Discouraged, Advice Welcomed

Options
I have done more exercising then I usally do, burning as many calories as I can up to 1800 calories or more a day, I didn't go to the gym before and have been going the last 5 weeks, I have been watching what I eat best I can. I had one bad day on fourth of july, but other then that, I have been under my calorie goal I usually eat around 1,000 calories. I have actually gained 3 pounds this morning :(... I want to cry I don't understand, the only thing I can think of is I take steroids for my Addison's Disease, but why now am I gaining weight? It doesn't make sense I shouldn't be gaining at this point. I have lost inches off my chest, and my waist, and my hips, and my neck, 2" off each Which I am happy about but sure would like to see the scales go down.. I even look thinner but the weight went up I don't understand. I only ate around 535 calories yesterday I wasn't feeling well. You would think I would lose at least 1 pound for that. Because of my injury to my ankle I am halted on exercising right now that goes to show you how much exercising I have been doing. I think I am going to lower my carbs, I have got to lose this weight and lowering carbs will do it. I was just hoping the exercising would do it.. I almost feel like giving up. Very discouraging. Any ideas on why I gained? I have been on the steroids for 4 years now for my disease, and I have remained at a certain weight this year. So you think if I add exercising into it, something would change and it would go down. I am on the same steroid dosage. Maybe I need to look back at my diet for the last week or so, I know my carbs are more then it should be around 75mg a day and my sugars need to come down more just need to work on that. I have really cut out alot of things, and all I do is Drink water. My legs have been cramping up. I am taking magnesium and calcium, but still hurts. Just wanted to vent, not sure what to do I can't come off the steroids. Thanks

Replies

• bunnsangel
    bunnsangel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hate that you gained Pamm. I only lost a half pound this week. I have been working out more and still didn't lose as much as I thought. It can be very discouraging, but don't give up. The weight will start to come off. You don't want it to come off too fast, because more than likely you will gain it back. Just keep doing what you are and make sure you are logging every thing you eat, to keep track of your calories. WE WILL DO THIS. I HAVE YOUR BACK!!!!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. 1000 calories a day doesn't even give your body the fuel it needs to do its daily activities. And the 535 yesterday is not going to magically make you lose a pound. Educate yourself on healthy eating and sustainable weight loss.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Your body thinks your trying to kill yourself. You need to fuel your body for what you're doing. eat. hydrate. cramping is not good.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Burning 1800 and only eating 1000 is likely your problem, or at least a big part of it. That leaves you with negative net cals, which equals out of gas! You're working your body hard, and then not giving it any fuel - effectively giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

Also, exercise can cause water retention as your muscles hold onto the water to repair themselves, which can show as a gain on the scale.

Great article here on the problems with over training and under eating: http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html

What is your daily calorie goal? If you make your diary public it would be easier to offer more advice. :smile:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Burning 1800 and only eating 1000 is likely your problem, or at least a big part of it. That leaves you with negative net cals, which equals out of gas! You're working your body hard, and then not giving it any fuel - effectively giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

Also, exercise can cause water retention as your muscles hold onto the water to repair themselves, which can show as a gain on the scale.

Great article here on the problems with over training and under eating: http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html

What is your daily calorie goal? If you make your diary public it would be easier to offer more advice. :smile:

All o f this. The advice you need has already all been said here. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    why are you abusing your body?

if you go into this with the aim of skinny at any cost then you're going to regret it.
    thee's no way your body can repair the daily damage on those puny rations.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more and make sure you eat more consistently. Get a digital scale and weigh your food, measuring cups and spoons are inadequate. See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

How are you estimating your exercise calories? An HRM will give you the best estimate. Honestly, I'm very doubtful when I see posts of 1800 calories burned from exercise a day. I don't even approach that when I'm doing a half marathon.

In my experience, people don't lose weight when they under eat, over eat from poor measurements of food, estimate exercise calories much higher than they really are, and sometimes by eating too much sodium since water retention from sodium can play havoc with the scale.

These are two of my favorite MFP links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/992171-10-things-i-ve-learned-so-far

Best Wishes!
  • Pamm8577
    Pamm8577 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all Your Comments, I Use a BodyMedia Fit Armband To Keep up With My Calories Burned & Before I Got That I Had a Polar Heart Rate Monitor Watch & Heart Rate Belt That Kept Up With My Activities & Heart Rate. Before That I Would Add my Activities In Manually. So Its Accurate on How Many Calories I Burn, Maybe Its What I do That Gets My Heart Rate Up That Burns Those Many Calories. Idk My Heart Rate Gets On Up There. But My Target Calorie Goal A Day is 1200. My Doctor Told me Calories In & Calories Out Is What Causes Weight Loss. I Explained To him That When I am Burning More Calories Then Taking In & I am IN The Negative and I asked him What Does That Mean & That Was His Answer. He Said Not to go by that. So Now I am confused, I will Open Up Those Links after I Write This. I Had my Diary Public, just recently went to private, I didn't know which was best. Thank you!!
  • Pamm8577
    Options
    How am I abusing my body? I am not trying too, I have addison's disease and when I feel bad I can't eat. So I need to find a alternative like replacement shakes. The Addison's Disease causes my to be nauseated.
  • Pamm8577
    Options

• gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Having an injury will make you retain water. Plus if you look slimmer, your clothes are looser, and your measurements are down, does the # on the scale matter that much?
  • Pamm8577
    Options
    Sorry I am new to this whole thing, I meant to comment on each comment separately but I wanted to thank you for everyone's comment and I will go make my diary public. When my sugar drops I do grab something I shouldn't and I guess you can say I get embarrassed of my bad choices. But I will make it public. 1200 Calories Is What I am Aiming For. How Many Carbs Should One aim for In a Day? And If What My Doctor Saids Is Wrong, about the Calories in & Calories Out Causes Weight Loss Then How Should It Be? I thought that was the whole point of exercising so you can burn the calories you have taking in. I will research that link you sent me. Thanks!! You all have helped me alot...:smile:
  • Pamm8577
    Options
    Having an injury will make you retain water. Plus if you look slimmer, your clothes are looser, and your measurements are down, does the # on the scale matter that much?

I Have Done Something To My Ankle Getting a MRI This Week & I don't see how that makes you retain water, could you be more specific please? True the Measurements should be all that matters. I am just trying to get the scales to move too. Thanks for your comment.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    re read ,your post op, keep this in mind, 1200 calories is MINIMAL FOR WEIGHT LOSS, eating 500 in one day won't help with losing, it can cause your body to hold the fluid necessary to sustain life, water weight, and one bad meal doesn't make you fat just like one good meal doesn't make u fit. U have to live fitness to achieve fitness! Good luck
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    A tip - don't get on the scale. Throw it out. As long as you are losing inches and your clothes fit better, you are doing it right. If you mentally need the scale feedback, limit it to once a week. Stick it in the closet and pull it out Saturday morning.

And eat more, don't starve yourself sick! Good luck!
  • almostMalott
    Options
    Agreed on whats already been said is true. Also, make sure you are being honest with yourself about your intake and output.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options

Okay, this ^ very helpful! Had no idea about this, thank you. ^_^
  • sshilcr
    sshilcr Posts: 3
    Options
    Sometimes we think that more is better but it isn't always the case. Your body is struggling with the extreme workouts but the deficit
    in calories your body needs to function. The body is very efficient and may think you are in starvation mode and holding on to all of the
    fat regardless of your exercise. Bump up the calories and reduce the exercise and I think you will find more success. I was watching a tv reality show on this one personal trainer and their client. The client was doing what you are doing and guess what was not losing any
    weight. Once the client went to a nutritionist who added food the client started losing weight. Sounds like it won't work but it really does.
    Good luck and you sound like a very conscious person who is totally committed to losing weight and getting more fit. You will do this!
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Read Eat to live by Dr Joel fuhrman. Have your thyroid tested. I was in the same boat as you. Finally found a lifestyle that my body loses the
    weight.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think you've had a lot of good advice in this topic already but I honestly don't think your body has the energy to lose weight from what you are eating. I eat around 1700-1800 calories per day and eat back nearly all of my exercise calories. I am losing steadily but am losing nearly all fat not muscle. I do a combination of cardio (cycling and running) plus walking 10,000 steps minimum per day and resistance work.

I'm not sure what your doctor didn't understand. If my doctor said that to me I'd be looking for advice elsewhere.