Wandered into GNC............

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
So while I'm waiting for DW and DD in the mall, there was GNC across the way so I wandered in there curious to see what "new" products are being sold out there and pricing (I buy protein and BCAA's). Of course an attendant comes up to me to find out what I'm looking for and I politely let him know that I was just "killin' time" while my wife and daughter were shopping. He left only to come back and bring their GNC Pre Diet cleanse.
So just for kicks I asked him what it does. He went on to explain how the body is inundated with toxins and chemicals that this would help to flush them out of my system making my body more efficient at absorbing nutrients.:laugh:
I asked him what toxins were being flushed and he replied "Um, well there are lots. Too many to name." I asked him to just name one. Lol, he said sodium. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I saved him the grief and told him that I really wasn't interested in the product. He left me alone after that, but it's misinformation like that that gets people to buy supplements that they don't need to buy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    After I decided I wasn't getting enough proteins in my regular diet I had stopped in GNC to peruse their whey supplements. I was immediately approached by a female employee who asked me if she could help. I told her to lead me to the protein powders. She eyed me up and down and asked me what I was trying to do. Being a novice, I told her I was eating at a deficit to lose weight but needed a supplement cause I started strength training and wanted to preserve lean mass. She said okay, then proceeded to try to sell me meal replacement shakes (lean 25). She told me if I took whey protein that I would get big and bulky. Even at a deficit. Thank goodness for the *kitten* I learn on MFP from ya'll, cause I just thanked her politely, walked across the street to Wal-Mart and bought their supplements. Like really GNC, if your gonna charge highway robbery prices prices on your products, at least train your damn employees to know wtf they are talking about.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The supplement industry is a joke. Most supplement "experts" have no idea what they're talking about. If you're buying anything more than a multivitamin, a source of EFAs, Creatine, BCAAs(only necessary for fasted training), and maybe Whey, then you're wasting your money. The thing that makes me laugh the most is when people drink a shake with dextrose or maltodextrin in it after their workout.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The supplement industry is a joke. Most supplement "experts" have no idea what they're talking about. If you're buying anything more than a multivitamin, a source of EFAs, Creatine, BCAAs(only necessary for fasted training), and maybe Whey, then you're wasting your money. The thing that makes me laugh the most is when people drink a shake with dextrose or maltodextrin in it after their workout.

I am curious to why you listed EFA's, Creatine, BCAAs then said "maybe" whey. When out of all those Whey is the first one the average person doing strength training should consider.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

I am curious to why you listed EFA's, Creatine, BCAAs then said "maybe" whey. When out of all those Whey is the first one the average person doing strength training should consider.

There is nothing special about whey protein, and the only reason people should be consuming whey protein is if they can't eat enough protein to meet their needs, or if they don't have time to cook. When there is a choice, you should always get your protein from whole food sources as opposed to "drinking" your protein. People see whey protein as some magical thing that is somehow better than chicken or beef, it is not, plus whole foods have the benefit of keeping you fuller longer. Supplements are meant to "supplement" an incomplete diet, not replace food. As for the other supps I mentioned, most people don't eat nearly enough fish to get the EFAs they should be getting which is why they are important, creatine is very helpful for increasing strength and energy during weight lifting, and BCAAs are useful if you plan on working out fasted, otherwise they are a waste of money if you've already eaten.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    He left me alone after that, but it's misinformation like that that gets people to buy supplements that they don't need to buy .
    and is likely dangerous to consume
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Is there some special school GNC employs must go to in order to be the most annoying sales people on the planet? I think their must be because I have been to more than a few GNC stores and everyone of them has annoying sales people. I went into the GNC in my neighborhood to look for protein powder and whoops it was more than twice as much as the protein powder I get at Whole Foods so I took the 1 and a half hour round trip to go and get it there. I think they are seriously over priced and I have seen that they sell products that can be dangerous and deadly.
  • ironlady10
    ironlady10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have found that at GNC too, you may find one or two that know what they're talking about. Glad you did'nt take it and knew better.. Keep up the wise choices!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I had a GNC rep try to sell me a fat burner the other day.. He said, "This has all the natural stuff that Dr. Oz endorses for belly fat loss, raspberry keytones, green coffee bean..." I cut him off and said, seriously, get away for me with that Dr. Oz *kitten*. LOL I just lean that lean 25 pro mix from GNC and CLA.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

There is nothing special about whey protein, and the only reason people should be consuming whey protein is if they can't eat enough protein to meet their needs, or if they don't have time to cook. When there is a choice, you should always get your protein from whole food sources as opposed to "drinking" your protein. People see whey protein as some magical thing that is somehow better than chicken or beef, it is not, plus whole foods have the benefit of keeping you fuller longer. Supplements are meant to "supplement" an incomplete diet, not replace food. As for the other supps I mentioned, most people don't eat nearly enough fish to get the EFAs they should be getting which is why they are important, creatine is very helpful for increasing strength and energy during weight lifting, and BCAAs are useful if you plan on working out fasted, otherwise they are a waste of money if you've already eaten.

Whey is also a great way to increase your pro intake and not your fat intake, it's low calorie protein, and it increases water intake as well. Oh.. and its great on the go food. I do a pro shake and an apple almost every evening at work.. where other food isn't an option.
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    From reading things posted by employees of that chain, they are under a lot of pressure to sell you GNC branded products. If you do not meet certain % quotas they can and will be terminated for under performing. Personally, I don't enter that store unless I've run out of something and don't have time to wait for an online shipment. Know what you want before you go shoping, don't think you can trust the expertise of a minimum wage retail worker.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, GNC was really the only place I could buy supplements. And believe me, I used to be a supplement junkie (50 pills a day) till I really sat down and researched it. Anyway, it was about going in on their membership reduced priced days and getting everything I could. I used to spend up to $200 a month on supplements.
    Now with the internet (bodybuilding.com is a great place with a fair price), GNC is just a store decoration.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    My favourite thing at GNC is those sweets that are meant to be vitamins - loaded with sugar and every other chemical - i wonder how many ppl down bags of those thigns thinking its doing them good????

terrible......