What food plan to follow

Options
Hi

I am size 20 looking to be a size 14 by October. Although im more bothered about my clothes size I currently weigh 238 pounds (17 stone) and my ultimate goal is to be around a size 10/12 and 11 and half stone.

What is the best food plan to follow. I have my exercise sorted I think (3 x nike training club classes a week for 45 mins).

Its just my nutrition that is the problem.

Done loads of diets before and my head is pickled with it all and I don't know what to follow/eat.

What will I do? Ill b 30 in October and want to feel great going into my 30's

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Fill out all the information on MFP, set a realistic goal of 1 lb per week and then eat within that budget. There are no magic foods or diets that will make you lose weight and the weight will come off as it wants. You can't lose it quickly in any kind of sustainable way. Calories in/calories out. Doesn't make much difference what type of food you eat as long as you stay in a deficit.
  • Size142b
    Size142b Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for that. I will start doing that as I usually set myself a lower calorie goal but dont stay with it coz its too hard :(

Love your picture lol, run like you stole something. x
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Fill out all the information on MFP, set a realistic goal of 1 lb per week and then eat within that budget. There are no magic foods or diets that will make you lose weight and the weight will come off as it wants. You can't lose it quickly in any kind of sustainable way. Calories in/calories out. Doesn't make much difference what type of food you eat as long as you stay in a deficit.

This
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What is the best food plan to follow.

The best is the one that suits you and you can stick to without cheating too much.
    I'm doing great with IF (leangains 16/8), and so is my wife, but some may find it hard to fast for 16 hours.
    The only thing you can do is try, monitor and adjust.
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that there is no need to make it too complex!

If you still want to be on the healthier range of the spectrum, here are a few tips:
    1) Limit any kind of processed food, or foods from restaurants. You'll probably notice these are really high in calories and sodium.
    2) Make sure to eat several servings of fruits and veggies a day.
    3) Don't eat any refined grains. Switch to whole grains.

Doing these might actually help you stick to your plan, because processed foods and refined grains tend to make you more hungry while fiber-rich foods tend to keep you full. Of course, you are absolutely allowed to enjoy an unhealthy snack from time to time.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have tried ediets, nutrisystem, weight watchers, south beach and atkins......the best one I have found is right here. Eat healthy, stay under or near your goal, exercise and the weight will fall off. I gave up diet coke and it works for me. The sodium content was ruining everything I did, I have a ways to go but got a feeling I can stick with this "new way of life" first time I don't call it a diet. Good luck!
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    Hi,
    I totally agree with Tiny's post.... I would also like to add that your new eating plan must be more of a lifestyle rather than just a temporary diet......as you said, it will not work otherwise.
    MFP is a great way to record all your food and exercise...and not sure about you, but I am a very visual person so I need to see it on paper or computer etc...to actually see the effects of what's going in my body.....
    You will reach your goals, guaranteed!!!
    Diets with more protein (cutting out carbs) are not good.....just follow a sensible eating plan...in Canada, I follow...the Food guide...which gives you all the right amount of carbs, fats, starches, etc......I am a T1 diabetic, so I count everything I eat......you need the right kind of foods to fuel you through your exercising.....as well as proper proteins to repair your muscles.
    Good luck my dear!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    MFP does work - follow the green numbers and don't go over them. Simples.

There is a bit of self-correction to do, though, and it can be tricky to find the balance on your own.

For instance, if I eat 2/3 of a cylinder of Pringles chips, and nothing else, I will meet my TDEE and not lose or gain weight. Easy. I will spend most of the day hungry and looking at the other 1/3 of a cylinder, though, not to mention all the nutrients I am missing.

It becomes tricky when you are trying to balance the things that one wants to eat against the things one can afford to eat. I think you are really smart to be asking the question at the beginning - what should I eat?

When I joined this site I had a few shocks regarding calories - white rice, bread and pasta were the most expensive things on the list, calorie-wise. I found it hard to hit my iron and calcium requirements.

If you are not following a prescribed diet it will take a bit of juggling until you can fit your calories to your wants. I haven't done it myself, but there are a lot of people who have already worked out the balancing act on here and are willing to share their diaries, and checking them out has to be a good first step.
  • ndboston
    ndboston Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    100% agree.Exercise and calories below your daily goal. It's not rocket science :)
  • Size142b
    Size142b Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for your responses. Everyone is so help.

So Iv set myself up on here to lose 1.5 pounds a week with 3 sets of half hours exercise a week.

So far Im feeling better just with the pressure taken off of my head. Honestly, my head is spinning with all the varying messages in magazines papers etc.

I need to have the willpower to do it this time. Im all chat and no action and it just needs to stop.

Just need to focus myself. If anyone wants to add me feel free. BTW the profile picture is what I would like to look like. Not what I do look like lol.
    xx
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    So Iv set myself up to loe 1.5 pounds a week. So im hoping I have the willpower to do it this time. Im an all chat and no action kind of person.

Just need to focus myself. x

I recommend you search out some (many) people on here with similar goals and have a good look at their food diaries. It can be really difficult to translate xyz calories into 3 meals and snacks. Don't try to re-invent the wheel when others have already marked the path for you. There are a lot of very helpful people on here.
  • pheona76
    pheona76 Posts: 37
    Options
    Look all the advice that is given here is great and completely true. But if you are looking for someone to kinda give you a hint on some actionable items. Here are some things I have learned.

1) definitely use this tool to food journal until your new life diet becomes natural. Or in cases where you feel yourself drifting into bad habits.
    2) Start looking at foods you would usually eat and replacing them with things you like with lower caloric intake.
    3) except you will be hungry. Especially in the start until your body gets used to your diet. Distract yourself from this. This is probably bad form but myself and several of my friends have used it. The first 3 days are the worst. Remember that and take a weekend to plow through them with a ridiculously low calorie diet. Like just veggies and water and sleeping. After these first 3 days your "Stomach Shrinks" and you should not feel as hungry on your normal low cal. diet.
    4) Water and Coffee make you full. So does smoking but that's worse then being a little over weight so I wouldn't go there.
    And by water yes just drinking water helps but even better is finding food with a lot of water in it. Such as veggies and fruit. But also if you tend to eat a lot in the morning or be dying for a snack in the afternoon. Make a homemade shake. I have a banana, peanut butter and kale shake with a little oatmeal every morning. It is a couple hundred calories, but it really sticks with me until late lunch and it is largely water. Also I add a good amount of ice and it seems like I am having a huge breakfast. So mentally I feel satiated.
    5) Fruits and Veggies. Fill your plate with fresh fruits and veggies and then treat meat or nuts or cheese or carbs as a small side item.
    6) Cut carbs way way down. I eat like maybe a whole wheat bread round a day. maybe. However, I eat as much simple sugar as I want. And by this I mean naturally in my fruits and veggies. not gummy bears. but I eat all whole wheat. I eat very little pasta, rice, bread... You will get plenty of complex carbs in veggies. Also, veggies and fruit are high in fiber which is good.
    7) Eat lean meats. Chicken, Turkey, Fish... Watch for hidden fats. Like shrimp, beef, things prepared in oil or butter. So on.
    8) make your food as much as possible. and Be adventurous. try new things. Don't let yourself get bored. make fresh food. Enjoy your food. Really taste it.
    9) If you are dying to cheat. Do it. Don't let it become a compulsion where you eat your whole fridge full. But account for it and up your work out for the day to burn it off.

My general everyday diet: Shake in the morning home made. Salad I prepare myself at home for lunch and a homemade warm dinner. Most of the diet is veggies. I only usually eat carbs at night because that is my danger time (or most hungry time) I need to save my calories for this time.

Hope that helps.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I started by just trying to eat within my calorie goals and didn't decide on a plan.... then as I made it through a few weeks.. I started figuring out how to eat more healthy and how those choices result in being to eat MORE. and I realized if I exercise and eat those calories back I still get to eat MORE> lol. Now i see changes and a great thing is happening.. I want to eat and exercise to change my body in a healthy way.

for me..it is has been a process.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    none
    just count cals
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Find your TDEE using an online calculator... get more active if you have a desk job otherwise your cut will probably have you eating below your bmr. DO NOT follow the 1200 calorie/day MFP guidelines because you said so yourself, it's too hard. Losing weight doesn't have to be a penance for gaining it in the first place. Misery Not Required. I started very close to your weight and have consistently lost on 1850 calories/day. You have a lot of options with a humane amount of calories and you'll be in it for the long haul.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    none
    just count cals

This is almost the opposite of what elisa and myself have said.

It can be difficult working out how to get enough to eat so you don't feel hungry without going over your allowance. For someone just starting out it can be confusing.

A couple of pieces of cheese on toast can be a large part of a person's daily allowance, and it is only 9:30am!
  • TBirdColorado
    TBirdColorado Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Get thee "Just Tell Me What to Eat" by Dr. Timothy S. Harlan.

He is a Chef turned medical doctor. It's not a fad diet, it's not about depriving yourself.
    It's about educating yourself and finding a way to lose weight in as healthy a way as possible. Calorie counting is not enough - you have to chose which calories benefit you in the most balanced and nutritional way. (IE 1200 calories of waffles, grilled cheese, potato chips and bacon is NOT equivalent to 1200 calories of lean meat, fruit, and vegetables.)

Can you eat fettuccine Alfredo? Yep - they have recipes on their website. Can you eat muffins? If you use common sense and don't make it a chocolate muffin with cream filling.

It's all about yummy food that is full of beneficial nutrients.

The recipes make enough so that you have leftovers for lunch. Check the website ...

And here is a review: http://blogcritics.org/book-review-just-tell-me-what1/
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You don't have to follow any particular diet. You don't really even need to make major changes in what you're eating, although you may want to. What you do have to do is watch your portions. Eating healthier is a good thing in the long run and is a satisfying way to eat...eating consciously for nutrition as well as pleasure. Life is too short not to enjoy bacon or icecream now and then though.if it fits your macros for the day.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If you want a lifestyle to follow, I would suggest the one suggested to me by a dietitian. I have reactive hypo which could lead to diabetes type 2. I reactive badly to simple carbs, but the lifestyle is a good one for everybody to follow.

Macros to set (find your personal preference)

-- Carbs: Max 50%; Min 40% (though I found 35% was good for me)
    -- Fat: Max 40%; Min 25%
    -- Protein: Max 35%; Min 20%

-- Reduce/eliminate all simple carbs: sugar, honey, white bread, HFCS, beet sugar, bananas, tropical fruits, dried fruits, etc.
    -- Eat in moderation moderate gi foods: carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.
    -- Always eat a protein first. Eat carbs last.

Zone, Paleo, Primal, Sugar Busters, Atkins maintenance phase are all good recommendations to follow.