Fitness newbie; looking for motivation

Options
Hi there. I turned 29 a few months ago and since then I've been feeling like I'm getting old and becoming more unhappy with my weight/body. People would always say you have to eat healthy and exercise to lose weight and I tried... but I would only do the "eat healthy" part (and not very well either). I have never been the kind of person who exercises and I felt like I had to make a big change in my lifestyle and get physical. So for the first time in my life, I joined a gym. I'm 5'4" and found out today when I went to the gym that I'm 217 freaking pounds and 44% body fat!! I was shocked! I thought OH MY GOD... How the hell did I let myself get to this point?! Now I feel more disgusted with myself for letting my weight get so out of control. This sucks. :(

Looking for motivation/inspiration on here and people I can connect with who are going through weight battles too.

Replies

• mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Nice to see you here. Feel free to add me and send me messages. I'm always looking for motivation and I know that the larger my support group, the better my odds.!!!!
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: Congratulations on making an important decision to acquire health and fitness.
    MFP is such a fun thing-logging really works.
    May I suggest something that I read on here.
    A woman had alot of weight she wanted to lose and eventually she did-but she didn't exercise with her weight loss.
    When she finally acheived her weight loss goal she let us know that she had wished she would have exercised along with her weight loss because now she had alot of excess skin.
    Something for you to think about?
    Good Luck in your journey!
  • quiqui29
    quiqui29 Posts: 42
    Options
    Hello I have been overweight all my life and I am new to fitness pal. However I like it and I've rejoined a gym try to go 5 days a week just starting walking for two hours with a friend
    and I ordered a workout DVD as well as my doctor prescribed me phetermine pills
    I am determined to try to get my weight under control. My advice for you is take one day at a time. Start small and slowly add more to your routine (eating habits; exercise;water intake and sleep).
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    First, you should use your starting numbers and your feelings about them as motivation to get you exercising and eating right. Other people can inspire you and motivate you but only YOU can do the work in the end so if you don't "feel like it" or want to, you won't. Take a good long look at where you are starting, get a picture in your mind of where you want to be, and work like hell to get there. :drinker:

You don't have to kill yourself but you DO need to work hard if you want any measure of success. I am 5'2 with SW 252. By changing how I eat and my activity level (workouts and general everyday activities) my CW 219. You can friend me - my diary is open to friends, to get ideas, to bounce ideas off of, and just plain get help.:bigsmile:

Keep in mind, outside sources of motivation run out. You need to form habits that will get you through the "Man, I don't feel like it today" days. Build your MFP Friend list and keep an eye on those who succeed - reach out to them, use them as another tool to keep you going. :flowerforyou:
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'd love to accompany you on this lifestyle choice. You're very brave for joining a gym and MFP; the first step is always the hardest!
  • nursenelson
    nursenelson Posts: 295
    Options
    Hi
    I know how you feel
    we've all been there - hence websites like myfitnesspal
    good on ya for doing something about it - that's the first step

lets do this together
    I'm a veteran at losing weight haha

add me as a friend if you'd like :)
    good luck on your journey
    Heather
  • saleh1988
    saleh1988 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    u r welcome guys
  • irenejames
    Options
    Hey just joined this too.. i,m turning 30 and i,m feeling the same way
  • aftonslater
    aftonslater Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi! congrats on taking the first step :) I'm not new on here but I've been on here more regularly, feel free to add me and good luck on your journey :D
  • CarlaNeverGivenUp
    CarlaNeverGivenUp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You r at right place! Glad your here...you can add me.
  • Stephanie4833
    Options
    You're so right about building new habits. I definitely am the type to say "oh, I don't feel like working out today. I'll do it tomorrow".... and then tomorrow will come and I might tell myself the same thing. This time around, I don't want to fail. Thanks for the advice. :)
  • Stephanie4833
    Options
    You're so right about building new habits. I definitely am the type to say "oh, I don't feel like working out today. I'll do it tomorrow".... and then tomorrow will come and I might tell myself the same thing. This time around, I don't want to fail. Thanks for the advice. :)

Oops! This was meant in reply to cwaters120. Still getting the hang of this message board thing...
  • Becky_Smith72
    Becky_Smith72 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi, you can feel free to add me! I love motivating others and having people for accountability. I've recently lost 65lbs and am passionate about fitness.