Should I cycle creatine?

This sounds like such a n00b question to me, but I've read a lot of conflicting evidence on the subject. I've read that most of the benefit of creatine is in the first week or two of a cycle so it should be cycled (load, maintenance, deload, stop, repeat). I've also read that there's more of a benefit when taken continuously (load, maintenance). I don't know what to believe. If someone has some reputable studies to back up their answer that would be awesome.

Relevant info: My training days alternate between 5x5 and 5x10 and I'm doing an IF recomp/slow cut. I lift every day on a four day body part split and no cardio.

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    The oldest method was load/cycle, then it looked like load/maintain was better, and now they've figured out nope, don't even bother loading, just take it every day forever. Which makes sense if you look at how it works, but I think some people still like the feeling of cycling even if it's not actually doing anything for them.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    The oldest method was load/cycle, then it looked like load/maintain was better, and now they've figured out nope, don't even bother loading, just take it every day forever. Which makes sense if you look at how it works, but I think some people still like the feeling of cycling even if it's not actually doing anything for them.
    I did a week of 20g a day and for the past 2-3 weeks I've been taking 5g a day. I think maintaining would also be better for tracking my weight. When I started creatine I saw my weight jump up like crazy so I stopped weighing myself because I knew it would be a crappy indicator of progress.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    5g a day for a month then you can back off to 5g 4x a week or so
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    This sounds like such a n00b question to me, but I've read a lot of conflicting evidence on the subject. I've read that most of the benefit of creatine is in the first week or two of a cycle so it should be cycled (load, maintenance, deload, stop, repeat). I've also read that there's more of a benefit when taken continuously (load, maintenance). I don't know what to believe. If someone has some reputable studies to back up their answer that would be awesome.

Relevant info: My training days alternate between 5x5 and 5x10 and I'm doing an IF recomp/slow cut. I lift every day on a four day body part split and no cardio.

loading and cycling is not necessary..just take 2.5-5g a day
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    your weight just jumped up because creatine causes you muscles to retain more water than usual, which also is part of the reason your muscles look bigger... but cycling isnt needed really but i have heard that if you cycle it help get better results, im currently testing this out myself, so idk from personal experience.
  • petrinoda
    petrinoda Posts: 1
    Like all things. It may work for someone else but not you. Test out your body first and see how you react. Depending on your body weight will depend how much you should take, but as previously stated in this post 2.5 - 5/g a day will be what you need. Keep up the good work.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    5g a day, every day. No need to cycle. :)