Eating after Working Out

Options
I need some help. I have been planning my menu for next week and I have quite a bit planned to meet my 1200 calories per day, but lately while at the gym I have burning 700-800 calories. I know I should eat those back, but that is a lot to eat back if I am going to the gym in the afternoon/evening. Any suggestions on what I can eat to get those extra 800 covered?

My idea was a peanut butter sandwich and pretzels. I am a REALLY picky eater, but I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you are absolutely sure you're going to go to the gym, go ahead and make your breakfast, lunch and snacks before you go higher in calories. You don't have to wait until you exercise to eat them.

If you're short one day by like 200 calories, eat them the next day.
  • Helenca76
    Helenca76 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Pasta is the best way to eat back what you've burnt. A small portion of 100g can be as much as 400 calories. Mix cooked tagliatelle with some Philadelphia light garlic and herb cream cheese, chop up some ham and fry off some mushrooms in a low cal spray, mix it all up and you have a meal to replace what you have burnt off.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Nuts are packed with healthy fats and calories.

ETA: I make my own trail mix - yum!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If you are absolutely sure you're going to go to the gym, go ahead and make your breakfast, lunch and snacks before you go higher in calories. You don't have to wait until you exercise to eat them.

If you're short one day by like 200 calories, eat them the next day.

This. Planning is good.

And if planning fails, ice cream is good too :laugh:
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    Add a banana to the peanut butter sandwich. If you don't want pretzels maybe some popcorn. Dried fruit or trail mix. Some liquid calories.
  • fat2fit72014
    Options
    Thank you for all your suggestions! This morning when I woke up I decided I just need to have a set schedule of gym days vs rest days, so I made one. I am going to plan on having more in the morning than just yogurt for breakfast, have my normal snack, lunch, snack then I will go to the gym after work and then eat dinner. That will hopefully make it a little easier for me to eat my calories. I am trying to stay healthy with my eating, but sometimes that ice cream does sound pretty good!

I did end up making a trail mix of nuts, cheerios, chocolate chips, and pretzels to help with the calories.