question about net calories

Options
So I'm trying to lose weight and am on 1200 cal./day (advised by my Dr.) Do I need to net 1200 after exercising? Or am I supposed to eat 1200 and whatever I burn is what I burn. I'm confused, but I've stopped losing and want to make sure I'm doing what I'm supposed to son I caan lose 20 more pounds. I've cut down on my carbs and upped my protein too.

Replies

• unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I would be eating 1200 regardless of what you burn unless you are a tiny person that needs very little calories.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    If this is a diet your DR put you on, this is a question for your DR.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Dr.s typically don't receive very much nutritional training. You'd really need to see a dietitian for more in depth information.

However, yes you're suppose to eat 1200 + exercise calories (NET). This will maintain a safe deficit for weight loss.
  • ashb1216
    ashb1216 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree... Eat your 1200 calories plus your exercise calories
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Dr.s typically don't receive very much nutritional training. You'd really need to see a dietitian for more in depth information.

However, yes you're suppose to eat 1200 + exercise calories (NET). This will maintain a safe deficit for weight loss.

This. Talk to a dietician (not a nutritionist) for clarity. Most likely, you should be eating back your exercise calories to net 1200.
  • sgarrett333
    Options
    I did but I don't get a direct answer. I'm petite but overweight so I just want to make sure I'm eating enough so I lose. I don't want to go onto starvation mode and be stuck.
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    I did but I don't get a direct answer. I'm petite but overweight so I just want to make sure I'm eating enough so I lose. I don't want to go onto starvation mode and be stuck.

If you want to be really sure that you aren't under eating use the BMR tool on this website and find out what your BMR is, eat that + exercise calories. Your weight loss will be slightly slower, but you are less likely to plateau as well as keep your lean muscle mass loss to a minimum.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    i would definitely look into your BMR to figure out what you should be eating at (hint, 1200 is rarely if ever enough), but to answer your question, definitely eat back your exercise calories.
  • sgarrett333
    Options
    Where do I find the BMR tool?
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    Where do I find the BMR tool?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • gilberts3
    gilberts3 Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi
    my friend she also from mfp told me she saw a program on Tv it like the biggest loser this guy was suppose to eat 1800 but he only ate 1500 and he exercised he found out he was malnourished so they said as long you eat your calories you suppose to you are good
  • sgarrett333
    Options
    Thx
  • haw160
    haw160 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I believe its a total of 1200 despite your exercise. Good luck with your weight loss.
  • haw160
    haw160 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    BMI and BMR are under the app tab at the top