Need a reason to be calm in the face of life's daily stesses

Options
I am a big stress er. So when I stress I make myself happy for a moment with food. When I am trying to lose the weight I count my calories but that is only half the battle .... Dr. Oz (anyone familiar with him?) ....enlighten me on one thing. Want to know how stressed you are, take a look at how much belly fat you have. The larger your waist the higher your stress. Not all fat is skin-deep. Deep down under your muscles, the omentum drapes off the stomach like stockings on a hanger. As we store fat, the omentum wraps around to give us the dreaded beer belly. Usually omentum is thin with some webbing in it. If you store a lot of fat it looks like a hanger with snowpants. His description is to long for me to go into but the base line is this. When your under chronic stress (the drought or the nagging task), your body needs to find a way to deal with those high levels of cortisol. So your omentum clears the cortisol steroids; it has receptors that bind to them and can suck them out of the bloodstream. Dr. Oz says this doesn't necessarily reduce the stress level that you feel. The steroids turbocharge the ability of omentum to store fat, so your belly fat (and subsequent waist size) becomes the best surrogate indicator of how well you are really coping with stress - despite what your brain might be claiming. So if everything worries you, (like me....it's not enough to worry about my family and friends... I worry about the homeless, helpless, etc.) you need to find a way to cope. Walking is a wonderful no coast way of releasing the feel good endorphins. Yoga is excellent, taking deep breath's actually helps, and believe it or not smiling. Smiling tricks your brain... When you start smiling, your cheek will send messages to your brain. At the same time, happiness hormones spreads and it will stop the production of stress hormones like cortisol and adrenalin. Smile also triggers your immunity system which strengthen your body and produce antibodies. Now I am getting ready to go walk, hope yall have a great day. :)

Replies

• sm0810
    sm0810 Posts: 3
    Options
    Holy Cow!!! Yes, I am wearing my stress around my waist for sure!!!
  • khaleesinoodlebelly
    khaleesinoodlebelly Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    That was beautifully put :) I have lots of belly fat more than anything. And I worry A L O T--I had read his description before, but it was a nicre reminder.. I need to pick up that book again.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to smile on your walk.:happy: I watch Dr. Oz also. He has some interesting shows. I think a lot of woman are stressed these days. Home,kids,work,family and self. What's to worry...:laugh: You have to keep a sense of humor along with the stress. Have a good day.
  • sherrywoody1
    Options
    I have all of his books, this one came out of You: on a Diet. ....
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I agree with smiling:wink: