Emotional Eating

Options
So I am a very, very emotional eater and I have been most of my life. I eat when I am stressed, bored, sad, etc. I was just wondering how any of you got over your emotional eating? What steps did you take? Or if there are any great books out there on the subject?

- Best

Replies

• degausser234
    degausser234 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • neongoldie
    neongoldie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Do something to take your mind off of the urge to eat. I tend to snack when I'm bored. Instead of annihilating a huge bowl of ice cream, I'll go for a walk or play some video games.
  • degausser234
    degausser234 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That seems like a great idea. It's difficult for me sometimes to differentiate the feeling of hunger and the feeling of wanting to fill a void.
  • kathrynmcgrady
    Options
    I do the same thing! Emotional eating is my biggest downfall. Any advice would be appreciated!
  • toyota
    toyota Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work for the school so I am out of work all summer babysitting a couple of my grandkids. I get bored sometimes & eat emotionally sometimes. I too need to stop it. I downloaded a new app to my phone called "my diet coach pro" I really think it is going to help me, I hope.
  • kablooeee2u
    Options
    i have recently heard that if you brush your teeth that will take away a desire to eat. i plan on trying that the next time i want to eat something when i shouldn't be eating.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I'm a boredom eater. There are two things I have done to combat this. One is to allot a certain amount of calories during the day for snacking on pre-arranged foods. Oneof my favorites are the chili lime pistachios from whole foods: between the spices on the shells and having to de-shell each nut, it can take me the better part of an hour to go through a serving size. The other is exercise. I'm doing Insanity, which gives me an extra 600 or 700 calories a day, which gives me a lot more room to eat a little here and there all day and still be just under my goal.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It helps to know that because for me, I can share what made my approach successful.

I say that it begins in our minds. When we dwell on the good feelings that food gives us, then we have to stop it before it gets that way, its kinda like the same strength you use when a drunk guy is asking you for a date and you dont want this guy to date you. Thats how you have to treat the food cravings. When you start to react emotionally from seeing food or smelling it or whatever sense it touches, you stop, get ahold of yourself, distract yourself, and dont allow yourself to react emotionally to it.

I guess you also have to find something else to reward you, like it could be a habit that you've done 5 years. Like when you come home, flip off your shoes, turn on the tv and get the pastry that is calling your name, and you feel like hey i worked hard & had a bad day, i deserve that fudge, well then you have to have something else on hand that will reward you. It could be some real yummy juicy fruit. Thats what you grab out the fridge.

OK for me this helped - i decided i was going to keep my one treat - my muffin in the morning but i was going to give up Classic Coke. So that was something i could live with. once two weeks passed, i was able to wean myself off and try getting a bagel in the morning. that muffin was something i could now pass up.

what helps me now is going to different levels of healthy eating. i first had no motivation and 100% cravings. then i said ok im going to not eat a few things, like dessert (coffee cake every night). now when i got thru that, i went to the next level - what can i concentrate on that would help me eat better? and so i worked on that.

now im at another level and am tweaking it even more. so i guess for me, i recommend, tweak it at a different level for you, dont try everything, have a substitute, and distraction, and dont react emotionally to food.

When you begin changing your food choices, then the healthy food starts looking yummy and that replaces the urge to fill it with the fudge and other things not healthy.
  • TennesseeGirl09
    Options
    I'm a boredom eater. There are two things I have done to combat this. One is to allot a certain amount of calories during the day for snacking on pre-arranged foods. Oneof my favorites are the chili lime pistachios from whole foods: between the spices on the shells and having to de-shell each nut, it can take me the better part of an hour to go through a serving size. The other is exercise. I'm doing Insanity, which gives me an extra 600 or 700 calories a day, which gives me a lot more room to eat a little here and there all day and still be just under my goal.

I like the approach of setting aside calories for pre-arranged snacks. I am definitely a boredom/stress/any-excuse-will-do emotional eater. That has always been an issue with me since I started trying to lose weight.This way it's already built-in so I don't have to "stress" over my stress eating. Great idea!
  • keekeedoro
    Options
    nothing wrong with emotionally eating at all!!!

But choose: broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, kale, celery, bok choy, califlower.....
  • TennesseeGirl09
    Options
    nothing wrong with emotionally eating at all!!!

But choose: broccoli, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, kale, celery, bok choy, califlower.....

Love this!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Geneen Roth has written a few books on how to battle emotional eating such as one called When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair. I bought one years ago, haven't read it but should.
  • skesterline
    Options
    I have emotionally eaten a lot too. Usually, I try to stop myself before going to the cabinet or fridge and ask myself if I'm really hungry or if I'm just bored/upset/angry/etc.
    Usually I can deter myself just by making myself stop and answer the question. (For the first few week of trying that, I actually put post-it notes on the cabinet and fridge to help remind myself)
    Also, started crocheting again. When my hands are busy, I don't boredom eat as much.

Stress I have tried to switch out to exercise. Instead of reaching for the chocolate, I go for a walk or use a punching bag or....whatever.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    With you on that one
  • TRMite
    TRMite Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    tips from the Jillian Michaels book Slim For Life: 1. Ask yourself if you could eat a peice of meat. if that doesnt sound good you arent hungry, just feeling snacky. 2. If you have something you dont want to keep eating and temptation is getting you destroy it. literally make it inedible if that's what it takes. 3. brush your teeth. 4. give youself one treat a day but work it in to your calorie total. it's not cheating. it's just being realistic about life!

4. My advice: if you are eating enough calories TDEE etc. it is a lot easier to make healthy choices because you arent in deprivation mode.

Jillian Michaels podcast is a great source for inspiration too.
  • marinetteloser
    Options
    +1 for being a "boredom eater" and a "because it's fun" eater. About a year ago I started trying to cook healthier things instead of bringing a lasagna and calzones to work with me almost every day (I come from a family full of of 400-ish pound Italians) and then cooking something else when I get home I've been bringing breakfast bars and fruits and carrots and stuff.

I *enjoy* eating, often, it's not something that I intent to change (I'm one of those "if I haven't eaten it yet, I want to eat it" types of guys who would belong on one of those "Bizarre Foods" type shows eating a horse / dolphin / koala / hippopotamus or something else not typically considered a food) but I've gotten a lot better at eating things that are healthy, or at least less un-healthy to get well under the 5000-6000 calories I was doing before.

Otherwise, some great tips here, I'm definitely going to take a look into a couple of the books posted in the thread.
  • jensedun
    jensedun Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This book is helping me with my emotional eating issues. I think it is a cheesy title, but the information is great. it is "Shrink Yourself: Break Free from Emotional Eating Forever" by R. Gould.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    The Geneen Roth books have helped me more than any thing else. Also, look up OA. Consider joining. Free and lots of support.

D