Beginner at all this exercise!

Options
I've been exercising hard at the gym for 3 weeks. I did the elliptical for the first time at the gym today for 22 minutes and had to keep stopping then starting. Will this get easier, and will this help me be able to start running? And if I do the elliptical, do I need to still do the bike and the treadmill? I know I need to still do the weights. I'm looking for a huge amount of weight loss and want to be able to run. Any suggestions on how to get there? Thanks! :smile: :smile:

Replies

• brynnlantz
    Options
    I haven't ever been a big elliptical person but when I got back into running after 2 or 3 year break it was definitely hard! I started out running 2 miles and would have to take a walk break at about 1 mile. Then each time after that I would make myself try and run 1 block further before stopping until I could do the whole 2 miles then added further distance. It felt really good each time I was able to go even 1 block further!

I would think doing the elliptical would help with running as well but again I've never really done elliptical workouts. Try and pay attention to when you stop and try to push that time back further by even 30 sec or min each workout.

You could also try the couch to 5k program, in the beginning it incorporates walking and jogging so that it's an easier transition into jogging constantly
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Just keep up with it and it WILL get easier! Good Luck!!
  • scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    For me the elliptical is my favorite machine and I seem like I can go forever on it. My wife on the other hand, has bad knees and has finally worked her way up to 20 minutes. She adds in the bike or treadmill to finish getting her work in. I would say as long as you are doing something to get your heart rate up, it's all good.