Lifting Heavy, Need Some Advice.

Options
Hi Everyone.

I'm a 21 year old female. I'm currently 5'7 and 177 lbs. I've been doing some cardio and calories deficits for about a month or so, but recently I've been reading a lot about heavy lifting and it's really interesting me but I don't know where to start. I know everyone is going to suggest the "New Rules of Heavy Lifting for Women" but I seriously have NO money to go out and buy this book (I just moved to a new country and am going to school so my budget is SUPER tight especially with all my new healthy food purchases). I'm not very familiar with weight lifting at all or any type of weight lifting routines or even how to weight lift properly! I would just like someone to take the time, sit down, and explain it all out for me and simple, dumb-dumb terms so I can understand it! I'm really REALLY interested in this. I've always wanted to be strong and fit but never knew how and now I'm pulling up my panties and really trying to understand. I do have a gym membership and will try anything at the gym, however going over to the bench presses with all the big manly strong men does intimidate me a lot.

Thanks! Any advice would be great. :]

Replies

• fortunateflyer
    fortunateflyer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can download the Stronglifts 5x5 program for free. Many people love it as a way to get into powerlifting. I've never read it so I don't know how much detail he goes into about form, but there's a ton of stuff on YouTube showing how to do the various exercises. Look for videos by reputable lifting coaches like Mark Rippetoe.

Good luck!!
  • Loasaur
    Loasaur Posts: 125
    Options
    Thanks! I will do some research for the 5x5 right now and get a better idea of what it is.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is great, I second that suggestion! You can also download Starting Strength for free online. That's pretty much the bible of weight lifting. It gets pretty in depth, but it's not hard to read and will explain basically anything you could want to know.

You might also want to look into a book called Convict Conditioning, it's available as an online download as well. It probably sounds scary, but it teaches you how to workout without a gym or weights and get the same results with just bodyweight exercises at home or at a local park, etc. That would probably be the most budget friendly option since all you need is a wall and a bench or a chair to do the workouts.

Good luck!!
  • Loasaur
    Options
    Convict Conditioning sounds perfect for me. I do have a gym membership but no car, so I rely on OTHER people who HAPPEN to be going to the gym to get me there and most of the time, they don't go so I've been stuck at home and just going stir-crazy because I want to be outside doing SOMETHING! Anything! So this Convict Conditioning seems like it would be helpful for when I'm stuck at home!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitnss.com and jefit.com are good resources for beginner lifters. The former has bodyweight circuits and stretching routines, as well as articles and videos that have a lot of good information for new lifters. The latter has a large library of exercises and routines broken down by muscle group and experience level, so it's easy to find something that works what you want and is at your difficulty level.
  • Loasaur
    Options
    I could not find anything on Convict Conditioning that was free, only books I needed to buy. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place? Does anyone have a link to it? Thanks!
  • jewel22887
    jewel22887 Posts: 72
    Options
    check a local library they carry a lot of work out books and some videos too in most in the USA not sure what country you are in with the move
  • changergirl
    Options
    There are ways to get NROLFW without paying...the internet is your friend!!!

I'm about a month in and really love the program. I was a complete beginner to heavy lifting and it's really informative. Not only with different exercises but also with nutrition.
  • Loasaur
    Options
    I'm really interested in things I could do at home to kind of warm up before I go and try to get past the intimidation of the GIANT men at the work-out equipment. :o
  • dynamitegalxo
    Options
    PM me your email address and I can send you CC and some other stuff!
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Loasaur
    Options
    My email address is "Loasaur@live.com"

I really appreciate everyone's feedback! Thank you!
  • Loasaur
    Options
    I downloaded the 5x5 program and put in all my information, but starting at squats of 45 pounds (for someone who can barely lift a 10 lb sack of potatoes) is REALLY concerning to me. I don't think I would be able to do it and I know that this program is specifically designed for men, so is there a better number I can start at that I could actually do or should I just tough it out and try doing 45lbs first? I just don't want to injure myself!
  • Jackieb301
    Jackieb301 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Loasaur
    Options
    Thanks for the bumps :] I'm super excited to try this out but I would like to do some stuff at home first before going to the gym just to boost my confidence a little and to make sure I know what I'm doing and I don't look silly.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great sources! I'm going to check these out :flowerforyou:

Slainte :drinker:
  • dynamitegalxo
    Options
    I downloaded the 5x5 program and put in all my information, but starting at squats of 45 pounds (for someone who can barely lift a 10 lb sack of potatoes) is REALLY concerning to me. I don't think I would be able to do it and I know that this program is specifically designed for men, so is there a better number I can start at that I could actually do or should I just tough it out and try doing 45lbs first? I just don't want to injure myself!
    Trust me, 45 pounds is totally ok when it's just the bar balanced on your back :) It's a very different kind of lifting sensation than picking up something off the floor with one hand. If the 45 is a bit much when you do try it, start off with 5 sets of 3 instead of 5 sets of 5 and work until you're comfortable. then try 5x4 and 5x5 and then you'll be set to add weight!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options

You already squat your entire body weight every time you stand up from a chair. You do a partial squat of your entire body weight on one leg every time you take a step up a flight of stairs. If you're very tiny, 45 pounds might be tough for you to lift, but almost everyone will have a lot more trouble with their technique than they'll have with a 45-pound bar. Your legs are pretty strong.
  • Loasaur
    Options
    I'm definitely not tiny, height or width (unfortunately) wise. I have been doing 100 squats every other day without any weight just as part of my normal routine for getting some type of exercise into the days when I can't make it too the gym. I will try doing 45lbs and see how that works. I really appreciate all the feedback and help from everyone!
  • Evasavealot1
    Evasavealot1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump