calorie counting

Options
chelle5555
chelle5555 Posts: 18 Member
Has anyone actually loss weight from just sticking to calorie counting? Many people that I have spoke to, say that its impossible to lose weight that way. you have to watch your fat and sugars too.

Replies

• jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    YES! I've lost 28.6 pounds counting calories (and working out). I try to eat fruit and vegetables but I actually pay very little attention to my macro nutrients. I'm positive I could have lost a lot more if I was more careful about carbs and sugar but for me, at this point in my journey, a calorie is a calorie. I say, if all you can do right now is count calories then go for it! It absolutey 100% works and what's BEST about counting calories is that I still eat what I want and so when I reach my goal weight it isn't going to come rushing back with a vengence because I could maintain eating this way my whole life. :drinker:
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Has anyone actually loss weight from just sticking to calorie counting? Many people that I have spoke to, say that its impossible to lose weight that way. you have to watch your fat and sugars too.

I have lost 23 pounds since February by exercising and counting my calories (weighing my food) and logging - maybe not everything - but at least 98%. It is hard for me, not really, because this is the only thing that I feel will work for me. Diets make me extremely hungry and always thinking about food. Counting my calories allows me to be selective in what I eat and splurge when I feel the need. I don't really pay that much attention to fat and sugar (all my sugar comes from fruit), my main concern is sodium which I pay particular attention to.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 20 pounds simply from calorie counting and walking around my block one time a night (8 minutes)
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Yes, I works for me - I'm losing 2#/week consistently. I log everything I eat, try to do some form of exercise at least 30 mins/day (usually swimming walking or hiking), and I don't eat back all of my exercise calories - only about half. I average 1300-1500 cals/day net. I could not stay under my sugar goals if I ate more than one piece of fruit a day, so I don't track it. I run a report once a month just to check & it's usually over by a little, but I know it's because of fruit. I eat a pretty low fat diet as a rule so I'm usually under my goal & I don't track that anymore either. Just start tracking & not changing anything at first & see how you're doing with it.
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    IMO The important thing is just to be more self aware. If calorie counting does that, great!
  • keriberi9
    keriberi9 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes! I log and measure and only look at calories. It works :)
  • lcrayburn1
    lcrayburn1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yup. I've lost all my pounds on calorie deficit alone.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Yes, all that is necessary for WEIGHT LOSS is a calorie deficit. Weight loss is very easy, but most people don't really want weight loss, they want fat loss while preserving muscle. In order to achieve fat loss without losing significant muscle, you must incorporate weight lifting, and eat a minimum of .82g of protein per lb of body weight for optimal muscle protein synthesis.
  • JessLoseIt221
    JessLoseIt221 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 lbs in the past by calorie counting alone. I never worked out, drank diet sodas, and wasn't eating super healthy. Lost it in 3 months by just counting calories. I'm counting calories again but doing it a bit healthier this time. :)
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Sooooo.....

If I'm correct in reading everyones responses....

I could eat 1,500 calories worth of ding dongs, chips, and cookies and still lose weight... as LONG as I'm still under 1,500 calories?

Hmmmm..........
  • rhondaec
    rhondaec Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was doing Weight watchers and lost some weight but got tired of it and switched to MFP and I love it. I have lost 23 lbs in all and 16 of it has been with MFP. I eat what I want just stay within my calories and when you workout you gain calories that you can eat back. I try not to eat all of my workout calories because I like to say a little under my net calories some. If I didn't eat some of what I wanted then I could never stick with it but yes counting calories does work.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight calorie counting on another site, which gives out nutritional 'grades'. I didn't count macros but tried to stay in the A-/A range.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sooooo.....

If I'm correct in reading everyones responses....

I could eat 1,500 calories worth of ding dongs, chips, and cookies and still lose weight... as LONG as I'm still under 1,500 calories?

Hmmmm..........

Yep.

Have you read about the Twinkie Diet
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/458306-twinkie-diet/

I don't recommend doing anything like this though. It probably isn't very good for your health.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!