting some really heavy barbells, and i've only managed to gain 3lb in 9 weeks and I doubt that's pure muscle, it's probably mostly water/glycogen.

when you train, your muscles can get "pumped" they can end up looking a little bigger from that. You may weigh a little more (or not see a loss on the scale for a while) because your muscles are storing water and glycogen. But they're not actually growing. Your muscles will not carry on getting bigger. If you're eating at a deficit, you'll continue to lose fat, and you will end up slimmer. If you have broad shoulders and a broad frame generally, then that's what you have, it's from your skeleton and you can't change it. You'll have broad shoulders whether you weight train or not. But losing fat will make you look smaller overall. It is so extremely difficult for women to build up a significant amount of muscle, that when you combine weight training with eating at a deficit, women get smaller, not bigger. Weight training improves the shape and "firmness" of your muscles and it helps to ensure that what your body is losing is fat, not muscle or bone mass. Even if you deliberately eat at a surplus like I'm doing, it is extremely difficult to make the actual muscles bigger. And I have a large frame and good genetics for this kind of thing. So yes, carry on lifting.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    The answer is always lift.

^^^^Agreed
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lift and do cardio....if your main goal is body composition the cardio is optional.
  • sixibabey
    sixibabey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    just do cardio so u dont get bulked
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    just do cardio so u dont get bulked

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: trololo
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have enough QUANTITY of muscle mass. Now you can further train for either endurance or power. Inproving quality will also burn more calories passively.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

continue lifting but adjust your diet.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    you lift while in calorie deficit to retain lean mass...
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

please share your secret for how to gain muscle while eating at a deficit, because I'm trying to gain muscle, and I'm eating at a surplus and lifting some really heavy barbells, and i've only managed to gain 3lb in 9 weeks and I doubt that's pure muscle, it's probably mostly water/glycogen.

when you train, your muscles can get "pumped" they can end up looking a little bigger from that. You may weigh a little more (or not see a loss on the scale for a while) because your muscles are storing water and glycogen. But they're not actually growing. Your muscles will not carry on getting bigger. If you're eating at a deficit, you'll continue to lose fat, and you will end up slimmer. If you have broad shoulders and a broad frame generally, then that's what you have, it's from your skeleton and you can't change it. You'll have broad shoulders whether you weight train or not. But losing fat will make you look smaller overall. It is so extremely difficult for women to build up a significant amount of muscle, that when you combine weight training with eating at a deficit, women get smaller, not bigger. Weight training improves the shape and "firmness" of your muscles and it helps to ensure that what your body is losing is fat, not muscle or bone mass. Even if you deliberately eat at a surplus like I'm doing, it is extremely difficult to make the actual muscles bigger. And I have a large frame and good genetics for this kind of thing. So yes, carry on lifting.

True that, girls act like they can gain so much muscle when most guys have a difficult time doing so and guys have more testosterone!