How much and how often?

Options
Hi all!

I'm just being nosey really with this post but I have two questions:

1. How many calories do you NET per day on average?
2. How often do you work out and for how long?

I'm reassessing my own amounts and just wondered what others do.

Thanks for your replies in advance :)

Thanks
xxx

Replies

• morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    1. On average I net 1200 but I will up this because I don't feel it's enough. I've just started, so 1200 was ok for a while, but I'll need to rework my strategy. Mind you, it's working though.

2. I work out anything between 3-5 times per week, depending on how much time I can dedicate with my very busy schedule. When I work out, I do about 30 min cardio (treadmill+cycling or swimming) and I do strength exercises 2-3 times a week.

PS I am nosey too, so what's your 1. and 2.?
  • itsanatalia
    itsanatalia Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    1. On average I net about 1300. I use to be a person who ate just because (I was sad, I was bored, etc.), and I've slowly been able to do a personal check in and see if I'm really hungry. That's helped a lot. It's drastically cut down on how much I've eaten.

2. I work out about 4-6 times a week depending on how motivating and busy I am. I'm currently only focusing on cardio and do about 40 min a day, but I split them up, so I do about 20 in the morning and then 20 in the afternoon.

This has worked for me. I started out MFP at 216 and about six weeks later I'm down to 209 with a couple of bumps in the road. It's a process of learning :)
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1800-2200 calories and net anywhere from 1300-1800 calories a day, but I really need to get that higher.

I exercise 6-7 times a week for 1 hr to 1.5 hr. Workouts are lifting heavy mixed with HIIT or marathon training runs that are 6+ miles. I've seen a pretty decent decrease in body fat.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1800-2200 calories and net anywhere from 1300-1800 calories a day, but I really need to get that higher.

I exercise 6-7 times a week for 1 hr to 1.5 hr. Workouts are lifting heavy mixed with HIIT or marathon training runs that are 6+ miles. I've seen a pretty decent decrease in body fat.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I do the TDEE method, so daily goal is the same no matter what (1900), but I always make sure I net above my BMR, which is 1400.

I exercise on average about an hour a day, 5-6 days a week. Diary is open. :smile:
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I net between 1200-1400 calories, usually.
    As far as exercise goes, I spend about 2.5 hours a week doing cardio and 2 hours on strength training.
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    I just started the TDEE method after reading a ton of helpful threads here on MFP. My plan is to NET above my BMR which is 1550. I've been eating anywhere from 1,600 to 1,900 depending on if I workout or not. My sweet spot number is 1,705 cals though, so I try to say as close to that as possible. :) I workout 3-4 times a week for 30-45 minutes each (I have a very hectic work schedule, so I have to fit workouts in whenever I can)!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I net 1470 per day. Sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more. But always pretty close to that target.

I exercise 5 days a week, between 20-45 minutes each time. Mostly I do circuit training type videos with cardio and light weights at the same time. Occasionally I do pure cardio or only weights.
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1250 calories a day, but according to MFP on an average day I net about 200-300 cals.

On an average day, I run a 5k in the morning, do my 40 ish minute insanity video for that day, a short 20-25 minute Pilates video, and I'm currently participating in the 30 day arm and squat challenges. On Thursdays when my insanity video is a recovery/yoga video, I do my own 45 minute circuit training workout; I do the same on days when insanity only has me do a fitness test (this will change when I get into the second month of it, however). I also work at McDonald's and at a pool snack bar, so I spend a good 9 or 10 hours on my feet bustling around and cleaning ad such, so when I log it I log it as "cooking and food preparation" and log half the amount of time I worked, to make sure I don't over log calories considering I'm not sure what cooking and food preparation entails (but it sounded more fair than logging walking or cleaning).
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I typically net around 1350 - 1450 a day. I weight train 3 days per week for about 60 minutes, run 3 days per week (2 miles each time - before and after weight training) and walk very other night (or swim or something else). the walking does not feel like exercise but it does burn more calories than just sitting around - I burn an average of 300 calories per day and eat 1700.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I net about 1600 daily. I lift weights 2-3 times a week for 20-30 minutes. I go to taekwondo classes 1-2 times a week, except when school is out for a tournament or something, as they are this week. I try to walk to errands whenever possible, a few times a week.
  • brennamathis
    Options
    I net in the 1200 range each day, never less than 1100, very rarely more than 1500. I walk/jog at least 20-30 minutes every day, do 30 day shred 2-3 days a week, all of which I track. Then whatever other random "exercise" I do with my everyday life....swimming with the kids, running around the house/yard with them, walking around at work (I'm a bank teller but sit *maybe* five minutes a shift), helping coach baseball for one kid, etc. I rarely count any of those random things though unless I really break a sweat or spend an extended amount of time (1+ hour) doing it.