Any disadvantage when protein is over goal?

kfrazier
kfrazier Posts: 28 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Is there a disadvantage when your protein is over goal for the day (with respect to weight loss/fat burning)? I ate a can of tuna for lunch which pushed me over for the day already! I cringe when my carbs or fat are over, but I"m not sure what to think about the protein.

Thanks!

Replies

• fifiharris01
    fifiharris01 Posts: 5 Member
    I have been wondering the same thing! I can't seem to get all of my nutrients in w/o going over on sodium or sugars. :-(
  • I was asking the same thing. I just started this MFP and my protien has been over every day... My husband said that you can have to much protien.. but i am not to sure.
  • I would think going over protein would be better than going over on your carbs. I have the same problem.
  • I think it's a good thing. I've been trying to go lower on the carbs and higher on protein and fiber.
  • AmenoKaji
    AmenoKaji Posts: 41 Member
    Eh its debateable, suppose it depends on who you're asking but from what I know. Excess proteins that aren't absorbed into the body, usually pass with your urine. And I think some doctor or another somewhere said that excessive amounts of protein puts a strain on your kidneys to process it, but honestly, if you're building muscle and or trying to maintain muscle and working out frequently, I don't think there isany problem with it. I have maintained levels of 150grams+ of protein daily for the last 2 years and I am in better health then I have ever been. Competition bodybuilders, the ones you see that are 280lbs of muscle and 4% bodyfat, consume anywhere from 300grams (offseason) to 600 grams of protein. Which are levels normal dieters will never get reach at all.

More protein the better honestly, your muscles need it. This is usually why its recommended to have a whey protein shake after your workouts.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Up to 30% of total calories from protein is considered fine, anything more may have adverse affects. That being said MFP defaults to 15% protein so you can double the protein on MFP and be fine. you can also adjust your nutrient goals. the default is 60% carbs, 25% fat and 15% protein. For most people that workout 15% protein is not enough to help rebuild muscle tissue. You can change your goals by going to goals, select change goals, select custom and make the changes by increasing protein and lower carbs or fat, then click save changes.
  • kfrazier
    Thanks for the feedback guys! That is helpful!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Like erickirb said, you can change the settings. Most people that lift weights need more protein.
  • kfrazier
    I checked my settings and they are set to the defaults of:

55% Carbs
    15% protein
    30% fat

I am currently doing strength training for 225 minutes per week. I also do various aerobic activity (walking, running, biking) for a minimum of 120 minutes per week. If I hit the bike trail on the weekend, that increases it by a couple of hours. I recently had my body fat measured at 37%.

Does anybody know what goal values I should aim for based on that?

Thanks guys!
This discussion has been closed.