Weight Watchers anyone?

Options
I was looking for mfp members who are doing Weight Watchers. Just wondering how you are doing. I have done WW in the past and am wondering if I should do that since I have struggled lately with keeping on track. Help!

Jean

Replies

• aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to know as well, I've seen it work for a lot of people but others have slated it!

Personally I'm trying to shift the last half a stone and wondering if it would work for me!
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi Jean:smile:
    I signed up for WW this past week. I can't report on weight loss yet since I've only been doing it for a couple of days. Will post on my home page with my progress so you can see......I was having difficulty too with staying on track with foods and decided to try WW again. Years ago was a member.....I'm committed to lose this weight...... No matter how long it takes. If you join post or keep in touch so we can back each other up with support. :flowerforyou:
  • msmolly1101
    msmolly1101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am doing WW also on my own. Didn't sign up but got lots of info on other sites.
    I am posting my meals as normal but in the snack section of mfp I use that for my fruits and veggies.
    When I'm done for the day I total up the snack area and then the total combined and subtract the snack part.
    This way I can see exactly what I need to change in the other areas.
    If anyone has a different way of posting the WW, please let me know.
    I have lost 13lbs since beginning of March. What's discouraging is it's so slow but I am moving and I don't really exercise
    due to back problems. I try to walk but sometimes pay for it too.
    I started here last week so any help would be appreciated!
  • coffee4me57
    coffee4me57 Posts: 195
    Options
    I belonged to WW about a year ago and kept my membership for a year. At first I did well and then stopped following the program. For a week I tracked here and on the WW site. After that week, I cancelled my WW membership. WW is expensive and this is free. Also, the food data base here is superior to the WW one. I also feel that I wasn't eating enough calories on WW. I find I can eat more here and still stay within my calorie goals. I also didn't like the "hit" for carbs on WW and the way they forced me to count dairy requirements. My daily eating is now more balanced.
    There are some members here who also do WW.
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm doing weight watchers. For some reason, my brain does not like counting calories.
    I would love to have some more weight watchers friends (also, there is a group for weight watchers).
    FYI....there is a way to add a points column to myfitnesspal tracker. try doing a search for it.
  • lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, sweets!
  • jenaloy
    jenaloy Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Jean,

I started Weight Watchers in my early twenties, now 46, and I have kept so many of the tricks I learned from going to meetings. I know that WW is the reason i am only 20 lbs overweight and not more. I highly recommend WW. I am using MFP because you can basically do the same thing with this program. I believe you could use MFP in conjunction with WW and it would work great. WW teaches you how to eat regular every day foods by balancing your calories and physical activity. I always go back to the basics of WW when putting that extra 20 lbs back on. Just my opinion though. Hope this helps.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I am actually considering joining their online program. I've been struggling for 4.5 months with a 10-14 # weight increase/plateau and I cannot seem to budge past it.

Feel free to friend me, I'm looking for others who use WW and have been successful. The last time I tried it, it didn't do too well so I don't have high hopes...
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, there is no magic in Weight Watchers if you already have the knowledge. I hit a plateau last year and could only lose 15 lbs on my own and then gained it back over the holidays. Mid January I joined weight watchers and have been going to weekly meetings and using the etools. I have lost 35 pounds and am going for another 30 or more. I decided today to cancel my monthly WW pass subscription and go it alone and use mfp. Although the support and accountability really mattered to me for months I now have developed a strong internal motivation and in my heart just never believed it better to use points than calories and nutrition charts

Although there are healthy members, there are so many unhealthy looking lifetime members and leaders I've met who don't truly embrace a healthy lifestyle. They are skinny fat, at their correct weight but no muscle tone, etc. At every meeting there is a constant push of prepackaged weight watchers food products and most are unhealthy as compared to whole organic foods. I will say I do enjoy their other prodcuts like exercise mat, food sprayer, serving spoons, etc.

I'm glad I turned to weight watchers but I don't think there is any incentive to stay to be a lifetime member and I am going to see if I can make better progress on my own and continue my healthy lifestyle using real world calories and nutrition information instead of filtering it through the weight watchers points lens. My doctor suggested I follow the DASH diet and it is one of the highest recommended diets but you don't hear a lot about it http://dashdiet.org/ I am also going to take the money I save from not paying WW fees and perhaps buy a fitbit to help keep me on track with exercise.

Good luck with whatever you decide with WW, it gave me the push I needed and the reality check on portion sizes but in the end I still don't believe it is the answer and in six months I have learned the program and strategies now I just need to keep living the lifestyle.

Good luck
  • loserlee123
    loserlee123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I followed wwrs on and off for many years, monthly pass and then on-line. I am finding counting calories much easier than when I was counting points and agree the database is much better with MFP as well as when using the scanner on my iphone I am finding more items on MFP than on wwrs which really isn't right considering what weight watchers charges. It could be that I just got tired of counting points and I just needed a change since I am pretty much eating the same foods anyway. Whatever works to lose the pounds, happy losing to all!
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    My wife has been doing it for over 10 years now. She told me she lost close to 50lbs in 6 months and has maintained her weight on it ever since. She doesn't do the meetings though. Said they were annoying
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    for me i cant do WW or any other plan that gives me what food to eat every day.. im just not gonna follow thier plan. i want to eat what i want, easier that way.. so for me, its too disciplined for me. i'd rather just grab fruit, cereal and milk, rather than them tell me I have to eat: 1/2 scrambled egg with 1 tsp butter substitute, and 1/2 cup skim milk, and 1 half tiny banana, and 3/4 cup whole weat cereal. too much work!
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First -- a quick correction to the poster above Re: “..for me i cant do WW or any other plan that gives me what food to eat every day”. WW lays out guidelines on the number of dairy, fruit/veg, water, healthy oils, etc recommended for a healthy diet based on your age/weight/ gender but does not specify the foods that you eat. I have been doing the WW meeting plan since the end of Feb and have lost 46 pounds after using MFP on and off for a couple of years trying to lose weight on my own. Prior to joining the meetings I had signed up for WW online in November 2012 but never even attempted to follow the online plan. I really needed the extra accountability that the meetings provide.

For me the structure and in-person support work. My meeting has a lot of lifetime members who are in good shape and share a lot of great advice. There is also the usual number of people who just like to hear themselves talk but I have never walked out thinking that I have wasted my time. All of my tracking is now done in etools but I occasionally cross track in MFP to get a general idea of the number of calories, fat, sodium, etc I am consuming. The forums here on MFP are also a lot more lively and cover a wider variety of weight loss topics so when I hit a brief plateau right after Easter I searched the forums here first. I agree that MFP has a more extensive food database but on the other hand in etools there isn’t as much conflicting, sometimes inaccurate info to be sorted through before finding what you need. This is not my 1st time through WW but this current program with it’s increased emphasis on the importance of physical activity and changing things other than food seems to be resonating with me.

At this point I could probably go back to WW online or just track in MFP but don’t want to mess with what has been working for me so far. Ultimately you should go with whatever you think will be the best fit for your personality and lifestyle. The main thing is to treat this as a permanent lifestyle change and not a short term diet. Best of luck!
  • Nansik1964
    Options
    I did WW very successfully and lost almost 100 pounds. I kept it off for 7 years until an illness came upon me and medications and a forced sedentary lifestyle added that plus more weight on me. I am a huge fan of WW. They do NOT tell you what to eat- the whole point is to help you navigate the real world in which we live, not living on pre-packaged foods. One the best parts for me was the meetings with the right leader. I needed to connect with the leader, her story and her success. I had to "try" several leaders before I found the right one.

The thing I like the least about MFP and the message boards is so much negativity and so much self-righteousness in people's posts. This is the complete opposite of my experience in WW. WW encouraged many solutions to the same problems- such as foods to eat, small meals versus large, etc. It was not a cookie cutter solution, and we all shared what worked and asked for help with what didn't work. Members would share their successes, and those struggling could gain from all those perspectives.

If I could afford WW and predictably attend meetings, I would be doing that. I prefer the points system to straight counting calories. I also prefer more positive interactions, less overall negativity and far less judgement about my journey compared to someone else. We all walk this path with unique skills and challenges. We make decisions about how to progress that may not be suitable for everyone. When we ask for help, please don't preach and surmise that your journey is the only "correct" journey. Remember folks, this is the one place we should come where everyone understands our struggles!

Now that I took a moment to preach.......I think ultimately, this is far less about food and far more about what's in our heads. My last weight loss journey was so successful because I finally believed I was worth it, I finally believed I could do it, I finally understood it was not a "success only" journey. I finally realized that setbacks will happen, I will never be perfect, but I can continue to make my best effort and every meal or snack is an opportunity to succeed. WW made those beliefs stronger and was the path that worked best for me - it soothed my my psyche, and by default, my body followed right along.
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love WW and lost over 60 pounds with the program! I come here for the message boards which are quite different from the WW message boards and I sometimes log my Food just to see what my macros are because I'm trying to include more protein in my diet and I want to see how close I'm coming to my goals.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    First -- a quick correction to the poster above Re: “..for me i cant do WW or any other plan that gives me what food to eat every day”. WW lays out guidelines on the number of dairy, fruit/veg, water, healthy oils, etc recommended for a healthy diet based on your age/weight/ gender but does not specify the foods that you eat. I have been doing the WW meeting plan since the end of Feb and have lost 46 pounds after using MFP on and off for a couple of years trying to lose weight on my own. Prior to joining the meetings I had signed up for WW online in November 2012 but never even attempted to follow the online plan. I really needed the extra accountability that the meetings provide.

For me the structure and in-person support work. My meeting has a lot of lifetime members who are in good shape and share a lot of great advice. There is also the usual number of people who just like to hear themselves talk but I have never walked out thinking that I have wasted my time. All of my tracking is now done in etools but I occasionally cross track in MFP to get a general idea of the number of calories, fat, sodium, etc I am consuming. The forums here on MFP are also a lot more lively and cover a wider variety of weight loss topics so when I hit a brief plateau right after Easter I searched the forums here first. I agree that MFP has a more extensive food database but on the other hand in etools there isn’t as much conflicting, sometimes inaccurate info to be sorted through before finding what you need. This is not my 1st time through WW but this current program with it’s increased emphasis on the importance of physical activity and changing things other than food seems to be resonating with me.

At this point I could probably go back to WW online or just track in MFP but don’t want to mess with what has been working for me so far. Ultimately you should go with whatever you think will be the best fit for your personality and lifestyle. The main thing is to treat this as a permanent lifestyle change and not a short term diet. Best of luck!

Sorry, that is what i remember, the leader gave us these sample diets to eat for the day. thats what i was talking about.. they dont do that anymore?
  • chargraves
    chargraves Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sorry, that is what i remember, the leader gave us these sample diets to eat for the day. thats what i was talking about.. they dont do that anymore?
    [/quote

No worries! In the materials there are a few sample meal suggestions for those just getting started who are afraid to make their own selections but it would not be practical for WW to dictate specific foods that apply to everyone since the daily points goals are dependent on age, weight, gender & activity levels. The program has changed a lot over the years but I am old enough to remember exactly what you are talking about. :smile:
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I have done WW three times, quite successfully and loved it! Now that I am done having children, I am on the weight loss train again. I have never had them give me a meal plan, only a guideline or sample plans in case we needed it.

I love WW. So feel free to add me!
  • Lillith23
    Lillith23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I joined ww last year to help take off the weight after my baby was born, but I never got passed that (as I started slacking on counting my points). My mom is a huge believer though. I quit because it cost money and I figured out how to do it without going to meetings. I like mfp more since EVERYTHING has calories and you really gotta watch it where as ww, most fruits and veggies are free points. Too easy for me to pig out. However, points are much easier to count. What I have found myself doing is using mfp for most days and the days I am with company or out and about and cant really log onto mfp, I use the points and try to stay within the 26-28 point range. Its just another tool to keep me accountable.
  • rypstorm
    rypstorm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been a ww member since 2007, achieved goal weight, and became a lifetime member. Then I moved to another state, and getting to the meetings because less convenient. Gained 10 pounds, and ultimately went back to ww online to get back on track, and lost the 10 pounds. Yes, it does work. I did not purchase any of the ww foods since I prefer to be able to do it on "real" non ww foods that was more compatible with my family's habits.

The benefits of ww for me are:
    1. Learning portion control. Knowing what a 4 oz slab (ok, sliver) of steak, a Tbsp of nuts, or 1/2 cup of chickpeas looks like by eyeballing is huge.
    2. Learning what makes up a balanced diet. Those check off lists of veges, dairy, water, vitamin, etc are so ingrained in me now they are second nature. While I'm tracking my food in mfp, I am still making sure that I get all those components in there.

My thoughts about ww vs mfp tracking (disclaimer: I'm a new member of mfp because I want to test out a free food tracking application) are as follows:
    1. As far as tracking points versus calories, it's 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of another. As long as I track. MFP is pretty easy to track, and I like that I can also keep track of my macros (particulary protein intake, since I'm doing chalene extreme and am trying to shift over to less fat and more muscle). ww does not allow me to track my protein intake, which I don't like.
    2. Better food database in mfp
    3. logging in exercises in mfp is a bit clumsy, but that may just be because I'm still not quite familiar with that component. I like the simplicity of logging in activity points in ww.
    4. At this point in my fitness level, I'm hitting a weight loss plateau (It's always those last few pounds that are the toughest to shed), and I suspect it might be because of those "free" fruits and veges that are considered zero points.

For the next two weeks I'm going to track on mfp and if I continue to lose (or at least not gain), then I may consider canceling ww.