Buying a bicycle.. I need advice please! :)

Options
I want to buy a bicycle... but I have a couple of questions and I'm hoping that the great MFP peeps can help steer me in the right direction.

I bought a cheap Target bike years ago and it was SOOO heavy! I hardly ever rode it for that reason. So I know I want a lighter bike, but there are so many out there, road, hybrid, mountain.. I have no idea where to start. A little bit about me and my plans for the bike. I'm not going to be cycling hundreds of miles on the road, I will most likely be riding my bike on neighborhood trails and/or streets 2-3 times a week. What I would like to get is one of those doggy trailers (Don't laugh, I love my pups and think they would enjoy it! :tongue: ) to pull my 2 small pups behind me. I know this will add extra weight as well which is another reason I need a lighter bike. The last problem I have is that I'm a poor nursing student, so I can't drop a grand on a new bike. I've come to terms with the fact I will probably at least have to spend $2-300 to get something decent but again just don't know where to start. I'd appreciate any an all advice for bike shopping.

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Go to a reputable bike shop, talk to them about what you need and see what they have in your price range. They'll help make sure the frame fits and they type of bike fits your needs.

I did fantastic getting into shape hauling my daughters (at that time five and two) all over town. :)
  • kryten83
    kryten83 Posts: 12
    Options
    Just bought a new bike myself after spending weeks going over the possibilities. Agree with the previous poster's advice - go to your local bike shop and try a few different types out to see what feels right. You don't want to spend loads only to end up not liking the bike and having it sitting around.

Personally I ended up getting a Voodoo hybrid for £250 (about $300) - quite chunky tyres were the main reason as I felt very wobbly on thin road slicks. Weight is about 13kg which isn't too bad. The road bikes are about 10kg, but as I'm about 110kg at the moment I wouldn't feel any benefits and I feel like I might crush one.
  • mfclingan
    mfclingan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with the going into the shop. In fact, window shop at a lot of the different stores. They SHOULD all steer you toward the same 'type' of bike (just different brands). Which I suspect will be a hybrid (it's what I would recommend). It is a great bike for a beginner that is going to be riding on multiple types of paths. The window shopping will help you determine the brand you want AND the bike shop that you chose to patronize. Your bike techs and customer service at your chosen shop are also VERY important!

Years ago I bought a Trek hybrid and STILL love it. :-) However, after a few years I decided that I also wanted the speed and just recently purchased a road bike (litespeed) . Road bikes are sooo expensive...so I researched by window shopping (a lot), talking to everyone and researching online. I knew the basis of what I wanted....and then I started scanning craigslist. I bought my bike for a FRACTION of what it retailed for! This poor girl has REALLY nice bike. From my very recent experience with looking for a bike on craigslist, you should have much easier time finding a hybrid on CL. :-)

Good luck!!!!!!
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    Craigslist will have a lot of bikes for under $200. Older bikes (from the 70s) will be heavier as they wil most likely have steel frames. Road bikes tend to be light. I prefer an upright riding position, which is more a commuter style, which is heavier. Things that add weight: steel frame, fenders, chain guard, rear rack, basket. Personally I like those options as they are great for commuting. I'd say the biggest thing is to find one that has a comfortable posture for you, then mess around with the weight.
  • DestinyS29
    DestinyS29 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! :smile:
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Go to a used bike shop, and test ride many bikes. You need the right size frame no matter the use--if it is comfortable, you'll use it more! ARe you in a college town? There are usually shops that sell used bikes near the universities. HTH!
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Also, you might still be able to get last years model. I just got a Giant and absolutely love it. It is a 2012 and I got a great deal.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A used bike is a good idea -IF you know something about bikes. Suggest you call around and see if the bike shops can recommend a good used bike. My wife found a great deal on a used bike JUST BY ASKING. As you are shopping remember you are going to need extras: helmet, bike shorts (not necessarily the spandex versions), spare tire, shoes (highly recommend), etc.

ok, to your needs - for a good new bike expect to pay a minimum of $600 (US)- as a new rider you need to know the frame size is critical, so back to the bike store and see what size frame they recommend. Some manufacturers make women specific bikes.

There are many adjustments that can be made to a bike, frame size is not one of them.

Next- you will want a bike with multiple gears - minimum ten (yee olde 10-speed) - most will come with 10-16. If you are in a hilly area- you might want to consider a "triple" (three gear rings up front). You will need to learn to work the gears. One of the secrets to riding is not having to push real hard on the pedals. The trade is high rpm and low effort on the pedals, especially if you want to pull a trailer.

There are many bike models out there- most beginners go with a "hybrid" - more upright sitting position and a good compromise between a road bike and a dirt bike. Usually have bigger tires and little easier "ride".

As usual, start easy and build slowly. look around and you will find a bike club- look up their website for family rides, beginner classes, fix a tire classes (AAA doesn't work here) and they are usually very welcoming to new people.

Welcome to world of moving meditation,

Len
  • littlewhittles
    littlewhittles Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'd say a hybrid trek would be a good bet for you. :)
  • DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    Go to a reputable bike shop or two, definitely shop around for prices! At any rate, you should be able to get a decent hybrid for roughly 600-750$ I would think. I paid for mine 700$ last year (canadian but the exchange rate was nearly par), it was a Marin bike, made in California and it's not top of the line but way lighter than what I had before. If you find a small local store, you can sometimes work out a deal if you buy other stuff on top of the bike at the same time!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Bike shop.

The knowledgable folks at your friendly neighborhood bike shop can help match you with your perfect ride. Plus you should be able to take the bikes for a quick test ride, to see how they feel to you. It's a dubious day when you purchase a bike you haven't taken for a test ride. You wouldn't buy a car without driving it. Bikes should be the same way.
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'll 13th the bike shop purchase.

I bought an awesome Trek 7.2 FX a few years back for about $500 only... and it's awesome. Still in great shape today, and I've used it quite a bit. It's a hybrid bike. I think my next one is going to be an actual road bike... but that'll have to wait until I move to a bike friendly city down south.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Destiny, I think you have lots of good advice here. I can only emphasize the importance of fit and really thinking through the kind of riding you will do and the availability of bike paths, "friendly" roads, etc. Sometimes you get lucky and will find a decent bike at a thrift shop, but I wouldn't buy anything just because it's a "good price." One poster mentioned Trek, other brands to consider are Giant, and Specialized. You can check out bikes at www.bikesdirect.com to do more window shopping. Have a great time!