What's the Point? (kinda long)

Options
rachso
rachso Posts: 174 Member
I've dieted on and off for 4-5 years now. I do well for a month or so then have enough and go back to my old ways.Partly because I have PCOS which causes weight issues. In late May when I saw a pic of myself and saw just how bad it was I REALLY knew that it was time for a change. So June 1st I went back on the diet/weight loss regimn. I started tracking consistently with MFP and started exercising....a lil more each day as I built up stamina. All was going well cause I lost 7 lbs even while on vacation for 10 days!
But over the last week to week and a half I've reached a standstill. I gained and lost the same 2 lbs back but cnt go past that. I am up to approx 10 glasses of water a day and exercise DAILY..even if some days I can only fit in a 20-30 min workout. My issue is calories. MFP has me on a 1260 calorie allotment. Despite eating 3 meals and at least 2 snacks a day I am always under my goal. Tonight I was 256 calories under. It keeps flagging me saying I am eating to few calories and could be going into starvation mode..but I cnt bring myself to eat when not hungry. Today I thought for sure I had met my calorie intake when I had two fried chicken strips and a cream puff at lunch at work. Even with that it was not enough. Someone told me I wasn't losing cause I'm not eating enough. Last I checked eating when I wasn't hungry is what got me in this spot. I thought eating 1200 calories would be easy..but I was wrong! I do NOT want to make myself sick and eat when not hungry to meet calories, esp when I know this is what got me into weighing so much. When I exercise I only need to eat even more because then I have THOSE calories to eat back. \
Now it makes me ask "whats the point"? If dieting is going to be having me eat fried foods and desserts and/or eating when not hungry just to fulfill my daily calories then why diet? Why go thru all this when I have to use my old habits to eat whats needed to lose? If thats the case I should lose by eating what i used to..but maybe adding more exercise. Wait, if that worked I wouldnt be fat. I know my PCOS makes it hard..but right now its the caloric intake making it hard....who knew 1200 calories was so hard to eat in a day? Maybe I should just accept my 215 lbs and give up..cause right now I really dnt see a point

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Don't fill up on high volume low calorie foods. Eat fat. Eat chocolate. Eat whatever it is you want as long as it fits into your calorie goal and won't cause you to binge. Have peanut butter or avocado. Eat cheese. Don't use skim/non-fat/low-fat/diet foods. A handful of nuts will give you around a couple hundred calories.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    j1KgNv7.gif

Honestly you need to get your mind right. No more saying the word diet or regimn. You have to live a healthy lifestyle. Eat the way you plan on eatting the rest of your life. You do not need to give up anything that you love, just learn to have smaller portions and fill up on healthy foods. You can do it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I started out at 217 pounds when I was 25 years old. I'm not sure how tall you are, but I'm 5'9" and I discovered that I had to eat more than 1200 calories a day to keep losing weight.

The most common problems we run into during weight loss are:
    1. Eating more than you think (not weighing and measuring everything).
    2. Not eating enough.
    3. Not making the most of our workouts.

You say you can't reach your calorie goal, but 2 Tbsp of peanut butter is about 200 calories and really not that filling. By under eating you are starting into the cycle of yo-yo dieting. Make sure you are logging accurately and check with your doctor about foods you may want to eliminate since you have PCOS. There is also groups on here for PCOS support.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi - i am no expert, just i will point out a few things I see you doing. I peeked at your food diary, and you almost made the calories per day but you eat a lot of junk food already. I dont see many vegetables and fruits which would be better choices, imo.

I would trade a lot of your junk food and fast food items you are eating for healthy food, #1.

#2. If you are going to eat meat, that usually has more calories, so i would eat it cooked like sauteed with some olive oil, but not to pick Chicken mcnuggets as your meat for example. the mcnuggets would be a bad choice.

check the food database here for some other options.

i would not fill up on crap food just to meet your calorie quota. You have to find better foods and eat more of them. Thats most important.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Because PCOS leads to you being Type 2 Diabetic, in which case you can go blind or have your limbs chopped off. You should also be on low carbs do to your condition.
  • kimberlythomeson
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I can't reach my "recommended" calories either. I've almost given up on logging my food because I know that i'm not reaching that level. I am sticking with the program though. It was suggested to me to eat higher calorie healthy food, so i will pass that along to you. I haven't logged anything in my diary, but my suggestion as well is to look at other people food diaries to get ideas of what they are eating.

Good luck, and i'm right there with you. I understand the frustration.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I just looked at today's entries but if today was 'normal,' I have some suggestions:

1) Eat something between your meals. If you had eaten two 150 calorie snacks today, you'd have been at your goal. Nuts are a great option because they pack a lot of calories into a small amount of nuts. The fats in nuts are very good for you.
    2) Choose full fat dairy over skim
    3) Smoothies are a great way to get some dairy and fruit in, as well as bump up your calories. For an added bonus, add some protein powder.

Try not to think of this as a diet. You mentioned that maybe you should go back to what you were doing before and just add exercise. That isn't far from the truth of what you should be doing. I started at 217 a year ago and I eat 1700-1800 calories a day, work out 5 days a week and stay active on the weekends and I've lost 48 pounds. I average about a pound a week. It's slow but because I eat 'normal' food every day I know I can live like this the rest of my life and not gain the weight back ever again. This is a lifestyle, not a diet.

Feel free to add me if you want some support. I'm no expert but I know what's worked for me and I love helping others meet their goals.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Your body just has to shift to eating the right things. With PCOS we tend to crave carbs and then carbs make us feel awful. I've had two days of awful eating and am sitting here bloated with a tummy ache.... "They" also say we should limit dairy, but I haven't seen a difference either direction. But with carbs...man...everything changes. Carbs make us hungrier, make us eat more of the wrong things and in turn, increase our symptoms.... including bloating, depression and pain! It's super easy to eat 1200 calories by eating protein and healthy fats. Natural Peanut Butter on an apple, hummus with sliced veggies, Salads with egg white and avocado, lean meats, tons of veggies and then the right kind of carbs.

Are you insulin resistant as well? Taking Metformin or any other prescriptions to help?
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hello, friend.

I feel your pain.

First of all, re: PCOS - losing weight could very well solve that entire problem. I've known quite a few people who made the choice to let go of letting it hold them back and lost weight making the same dietary changes as everyone else and were PCOS-symptom free after losing only 10-15% of their weight. You've lost 7lbs without extreme measures, so you seem good to go.

Secondly, you're running a marathon, not a race. You've made awesome progress and a week of no weight loss isn't necessarily a crisis. Weight fluctuates by day and time of day, which is means you're probably weighing yourself too often - you don't need to see every fluctuation because it obviously discourages you.

Thirdly, it's great that you're trying to change your relationship with food. Overeating is why a lot of people ended up here. However the opposite isn't always the best. Lots of things come into play with hunger (hormones, emotions, etc) and it's not always the best signal. For instance, anyone who's had a long lasting stomach bug or the flu knows the feeling of having their "stomach shrink." Suddenly we don't want to eat and we can't eat much because that's what our body became accustomed to - but it isn't necessarily what we need.

I'm not recommending binging, but there are other ways to pack in calories, the easiest way being fat. Fat is NOT the devil! You need it and it's a great source of energy (which is why we're programmed to love it so much." Throw some extra olive oil on your roasted veggies or extra salad dressing on your salad. Make some yummy herbed butter to put on your baked fish. Drink a protein shake. Have a piece of chocolate.

Food is not your enemy!
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think most people with PCOS would totally relate with the initial success and then hitting a brick wall. It stinks.

I had hormonal issues as well, and I'm going to have to agree with whoever told you to eat more. I was in the same boat as you and came to a standstill after the first 5 or so pounds. One of my friends suggested raising my calories and eating back exercise calories. She said she couldn't explain it, but it worked for her. So I tried it and it worked for me, too!

Like the other posters have said, try changing up some of your low calorie foods for more good fats to get where you need to be calorie wise.

Also, like another poster said, DO make the most of your workouts. They don't have to be an hour long, but you need to make sure that you're working hard enough to keep your heartrate up and break a sweat (if you're not one of those people that don't sweat!). I'm not sure what it is about sweating, but it does seem to help balance the hormones. I try to make mine about 30-35 minutes long and work to keep my heart rate up to 150-160 beats per minute most of that time.

Since you're a cyster, you might also consider reducing your number of carbs and replacing them with fats and proteins. I'm not suggesting trying to eliminate them altogether... It's usually not very sustainable for most people and will just cause you to regain your weight when you're tired of trying to plan your whole day around your diet, but reducing them helps your body help itself to balance hormones.

This is not an impossible task, but you do have a little extra hump to get over that some people don't. But, you will feel SOOO much better once you're on the other side! :)
  • rlkilgo
    rlkilgo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hang in there Sister. I keep green giant and birds eye frozen vegetables for my extra calories and I use them as my snacks. Some have more sodium than others but I do love the green giant broccoli with cheese. I do eat the whole bag. Not much calories and very little fat but I always feel full. I guess that sounds weird but I love them and it works for me. I also keep apples and bananas for snacks. My weird shaped colon calls for me to eat 10 prunes a day but guess what?! I just read several articles that say 10 prunes a day helps you have better bone density. Yeah!!!! I eat chicken, tuna and some red meat. I keep peanut butter crackers for a quick pick up if I get shaky. I am doing 1200 calories and I do get stuck. I usually eat a little more calories and I start losing again. It has taken me 6 months to lose my 29 pounds gone but nice and slow keeps the weight off. I walk 1 or 2 miles and I ride my bike for an hour. I try to exercise (walk or bike) at least 5 days a week. I am 50 years old with bone on bone left knee arthritis (meniscus tear surgery a few years ago). We all have our crosses to bear but when it comes down to it, I know that I am the only person to take care of myself. My family loves me but I am in control of me. You can do this. It is your new life and new way of eating. No diet, just your new way of eating. God bless you on your journey.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and have lost in excess of 180 pounds. You need to look at this as overall health. To play devils advocate even if you stayed this weight, it is much better then gaining which will just make the PCOS worse. Also its really important with PCOS to get good nutrients in you....by eating good this will help with that too. You have stalled for a week its really not uncommon. I would recommend you read this link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Feel free to add me :)
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    omg then how did you get big? this makes no sense at all. 1200 calories is nothing 2 eggs some turkey bacon and 2 toast am 500 calories turkey sammy with veggies and a bag of baked lays 450 calories a chicken breast, a baked sweet potato and some roasted broccili with olive oil for dinner 500 calories there is 1500 right there. Maybe you are lookung for a reason to quit?
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I really dislike commenting on threads like these... but I will this time because there IS a point...and that point is why you are here asking. Because you WANT to change your life. Right? :flowerforyou:

I took a look at your food journal and well... the one thing that is consistent is SUGAR. You are over in sugar every day. You are over in Sodium often also. Candy bars, cookies, chips.... Well... I don't see nothing wrong with having those things in MODERATION, but you are having some of those things daily. Hamburger helper is a KILLER sodium wise.

It really IS a lifestyle change...it isn't a diet. So I can understand you not wanting to give up those chips, hamburger helper, cookies, candy... but you NEED to replace those with VEGGIES and some fruits. You really do need to give those sweets up and eat those maybe once a week or twice a week. Sugar isn't good for you, and btw you REALLY need to watch your starchy carbs. Insulin spike for sure and the sweets btw aren't helping either.

The reason why I dislike these threads is because it seems like some are tearing you apart... but really I don't want to come across like that, I don't want you to read this and get upset.... because it is honestly something you asked, and you are getting feedback to help you. I've been in the medical field for 24 years, and where as I'm not a doctor, I can tell you one thing for sure... you can not keep eating all the sugar you are eating and not expect your condition to worsen. You really do have to cut back on the sweets.

I do wish you the very best. And remember... MIND OVER MATTER!!!! Your MIND MATTERS! :flowerforyou:
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    absolutly NEVER fails....every time I think I'm gonna jump start my weight loss by lowering my cal intake I end up gaining. Increasing my cals again ALWAYS works. It is my opinion that indeed you do HAVE to eat. Just not cheesburgers and ice cream (although if it fits your macros then go for it) So long as you are consuming adequate calories from healthy fats, protein and some complex carbs you will lose. Thats been my personal experience.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I really dislike commenting on threads like these... but I will this time because there IS a point...and that point is why you are here asking. Because you WANT to change your life. Right? :flowerforyou:

I took a look at your food journal and well... the one thing that is consistent is SUGAR. You are over in sugar every day. You are over in Sodium often also. Candy bars, cookies, chips.... Well... I don't see nothing wrong with having those things in MODERATION, but you are having some of those things daily. Hamburger helper is a KILLER sodium wise.

It really IS a lifestyle change...it isn't a diet. So I can understand you not wanting to give up those chips, hamburger helper, cookies, candy... but you NEED to replace those with VEGGIES and some fruits. You really do need to give those sweets up and eat those maybe once a week or twice a week. Sugar isn't good for you, and btw you REALLY need to watch your starchy carbs. Insulin spike for sure and the sweets btw aren't helping either.

The reason why I dislike these threads is because it seems like some are tearing you apart... but really I don't want to come across like that, I don't want you to read this and get upset.... because it is honestly something you asked, and you are getting feedback to help you. I've been in the medical field for 24 years, and where as I'm not a doctor, I can tell you one thing for sure... you can not keep eating all the sugar you are eating and not expect your condition to worsen. You really do have to cut back on the sweets.

I do wish you the very best. And remember... MIND OVER MATTER!!!! Your MIND MATTERS! :flowerforyou:

I needed this tonight! Horrible, carb and sugar filled last two days. I needed the black and white of it all. Sometimes it's good to be reminded about things we already know from someone who is trying to be helpful.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    j1KgNv7.gif

Honestly you need to get your mind right. No more saying the word diet or regimn. You have to live a healthy lifestyle. Eat the way you plan on eatting the rest of your life. You do not need to give up anything that you love, just learn to have smaller portions and fill up on healthy foods. You can do it.

Yes this...and I LOVE your video!
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

I needed this tonight! Horrible, carb and sugar filled last two days. I needed the black and white of it all. Sometimes it's good to be reminded about things we already know from someone who is trying to be helpful.

I'm so glad no offense was taken. You can never really understand through typing what the person is trying to get through... basically typing has no emotions, and I hate that what we type could really come out all wrong. lol. Calories do matter yes, but honestly if you're eating sugar filled things that isn't helping matters, and it makes it worse if you are pre-diabetic. Spikes in Blood Sugar isn't what you want. Consistent blood sugars you do. Not all carbs are bad... just cut back a little. I used to eat 4 slices of bread every day. I wasn't losing...so I cut back to 1 slice in the morning and very rarely do I eat another slice...but that was my addiction, so I didn't want to cut it out completely, just eat it in moderation. :) Everything in moderation really helps.