Bananas good or bad for dieting? Milk which is best?

Options
Hi! I have two questions and would appreciate your input. My first question is are bananas good or bad for dieting? I see that they are high in sugar but are two bananas a week going to set me back from losing weight? And my second question is about milk. Fat-free, 2% or Whole? Which is best? I like all milk but I'd like to know what would be best for my diet? Should I drink a glass a day or only add it to my coffee in the mornings? Thank you.

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I love bananas. I eat one most days and have lost 43 lbs. They ARE high in sugars, so you just need to balance that out with the rest of your diet. They are packed with good stuff like potassium. I say eat your bananas and enjoy.

As for milk, I don't drink it, but I do put almond milk in my smoothies. You will get a variety of responses on this too. Lots of people drink milk daily and still lose, just like with bananas. I don't care for it and have my own personal opinions about why I don't, but bottom line is that it won't derail a loss, just log accurately and make it part of a balanced plan if you drink it. (I do put half and half in my coffee, have tried replacing it with other things and there is just NO substitute!)

Good luck!
  • MySweetPotato
    MySweetPotato Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I eat banana every morning but i dont put any sugar in my drinks/coffees. I think I would die without my dose of bananas and peanut butter.
  • ericscheck68
    Options
    I love bananas. I eat one most days and have lost 43 lbs. They ARE high in sugars, so you just need to balance that out with the rest of your diet. They are packed with good stuff like potassium. I say eat your bananas and enjoy.

As for milk, I don't drink it, but I do put almond milk in my smoothies. You will get a variety of responses on this too. Lots of people drink milk daily and still lose, just like with bananas. I don't care for it and have my own personal opinions about why I don't, but bottom line is that it won't derail a loss, just log accurately and make it part of a balanced plan if you drink it. (I do put half and half in my coffee, have tried replacing it with other things and there is just NO substitute!)

Good luck!

I love almond milk! I really don't like the mouthfeel of soy milk, but almond milk really works well for me.
  • l_clc
    l_clc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas every week, I LOVE them! They are higher in sugar but like someone else said- they are loaded with other healthy things. I find they help keep me fuller longer than other fruits too. I don't drink milk either for my own reasons- I switched to almond milk about a year ago which I drink everyday. I know lots of people who do drink milk (skim) and they have lost a lot of weight. I think it's all about numbers and moderation with everything...you don't need to 'cut' everything or anything you enjoy out of your life just to lose weight imo.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I didnt eat them while i was loosing weight, but they are part of my maintenance plan. I think it just depends on the individual what works and what doest.
  • itapeki
    itapeki Posts: 3
    Options
    bananas are a whole food. with lots of micronutrients, and low in sodium and fat. as with all foods - everything in moderation. they are high in carbohydrates. as long as they fit into your balanced diet, they are fine! if there is a day where you are eating lots of other carbs - then perhaps skip eating a banana!

in terms of milk - national guidelines recommend you have reduced fat dairy products as part of a varied diet. so go with the skim/trim, either one is fine. i guess it just depends which one you prefer in terms of flavour?

just remember though - don't make it a 'diet' as such. new eating behaviours are incorporated into way of life. so make sure whatever decisions you make, make you feel happy! if you love something, and it's not detrimental to your health/weight loss regime, then keep eating it !

:)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. There are no "good" or "bad" foods for dieting. Food is food. Stick to your calorie and nutrient targets. Choose foods that fit this targets. That's all. I eat bananas and drink whole milk. I also eat an entire pint of I e cream in one sitting when I want to.

You're making things way more complicated than they are.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    well I say good,,, I have one very single day!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. There are no "good" or "bad" foods for dieting. Food is food. Stick to your calorie and nutrient targets. Choose foods that fit this targets. That's all. I eat bananas and drink whole milk. I also eat an entire pint of I e cream in one sitting when I want to.

You're making things way more complicated than they are.
    \

QFT
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    What milk do you like best and want to use for the rest of your life?
    Whatever the answer is, use that milk.
    It's a lifestyle change, not a diet so don't do silly things just to lose weight
  • Kylies_mom87
    Options
    Thank you. I appreciate all your advice and I will take it in to consideration.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Banana's - YES ....Dairy milk - YES ...

Your body needs around 4700mg of potassium a day .... it is vital to your muscles, and it helps with Blood Pressure also....Low potassium will affect high BP more so than a high sodium intake ... And both banana's and dairy are good sources of potassium .....
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I have settled in at 2%, I can't get the family to go any lower and most of the brands of skim milk don't taste good to me. I like to have some dairy everyday for the calcium. I am at high risk for osteoperosis. Bananas I love, they are so filling and stick with you. I do incorporate those into my eating plan. I like both of these items though, otherwise I wouldn't eat them.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    2 bananas a weekI?. i eat about that in a day. As you can see it's not stopped my weight loss
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have a banana nearly every day in my oats. As everyone says just keep an eye on the rest of your sugar intake and remember it's natural sugar, not processed.
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of skim milk and a banana or 1/2 a banana depending on how big they are in my protein shake usually a daily thing.
  • Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt. I eat a lot of bananas. Maybe 2-3 a day. I have one with my oatmeal in the morning, and some in my smoothies before bed, and no, it doesn't affect your loss as long as it fits your macros. Also, I buy skim milk. For me, it's better than the original. :)
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about bananas and milk then you are dialed in to an extreme level or you can't see the forest due to the trees.
    And my tone is not snarky...just trying to lend some perspective. :)
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    As everyone said, bananas are ok. Unless you drink 3L a day there is not much difference, skim milk and 2% are both ok. I prefer 2% for breakfast because it's slightly more filling than fat-free and I can't digest whole milk at all.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I like to have a banana with peanut butter on occasion as a post workout treat. As for milk, I switched to almond milk or coconut milk. I will still have milk with my cereal, but I prefer the other varieties, because they have higher levels of calcium in them, along with other nutrients that you can't get from cow's milk.

Coconut milk seems to be very good for my hair and nails. Not sure why this is.