Can I lose weight and gain muscle at the same time?

Options
Hi, I'm 5'2" and about 132 lbs and I am interested in a bit of weight loss. I started this program because I thought accountability would help me to do this and become fit and healthy, and it really is making it so that I make healthier choices.

However, since there are so many wonderful resources related to working out and building muscle I am now thinking of another goal of mine which is to pursue physical fitness and build some muscle. I would love to do some beginning strength training, as well as a bit of cardio.

So the question is, is it better to lose the weight first and then gain muscle? Can the two be done at once? I heard that some people even eat more calories than they need so that they can gain muscle first, and then they lose the weight. I am not sure what is best.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'2" and about 132 lbs and I am interested in a bit of weight loss. I started this program because I thought accountability would help me to do this and become fit and healthy, and it really is making it so that I make healthier choices.

However, since there are so many wonderful resources related to working out and building muscle I am now thinking of another goal of mine which is to pursue physical fitness and build some muscle. I would love to do some beginning strength training, as well as a bit of cardio.

So the question is, is it better to lose the weight first and then gain muscle? Can the two be done at once? I heard that some people even eat more calories than they need so that they can gain muscle first, and then they lose the weight. I am not sure what is best.

Thanks for any advice!
    It's gonna be a matter of choice on what you want to do first.
    I will tell you that trying to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time is improbable. One requires calorie deficit, while the other requires calorie surplus.
    There are a few exceptional people that can add some muscle in the beginning, but even then the gain is minimal.
    So choose what you want to do first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SCC86
    SCC86 Posts: 5
    Options
    As was already mentioned, to lose weight, you need to have a caloric deficit. To gain muscle, you need a surplus. If you begin working out, you will probably build some muscle at first, but without enough calories, you wouldn't build a lot.
    There is a reason you hear of some people adding calories first before trying to lose weight. Adding calories helps build muscle, and muscle burns calories.More muscle mass usually means you will burn calories quicker, which can help with losing weight later.
    The order you do it in is a personal choice.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ninerbuff. @ 5'2" and 132, you are near the top of your ideal weight range. Unless you are rather large boned and already have a good muscle base, you will most likely want to drop a few pounds first (while lifting) THEN when you approach about the mid range, begin adding a bit of muscle by eating a moderate surplus (maybe 1/2 lb to 1 lb per week until you are about where you are now, then cut again... I recommend doing the cut first in your case because you do not want to compromise your health with an unhealthy fat gain (some fat gain is inevitable with a calorie surplus, but by keeping your protein high, your resistance training strong, and your surplus low, you can minimize the fat gain)... However, you really would probably be better off approaching the midpoint of your IBW range first THEN putting on the muscle... Best wishes on a successful endeavor.
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful explanations, guys!

kdeaux, I do not have a large frame. I also, up until recently, basically had negligible muscle mass due to inactive lifestyle. I have a little bit now but it's nothing to sneeze at. I really do have too much body fat right now. So I think I will try for some weight loss, then ramp up the calories and increase my physical activity.
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Actually, this is very good. Muscle burns calories both passively and during training. There is no reason why you shouldn`t do both, but i would advice against putting the two sessions too close together for best results.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    When losing weight, you lift weights to preserve muscle mass and build strength (which is not the same as building muscle)

Later on, you can increase your calories and use that new strength to help you build muscles.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of everyone saying you can't gain muscle in a deficit. I'm around 25lbs lighter than I was last year, but my chest is 1.75" bigger, arms are 1.75" bigger, forearms are .5" bigger, and thighs are 2.5" bigger. You CAN gain muscle on a deficit if you keep your deficit small and stay on target with your macros. I was also blessed with the genetics from two strongfat parents, but I still had to put in the work. Granted, it's much easier to put on muscle in a surplus and you'll gain more that way, but it's definitely possible to add some muscle in a deficit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    According to my gym's nurse, I've gained 2 lbs of muscles (which is pretty negligible with a lean mass of 118) and lost 20 lbs in the last 3.5 months. I was obese to start with, though. But either way, it's best to do both at once, so you don't lose the muscles you already have (even if it's not much).
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of everyone saying you can't gain muscle in a deficit. I'm around 25lbs lighter than I was last year, but my chest is 1.75" bigger, arms are 1.75" bigger, forearms are .5" bigger, and thighs are 2.5" bigger. You CAN gain muscle on a deficit if you keep your deficit small and stay on target with your macros. I was also blessed with the genetics from two strongfat parents, but I still had to put in the work. Granted, it's much easier to put on muscle in a surplus and you'll gain more that way, but it's definitely possible to add some muscle in a deficit.

I noticed you are able to do that, but I also noticed that I am not. So I think you both put in lots of work and won the genetic lottery.

I work my *kitten* off, but I have to be very strategic or I lose muscle in a hurry when I cut. Forget about building it. But then when I eat at a surplus, I start to grow. But I am so far much better at building fat than building muscle. My newbie gains (I started thanksgiving 2012 with 60lbs of fat to lose) didn't even make it through my first cut and I had to bulk to get them back. Now I'm cutting slower.

So I'm at one end of the spectrum, you're at the other end, and the vast majority of people are somewhere in the middle. For you, small deficit means recomposition, but for me, it means not losing so much muscle.

The ones who can build muscle on a deficit will figure that one out without help, so the best answer to this kind of question is still to encourage an approach based on preserving muscle in a cut and building muscle in a bulk.
  • ZenBJR
    ZenBJR Posts: 13
    Options
    As a general rule, you can't.

It's more complicated than that, however.

On my 100 pound (and counting) calorie deficit, my bench press has gone from 135 to 195 (12 reps, 2 sets). I've gotten stronger, and my muscles really POP out now.

Comparing a flexing photo of me at 400 pounds and now at 288, it's obvious my arms haven't shrunk at all. However, this is not muscle gain. This is CNS (Central Nervous System) gain. My mind is more connected to my muscles, since I am actually using them now.

So I am able to flex things that I used to not be able to, at the extent I can now. I can "bounce" my pecs now, but I couldn't do that before. That's because my CNS is actually connected and I can control it now, when I couldn't before.

On your weight loss, if you do weightlifting, you probably willl feel stronger. You probably will see your muscles more and more, and it might even seem to be getting bigger. It's not really muscle gain, unless you won the genetic lottery. If your deficit is low enough, maybe you'll even gain some muscle, but at the cost of losing weight at a MUCH slower rate.

Not necessarily a bad thing. If you're patient, probably a good thing. I'm not patient! I want to be under 200 pounds, now!

Good luck.