RIP, Oster; Hello, Vitamix.

Options
I may soon be in a position to purchase a Vitamix for my upcoming 30th and Golden birthday. Conveniently, or inconveniently, this afternoon my Oster blender perished in a plume of smoke, which provides the final "excuse" to move forward with this investment.

What insight can you provide as to the best Vitamix model to choose?
Essential and non-essential features?
Recommended online reviews?

Replies

• flsusi
    flsusi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the basic Vitamix model, the one they sell refurbished (yes, the cheapest one ;)

I can tell you that ever since I got it I have fallen in LOVE with it and use it almost every day.
    Mostly I make vegetable and/or fruit smoothies. Its SO easy. Simply toss the fruit in there and seconds later you have a delicious and healthy meal!

I have started making soups, super-easy also. For example: throw in a few tomatoes, some bell pepper, onion, a carrot, some spices, basil - let the Vitamix do its thing and a few minutes later you have a hot and delicious soup.... or not really, cause in reality you are eating a bunch of vegetables!

My opinion: yes, it's pricey. but HECK yes it's worth it!
  • laurafitpal01
    Options
    I have a Vitamix 7500. It's the newer model and a bit quieter from the older ones from what I understand. If you're on a budget, the refurbished models are a lot cheaper and still come with a 5 year warranty.

For me, the best accessorie you can have is a good, small spatula. It helps you get in between the blades and the wall of the container to scrape everything clean.

Before I bought mine, I did a lot of research and found one site to be really helpful - http://blenderreviews.us - it has reviews of almost every model that Vitamix makes, and a comparison tool that helps you see the differences between all of the different models.
  • TheRealDeniseSheets
    TheRealDeniseSheets Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a Refurbished Next Generation Vitamix- it is the 7500 and sells for $399 at their website. It still comes with a FULL 5 year warranty so I wasn't a bit afraid of the refurbished, and since I saved about $200 over a new one, it was a no brainer. I LOVE IT! I've made incredible smoothies, an unbelievably great soup, frozen yogurt (with just frozen cherries, greek yogurt and splenda) that my family still talks about 3 days later.... it is clearly the best purchase ever and well worth the expense. Don't think twice, just do it!!
  • flsusi
    flsusi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @scouter, could you post the recipe for the frozen yogurt? sounds delicious!