Starting again without gimmicks

Options
Hello, I am a yoyo dieter, but at over 60 years old, it's time for me to stop. I lost over 30 pounds in the fall with Ideal Protein, but gained it all back. I would like to simply learn how to eat wisely -- and MFP looks like the right way. I walk a lot but don't do much other exercise. I don't have an iphone -- and I'm wondering how everyone else remembers to log on, track food and keep up.

Replies

• hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you get an inexpensive food scale if you don't have one and put it out next to a notepad and pen on your counter. As you prepare your food, weigh and write it all down. At least a couple of times a day take your notepad and enter what you've eaten into your computer. It gets quicker once you've been doing it a little while and it'll become habit after a few weeks. It's well worth the effort it takes. Good luck!
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    hzliiz said exactly what I was going to say. Another thing you can do is plan ahead. Enter your food the day before or the morning of, and then print it out and stick it on your fridge. Then you can just refer to it throughout the day, and jot down any changes or notes while you're in your kitchen.

I think it's really important to have a food scale, too. I think most people, including myself, totally under or over estimate their food quantities. After you use it regularly, you won't need to weight your every day foods anymore. For example, i figured out that for me, small handful of almonds -- not cheating by taking a HUGE handful -- is exactly an ounce.

Hope this helps!
  • maddysnanny
    Options
    I am tired of dieting! I've tried them all and they all work for awhile. I don't want to feel like I'm dieting any more. I want to have a treat now and again and not think I've "broken" something. I know I am an all-or-nothing person but it's time to be a person of moderation. I know this group will be a great support!
  • marhod5
    marhod5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't have a smart phone either. I do all my logging on the computer. I log on in the morning and enter my breakfast. Lunch is a work and I have to remember it. I don't write it down, because I would probably lose it! But I am able to remember that meal. When I get home, I log lunch and any snacks. Then I log dinner after I eat. It was hard at first, but it's pretty easy now. I've been doing it for about 2 months.
  • sarily44
    sarily44 Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, everybody. I know I did well on a very restrictive diet, but I think w/ MFP I can eat real food and still lose weight. I need to look for a food scale; I hadn't thought of that.
  • sarily44
    Options
    Twenty pounds in two months sounds really great. I hope I can keep remembering to log everything.
  • sarily44
    Options
    I like the idea of planning ahead and posting the meals for the next day. I'm used to putting the menus for when I'm having a lot of people over on the fridge, so that will work for me. How do you get the weight loss tickers? I haven't really looked around the site yet.