Eating Clean @ Mexican Resturants

Options
So, I've been eating "clean" for a week and so far, so good. But, Ive been cooking/preparing everythung (no eating out). I'm not perfect by any means, and I'm still learning what is in the food I am eating (some of the crap I was eating was just plain crap!)... Anyways, tonight hubby wants to go out to a Mexican resturant with friends... Perhaps there isn't a darn thing I should eat... Any advice on what my best options are???

Replies

• NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    i was looking here in the mexican foods, tamales, tacos, just for that, there is such a huge variation in sodium and calories. Some of them have lower calories, like 500 each, but high in sodium. So each restaurant varies, and I too am wondering about that.

I think the cheese, sour cream and anything fried might be the first to eliminate as for calories/fat.

It looks like a tamale might have the least damage.

Salsa might be good for a topping, and lettuce and tomatoes and onions.

As for anything else, I am not sure.. it might be pick a salad if you can, but watch the toppings. Check the food database here for hints, or maybe your restaurant might have nutrition info.
  • tamlynnturner
    Options
    I always get Tortilla Soup with no cheese, and guacamole. my problem is the chips, but I try.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Mexican food. You might be able to see a menu if you Google the restaurant. I agree, go easy or skip the sour cream, fried food, and the cheese. Check the calories in guacamole. Avocado is high calorie, but it's a good fat and has tons of nutrition. Enjoy -- there should be lots of healthy choices.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    So, I've been eating "clean" for a week and so far, so good. But, Ive been cooking/preparing everythung (no eating out). I'm not perfect by any means, and I'm still learning what is in the food I am eating (some of the crap I was eating was just plain crap!)... Anyways, tonight hubby wants to go out to a Mexican resturant with friends... Perhaps there isn't a darn thing I should eat... Any advice on what my best options are???

What is unclean about veggies, meat, cheese, and tortillas???
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    fajitas with no flour tortllas add corn tortillas instead, no sour cream or cheese. You will have peppers, chicken or beef, sometimes shrimp. Salsa is good. One meal. Also any corn tortilla taco is always better than a burritto. Skip the refrieds sometimes cab ne ok, but who knows what is in them. A taco salad NOT in a bowl no sour cream, extra veggies.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    the chips are calories bombs be aware! It is too easy to eat way more than a serving of 13 chips.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I get the fajitas and I only eat the meat and veggies. No rice and no tortillas. It was the best option that I found and yummy.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not on the "eating clean" bandwagon anymore. I don't eat grains but that's because they make me feel like garbage, not because I think it's some health or weight-loss miracle. But I'm all about the rest of the so-called "unclean" foods.

With that said, you could order fajitas and just eat the meat, veggies, etc. Skip the tortillas, sour cream, and cheese. I think those are no-nos among the Paleo crowd. There are usually grilled entrees available at Mexican restaurants, as well.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,132 Member
    Options
    I always get a tostada - corn tortilla with refried beans, chicken, huge pile of lettuce on top, an ounce or so of cheese, some salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

Fajita meat is cooked with a lot of butter - NTTAWWT, but still.

I think Mexican is one of the best cuisines. You get lots of fresh veggies, a reasonable portion of meat, good fiber (beans) and it's filling and delicious. The chips are what kill ya. Well, that and too much sour cream.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I love veggie fajitas without the tortillas. Lots of grilled vegetables, rice and salsa!
  • mrsthompson86
    mrsthompson86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not on the "eating clean" bandwagon anymore. I don't eat grains but that's because they make me feel like garbage, not because I think it's some health or weight-loss miracle. But I'm all about the rest of the so-called "unclean" foods.

With that said, you could order fajitas and just eat the meat, veggies, etc. Skip the tortillas, sour cream, and cheese. I think those are no-nos among the Paleo crowd. There are usually grilled entrees available at Mexican restaurants, as well.

Not doing Paleo... just doing my own thing... Not cutting out grains/carbs b/c I'm nursing a five week old, but there is something about white flour that just sticks to my gut! I am thinking shrimp fajitas--- no tortillas will be my best choice. I'm also going to get a big thing of guac--- good fats right? Plus, I'm suppose to eat 400-800 calories extra a day (isn't that nice).
  • mrsthompson86
    mrsthompson86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I always get a tostada - corn tortilla with refried beans, chicken, huge pile of lettuce on top, an ounce or so of cheese, some salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

Fajita meat is cooked with a lot of butter - NTTAWWT, but still.

I think Mexican is one of the best cuisines. You get lots of fresh veggies, a reasonable portion of meat, good fiber (beans) and it's filling and delicious. The chips are what kill ya. Well, that and too much sour cream.

Yes, this would be a good option!
  • relo78
    relo78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    With that said, you could order fajitas and just eat the meat, veggies, etc. Skip the tortillas, sour cream, and cheese. I think those are no-nos among the Paleo crowd. There are usually grilled entrees available at Mexican restaurants, as well

^ Pretty much ditto. I did something similar on Thursday - fajitas without the tortillas or cheese. I had some sour cream (2 T) because it's pretty much my favorite condiment for Mexican food. I'd honestly rather skip the dinner entirely than be without sour cream.

I also skipped the chips and salsa, and quite truthfully, didn't miss them at all. More room for the fajitas.
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking everything not only is it easier to count calories but it cheaper but we do have days when we eat out. When you eat out there is no way to avoid sodium cause most restaurants in order to make there meat appeal add season and that alone is a sodium killer. If you don't want a free day, just watch what you eat for breakfast and lunch and use the rest of the calories for dinner.
  • starlaca
    starlaca Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Get a shrimp cocktail and a small chicken and tortilla soup, no cheese added.
  • katealbright
    katealbright Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My bf's favorite food is Mexican so we eat it ALL the time. Like almost every day lol. I am vegan so I always have a salad with lots of romaine, black beans, peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, cilantro, lime, jalapeno, LOTS OF GUAC (or just sliced avocado), and sometimes brown rice. The veggies I have raw or sautéed. Or sometimes I have lots of rice and less lettuce if I want it heartier. This is SUPER clean! If you notice, all of those ARE whole ingredients, not a bunch of processed junk with 1000 ingredients. For me a huge bowl is usually around 350-500 calories depending on the rice and guac, those are really the only things you have to be careful about calorically.
  • kadr1212
    kadr1212 Posts: 2
    Options
    I live in Mexico. I have learned to skip tortillas completely. I have rice occasionally. I find it a lot easier to eat healthier when it's Mexican fast/restaurant food. I can always get carne asada or "fajitas" (red meat or chicken w/ veggies). Beans are also delicious just boiled and lightly seasoned. Eggs are another go to, al ranchero, divorciados, etc. Salsa doesn't add too many calories either (tomato, onion, and chiles, etc.) I love feeling good about eating out here.... ok well at least having the OPTION to eat out and healthy at the same time. :)
  • kadr1212
    kadr1212 Posts: 2
    Options
    Also, avocados may be calorie packed, but they are a GOOD fat and help your body to metabolize the not so hot stuff. We usually stock them in our fridge because they are so cheap here. Good luck ladies. Hope I helped a little.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You never know how things are cooked. maybe try instead of what to not eat try eating only a very small portion of things and take the rest home, or eat off your hubby's plate. I like to not feel deprived. I usually take a couple (2) of bites of everything and then take the rest home.