How to lighten the recipe??

Options
2»

Replies

• angserino
    angserino Posts: 59
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I will be giving this a try.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I use the cornstarch and skimmed milk option but with decent cheese just less of it. It does work but is a bit bland so I either go heavy on the black pepper or add Nutmeg, Bay, English Mustard or Tabasco to help with the flavour.
  • JenNuma
    JenNuma Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Low fat cream cheese. What is this sauce used for?
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    WOW!1 I learned a lot on this thread!! Make the best Mother sauce and then next Rule the World!! :bigsmile:

I will try some of these ideas for making a skinny mac n cheese!! :tongue:
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't what you asked - but can you just make a different recipe? scallops and spinach in a lemony/herb sauce? I find that when you start substituting light butter for real butter, milk for cream (though milk for cream is one that i do often), soy milk for milk, inferior cheese for parm - well, you end up with a whole different thing. I'd rather either keep the original and have a smaller portion or try something else.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    replace the butter with a light margerine (I just started using smart balance light made with flaxseed oil and its really good) that will cut the calories for the butter in half. Use a skim version of the parmesean cheese, and use half and half or evaporated milk for the cream.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Canned, evaporated milk is a great substitute for cream in cooking. Also, Laughing Cow alfredo is a great cream sauce substitute. Just melt some Laughing Cow wedges with a bit of milk. Voila. Instant alfredo. And, in many recipes, you can sub olive oil for butter.