Have you used Polar Heart Rate Monitor Swimming?

Options
Hello. I have a Polar FY7 Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) and love it for running walking aerobics, etc.

Have you used yours during water sports?

The manual says you can use it during swimming to a few feet deep...I am leery though.

I'm just looking to swim laps and count my calories and track my heart rate.
I however do not want to ruin it.

What is your experience with using the HRM in the water?

Thanks!

Replies

• c_ansari
    c_ansari Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've used my Polar FT7 quite a bit while swimming laps. You're just not supposed to push any of the buttons on the watch while it is underwater.
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I think I will go and take a swim a little bit later today. :glasses:
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and often use it when I am swimming laps...

You will probably be surprised how many calories you burn while swimming laps....I know that I was!!!
  • PaintedAlice
    PaintedAlice Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, use my Polar FT4 in the pool to swim laps all the time. It's brilliant. I was dubious at first but very pleased with performance. I tend to lock the buttons before I get in so I can't press anything in the water.
    Happy swimming!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    I've had mine in pools and oceans. Yes, two oceans. I took it to 87 feet underwater. It worked fine. Polar is made by Suunto, who also manufactured my Scuba computer. It says not to push buttons underwater. Ok. I can do that :laugh:
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Heck, yes- I just did! I'm lucky enough to have a pool in my back yard so I do this a lot.

My suspicion is that the rubber seals may deteriorate faster from being exposed to chlorinated water (that happened, unfortunately, to a very expensive waterproof watch I own) , but I've had the FT7 for almost a year now and have always used it while swimming.
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! that settles it. I am going to become a swimmer a few days per week!
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT60 yesterday and I was wondering the same thing because I swim at least 2-3x a week. I'm glad to know it works well underwater! Do yall use the chest strap it came with or did you get the waterproof T31 strap?
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT60 yesterday and I was wondering the same thing because I swim at least 2-3x a week. I'm glad to know it works well underwater! Do yall use the chest strap it came with or did you get the waterproof T31 strap?

Mine came with the strap that had the detachable transmitter on it. I had a lot of problems with that one, in and out of the water. I tried all the usual stuff like making sure it was wet, making sure it was tight enough, laundering it regularly, etc., but it would "stick" at silly levels and then after 20 minutes at, say, 85 bpm, skyrocket to 160 bpm. I ordered a new chest strap and they sent the one with the transmitter molded into the plastic section in the front- is that the T31?- and that's worked much better. I've had it for 6 months now.
  • texanintokyo
    texanintokyo Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Have you been using your's with the strap it came with and has it been working? I just got mine and want to try it out but most people seem to say that I should have ordered the T31 starp. I live overseas so it will take forever to get!!