An Update: My First Ever Bikini! (Pics!)

Options
PrettyPearl88
PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
My original success story post that I made a few months ago can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952156-don-t-ever-give-up-my-success-story-lots-of-pics

Today, I thought I'd share an update with all of you. In the last 3 years, I've lost 52 lbs. I feel like a new person now...I AM a new person now! I'm blossoming into the young woman I truly am, no longer hidden behind low self-esteem and layers of fat, fear, and shame! Instead of overeating and barely moving, I've gotten my body used to healthy foods in small quantities and I've taken up running (and I actually ENJOY it)! In the few months since I made my first success story post, I've lost 3 more lbs and started lifting weights! (I've been lifting, and starting out VERY easy, for about 3 months now.) My abs especially have gotten so much stronger! I've received so many compliments on the "new me" now that I can't even take it all in haha! (I also injured my knee and haven't been able to run for the last month, BUT that's not the point! I'm trying to be positive here! Haha!)

But the biggest victory of all has been the victory of finally learning to be happy with my body, flaws and all. And my biggest obstacle: the bikini. I've had a love/hate relationship with bikinis my entire life. I never looked good in them...EVER. But I always dreamed of being able to look ACCEPTABLE (not even good, I didn't dare dream THAT big) in a bikini. Growing up as a chubby kid, I envied all of the girls my age who looked cute and dainty in their bikinis. I, on the other hand, felt like a beached whale and wanted to cry every time I tried another one on in a store change room. And for so long, I simply gave up the dream of being able to look and feel good in a bikini. It just seemed like no matter how much weight I lost and no matter what I did, I'd never be able to pull off a bikini.

But I recently decided to revive that dream! So I went out to Victoria's Secret and bought myself a purple bikini top! I bought a few different fun, inexpensive bottoms from Target and JCPenny to go with my new bikini top. And when I tried on my first ever bikini in front of my mirror at home...for the first time in my life, I ACTUALLY FELT PROUD OF MY BODY! No, my body isn't perfect; it's nowhere NEAR perfect. I'm super pale. The skin on my upper thighs is scarred and potmarked from a lifetime battle with shaving, weight gain, and extremely sensitive skin. I still have flab on my tummy. I'm pear-shaped so I'll ALWAYS have chunky thighs, huge hips, and a big booty. I look nothing like a Victoria's Secret swimsuit model or like some fitness queen. But DARNIT, I've worked HARD these past 3 years to make my body look the way it looks today and I'm going to be PROUD of my body from now on! I no longer care if my body is perfect or not. My body is God's masterpiece, refined by 3 years of my own hard work! And I don't care what anyone else thinks...I'm DARN PROUD of my hard work and I'm DARN PROUD of the way my body looks!

So that's what I wanted to share with all of you today! Even when you work hard for YEARS to make your body healthy like I did, you're still going to feel tempted to compare it to some nonsensical, fake idea of "perfection." DON'T LET THOSE THOUGHTS INTO YOUR HEAD! Whatever work you've put into your body, even if it's just a 5 lb loss..THAT'S AWESOME! Be proud of your hard work and be proud of your body! You've worked hard, SHOW IT OFF PROUDLY!!!

And now I know the REAL reason anyone will even look at this post is for the pictures! :laugh: :tongue: So, here's the old me (sorry, no old bathing suit pics since I refused to take them haha!) at 5'4" and 178 lbs:

178lbs.jpg

before5k.jpg

before4.jpg

before3r.jpg

And here's some NEW pics of me, including several recent bathing suit and bikini shots I struggled to take in front of my mirror HAHA! I'm now 5'4" and 126 lbs:

e3v3.jpg

oc58.jpg

tne3.jpg

r8f8.jpg

8m31.jpg

brzm.jpg

35kb.jpg

j2oq.jpg

Keep up the hard work, MFPers and be PROUD! Remember, your body is a masterpiece that reflects beauty and all of your hard work! :bigsmile:

Replies

• bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    beautiful!!:wink::tongue: :devil:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    You look great!!!!

Do you have a really small frame? I'm the same height and can't imagine being in the 120's. but I have a large frame.
  • aliciaaw
    aliciaaw Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that is so awesome! ????
  • snoopycool
    snoopycool Posts: 37
    Options
    Congratulations! You look great!!
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    well done! you look amazing sweetheart!
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! I am also working on my first bikini, but it will be at least until next year before I will be comfortable in one :)
  • PrettyPearl88
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

Do you have a really small frame? I'm the same height and can't imagine being in the 120's. but I have a large frame.
    I might. Though I did calculate my frame size once fairly recently somewhere and that site said I had a medium frame. I honestly never thought I'd be in the 120s either LOL! I never even thought I'd hit my original goal of 130. But I just kept working hard and then it happened! It did take a REALLY long time though haha!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am so inspired right now. Congratulations on your success!
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. What a journey. Congratulations! You look very happy.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You look great!!!!
  • christyhall01
    christyhall01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you do NOT look like a pear! You have gorgeous legs!! and I say a big CONGRATS to you for all that hard work! I am so inspired on this site - I just joined and haven't lost a pound yet, but I feel so much inspiration, hope, and connectedness that we are all somehow in this together! Keep up your great work & know that you've inspired me to work hard, not give up, and continue!

Be blessed!
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    amazing work girl :)
  • minimah7
    minimah7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You go girl!! What a way to dedicate yourself. :smile:
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    You rock!!!:flowerforyou:
  • imafitmom
    imafitmom Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an inspiration. :smile:
  • fortunateflyer
    fortunateflyer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic and I absolutely LOVE your attitude! Rock on!!!
  • Becky_Smith72
    Becky_Smith72 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful and have done great!
  • snowfallgently
    Options
    Congratulations and you look great! You are an inspiration! I appreciate your story because not only have you worked on the outside but the inside shows lots of growth and maturity. Not only does the outside look great but so does the inside!!!!
  • PrettyPearl88
    Options
    Aww thanks so much, everyone! You all are always so encouraging and uplifting! :bigsmile:
  • DUCKIEGYRL
    DUCKIEGYRL Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Amazing
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!