Are fat and sugar goals too low?

Options
Even when I go under my calories goal, I always go over the fat and sugar. I try to avoid these so am wondering if the numbers are too low. My fat goal is 36 and my sugar goal is 29. I changed the calorie goal manually to 1600, but the other goals didn't seem to change. How do I raise fat, sugar and protein (100 grams) if they are too low for me?

Replies

• jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Another question - I'm eating salmon tonight, and the fat grams came in at 19 - pretty high when I only get 36. My doctor told me to eat lots of salmon, so are the 19 grams "good" fat? How do you handle that if it causes you to go over your fat goal?
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I changed my sugar goal to 90. I am very overweight, so it may not work for you. However, the reason is - and you can determine this for yourself - eating 3 fruit a day is a good choice for me. Each fruit has maybe 30 grams of sugar. so 30 x 3 is 90. Therefore, if i set it at 29, i would not be eating enough fruit in a day. I think you are limiting yourself to one piece of fruit a day, and i dont think that is healthy, but others might have a different opinion.
  • ashb1216
    ashb1216 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I always go over my sugar intake but don't know how to adjust mine either :/
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar -- I don't find it relevant. I track fiber instead.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar either. I track sodium and potassium so that I can make sure my levels are twice as much potassium as sodium. I don't think I ever really go over on my fat. I do on my protein, but I really don't care. I think, if you have a primary care physician, I would ask what values of fat and sugar he/she wants you to have and then make sure you adhere to that regardless of the values MFP sets. You most likely can find that out with a phone call.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You can change your settings - on your home page, click the Goal tab at the top, then Change Goals, then Custom, then Continue, and you can change up the values for the various things.

I don't track my sugar either - I figure the majority of what I get comes from fruits & veggies, not junk food, so I don't worry about it. I'm often over on my fats, but as long as the majority of it is from the good stuff, nuts, fish, avocados, etc, I don't worry about that either. :bigsmile:
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugar either.

I track my sodium, Carbs and Fiber and Fat.
    Sugar is in all fruit and you do need fruits and vegetables per day.

I have taken my sugar out, as I don't eat a lot of sugary items.
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is exact, but I thought on the food pyramid that fat intake should not exceed 30% of calories, so 30% of 1600 calories is 38 grams of fat in a day, so again if that's correct, you are OK with your 36, but I would check to make sure as I really hate giving out wrong info. :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is exact, but I thought on the food pyramid that fat intake should not exceed 30% of calories, so 30% of 1600 calories is 38 grams of fat in a day, so again if that's correct, you are OK with your 36, but I would check to make sure as I really hate giving out wrong info. :)

MFP sets it to 30% by default. Dietary guidelines say 20-35% although some people eat more.
  • Frelling_Tralk
    Frelling_Tralk Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sugar is always what I go over on too