What do you look for???

Options
red0801
red0801 Posts: 283 Member
What are the top 5 things you look for in a fitness club?

If you don't normally use fitness clubs, what would a club have to offer you to get you to give them a shot?

Replies

• larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I don't go to one but if I was going to look it would be
    1- decent price (under $40/month)
    2- have decent amount of evening classes
    3- maintained and decent equipment
    4- be able to do body comp analyses on site
    5- trainers/nutritionist/holistic med people available for a decent price
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate enough to have a top-notch (almost always empty) fitness room at work.

If I had to pay for a membership, I would look for:

1. Clean bathrooms/locker rooms
    2. Multiple squat racks and/or power cages
    3. More free weights than machines
    4. Some cardio equipment available (because sometimes, you just can't get outside to run)
    5. Accessory equipment like medicine balls, kettle bells, jump ropes, boxes, etc.
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Equipment Equipment Equipment.

I know you asked for 5 things, but this is the end all be all. The more diverse and numerous the equipment the more you can keep yourself engaged and find an open machine.

You're not there to look at chicks/guys or pamper yourself. These things are nice, but ancillary. If you can find a gym with all the best of everything, then you wouldn't be here asking.

Make sure if you go to the gym you'll be able to leave feeling upside-down you're so tired. BAM, that is where you want to be.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Top things I look for in gyms:

1. Squat racks
    2. Well stocked weight room
    3. Spinning studio (only cardio I enjoy)
    4. Clean showers/locker rooms
    5. Not too crowded
  • fortunateflyer
    fortunateflyer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in the market for a new gym since I've moved, and I have two criteria: bumper plates and affordable. I want to be able to get my oly lift on for a decent price. It's surprisingly difficult to find ANY gym around here that's not a crossfit box that is set up for Olympic lifting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. Enough squat and power racks so that I don't have to wait to do barbell curls
    2. Clean mirrors so I can see how awesome I look with doing quarter squats with five plates on the bar
    3. Bathroom clean enough that I would actually consider using it instead of cutting my workout short and going home.
    4. Hot chicks. Smoking hot chicks. And in the free weight section. So awkward when I have to follow them to the classes and stare thru the glass.
    5. Dumbbells that go up to 120 so that when I drop them you can be impressed by the noise from across the room
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    1. Enough squat and power racks so that I don't have to wait to do barbell curls
    2. Clean mirrors so I can see how awesome I look with doing quarter squats with five plates on the bar
    3. Bathroom clean enough that I would actually consider using it instead of cutting my workout short and going home.
    4. Hot chicks. Smoking hot chicks. And in the free weight section. So awkward when I have to follow them to the classes and stare thru the glass.
    5. Dumbbells that go up to 120 so that when I drop them you can be impressed by the noise from across the room

So I don't get confused...free chick memberships, private bathrooms & racks that are unsupervised.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

LOL. I can't pick which one is my favorite.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    An open squat rack.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    1. Price
    2. State of the equipment
    3. How crowded is it
  • WendyLee74
    Options
    1. Cleanliness. The gym I went to in Texas had people walking around cleaning. That was really nice. The last gym I went to we had to clean the equipment on our own.

2. It has to be roomy plenty of space. The last place I went too was really stuffy and small it was very uncomfortable and stinky.

3. The gym should have wide variety of equipment. I say this because when I had a trainer half the time we had to wait to use a machine because there was only one of each thing available and there were tons of people there always using them. It was a pain in the rump.

4. Nice bathrooms.

5. A selection of classes available for those who might want to do Zumba, spinning, etc. those are always good for business and people want variety as well.

I can think of a couple more but you said 5. So here is 5
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Childcare, racks, enough equipment, hot guys, and clean bathrooms.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    The recent gym I joined I literally looked just for a squat rack.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Being that I live in the middle of B.F.E. I would say:

1. Location
    2. Hours
    3. Price
    4. Good equiptment
    5. Crowds- I hate them
    6. Decent staff
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    1. Squat rack
    2. A lack of people that like to do stupid things in the squat rack (namely, not squatting).
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    In a perfect and picky world:
    1) rack of some sort
    2) bumper plates
    3) rubberized floors or platforms
    4) flexible or wide open workout hours
    5) C2 rowers
    6) kettlebells
    7) pull up bands
    8) coach or PT

In a realistic world:
    1) rack
    2) barbell
    3) plates
    4) dumbbells
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    1- FLEXIBLE MEMBERSHIP PLANS. I go on and off for various reasons - injury, travel, whatever. If I can get a month-to-month membership at a fair rate (i.e., the SAME rate as a yearly membership, just, for a month), and other requirements are met, I *come back*. In this economy, it might be a way to get people who wouldn't want to commit to a year.

Deals, too: I once checked out a gym that hooked me on a ridiculous flat rate deal for a summer. It had everything else I wanted + let me do month-to-month contracts. I stayed 2 years (left when I moved).

2- Location - closer to work/school = best (ie., not in a residential area - close to transit, etc)

3a- Cleanliness. Not just about paying good cleaners, but setting a standard. Have those spray bottles everywhere, like, next to every machine & bench. Make it really hard for people to mess up.

3b- Natural light & air. I do not want to feel like I'm in a prison, even though I'm maybe doing some of the things people there might do. Re fake lighting: please no fluorescent lights, also do not want to feel like I'm *at* work, or a 1980s mall. (Find good lighting. Ask a designer about this). Fans, good air circulation. Good structure generally (no mould! Not even in the ladies' washroom, please)

4. Injury-friendly gear: Cable machine gives people working around injury lots of options. Concept2s & bikes.

5. Glute & ham stuff (for GHRs, reverse hypers, 45 degree hypers)

6. A separate weight area for women with real-for-real weights. Yeah. Because I want to do hip thrusts & bridges without stressing out about it. (Not important if you want to open a gym that would appeal to already-fit people, athletes, Crossfitters. If you're shooting for 'anyone who might give me money', I guarantee this will help.)

7. Hire people who know what they're doing and are friendly. Don't make them do hard sells. Think long-term: if you offer a good product, and are fair, you will build trust.

ok those are 7 but yeah that's what I'd like.

8. If your target demographic includes newbies, you could have eg 'Intro to the squat & deadlift' workshops, for small groups.

9. I second late hours, up to midnight would be great.

this would be amazing: green stuff - plants, potted trees; rooftop workout area if your climate supports it. I really hate how gyms look. As much of an 'outside' feeling as possible would be fab. Mine now has lots of windows, & sun at most hours; it's also on two floors w a staircase in the middle & so has super high ceilings. I really appreciate all that.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to a gym or fitness club at all. I have a treadmill, elliptical machine, 5 lb. and 8 lb. dumbbells, exercise DVDs, a hot tub, and a farm where I get to deadlift 40 to 70 lb. hay bales and 50 lb. feed sacks, and I don't have to drive the 12 miles into town or pay a fee. So no, a gym has nothing to offer me. I'd feel guilty to pay to use a facility that I'd only find time for once a month or so.