How to get past a plateau

Options
For nearly 4 weeks I've been stuck at 205-208 lbs, I got to the gym for cardio at least twice a week and work out at home at least once a week, mainly lifting free weights or doing bodyweight exercises and I rarely go over my calorie limit. I'm not sure if I need to mix things up at the gym, I usually do the elliptical for 30-40 minutes when I'm there, or if I need to start working out for longer periods...I just don't know what to do and I'm getting extremely frustrated. Any tips?

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your measurements? sometimes they go down for a bit and weight can stay the same.

There are some many different strategies, but here are some that have worked for me and other friends:

1- Eat more, I know goes against so much, but sometimes adding some calories is actually what is needed.
    2- change up your exercise routine, go running, do a class. Your body gets used to everything
    3- lower your calories (depends what your number is) if you have lost weight, it is possible you need to recalculate the number of calories you are eating based on your current weight vs. what it was.

Don't try all together, pick one and try it, see if it helps. If not try a different one.

Good luck!
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Play around with your macronutrients. For example, try a day or two of keeping your carbs under 100g, but your protein over 100g. And hang in there! Sometimes when a plateau breaks you get a big "whoosh" and lose a few pounds!
  • Tonigirl519
    Tonigirl519 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I want a big whoosh....I'm within a few pounds of my personal goal and need a big whoosh
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ive also been stuck in a plateau for the past 3 weeks too. I do p90x, and started combining it with running/biking/swimming. I burn around 800+ calories per day, but am still stuck. I think I would have to eat more to get past the plateau. Try to workout maybe 6 days a week for longer periods, or try something more intense. If you go to youtube, theres a large amount of videos out there to help you. Increase the calories you eat, or try doing something different. Take zumba, go biking, hiking, or try whatever else is available in your area. Good luck!
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The biggest factor in weight loss is diet. Try to keep your macros as close as you can to goal :) sodium is my personal worst enemy. Drinks lotsa water and make sure your measuring your food :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Have you checked your measurements? sometimes they go down for a bit and weight can stay the same.

There are some many different strategies, but here are some that have worked for me and other friends:

1- Eat more, I know goes against so much, but sometimes adding some calories is actually what is needed.
    2- change up your exercise routine, go running, do a class. Your body gets used to everything
    3- lower your calories (depends what your number is) if you have lost weight, it is possible you need to recalculate the number of calories you are eating based on your current weight vs. what it was.

Don't try all together, pick one and try it, see if it helps. If not try a different one.

Good luck!

This. If your body has adjusted to what you're doing, switch things up. I plateaued hard for about six months. I started doing Insanity, rather than running and cardio weights, and eating more, and the fat has started coming off again. Play around with things until you find what works again.