"eating disorder" thrown around loosely

Options

Replies

• sarahelizabeth2276
    sarahelizabeth2276 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have an eating disorder...I am addicted to eating well.

That's an actual eating disorder. It's called Orthorexia.. It hasn't been added to the DSM, but it is highly recognized in the eating disorder community.

"Orthorexia is a proposed eating disorder or mental disorder characterized by an extreme or excessive preoccupation with avoiding foods perceived to be unhealthful"

I hope you are okay!!
  • fatmommy2013
    Options
    To my friends, because I wont go out for agreesy cheeseburger, I have an eating disorder. To my family, because I take a few minutes a day to log my food, this is taking too much from our schedule. People are crazy sometimes. I do not have an eating disorder.im making conscious choices to make myself healthier for my kiddos, and for myself. Its sad.it stinks havingno dupport. But anywY, I agree. People overuse the term
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Just kills me when people are here trying to better themselves and doing a good thing and people constantly want to tell them they have an eating disorder and need to seek professional help or a doctor. In a perfect world we would all like to be able to run 10 miles, eat all the veggies and go to the gym 3 hours per day and see the best doctors and nutritionists..

+1

The majority of people don't do formal exercise, and many would rather eat their organs than go to a gym.

At least in the UK this stupid 1200 calorie thing isn't "a thing" at all :-)

I never encountered this idea that 1200 is unhealthy, especially for an overweight person, before MFP.

OP: You're right. We don't live in a perfect world. In addition, and this has been commented on in researchers' weight loss discussions, many people no longer have any idea what is a healthy weight or a food portion.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Eating disorder and disordered eating are two different things. I've seen more with disordered eating here than actual disorders. Usually orthorexia, often overeating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disordered_eating
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    People often use "eating disorder" instead of "disordered eating". They're two different things. And I think it's fair to call out disordered eating when you see someone doing it, since it can turn into something worse.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    People often use "eating disorder" instead of "disordered eating". They're two different things. And I think it's fair to call out disordered eating when you see someone doing it, since it can turn into something worse.

I agree with this.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    no flames from me, I couldn't agree more. Earlier post some young person asked if "Starvation Mode" was real and was treated so badly she (or he not sure) deactivated. maybe if people can't be polite they should just keep their mouths shut
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

+2
  • sarahelizabeth2276
    Options

I agree with this too!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

That's an actual eating disorder. It's called Orthorexia.. It hasn't been added to the DSM, but it is highly recognized in the eating disorder community.

"Orthorexia is a proposed eating disorder or mental disorder characterized by an extreme or excessive preoccupation with avoiding foods perceived to be unhealthful"

I hope you are okay!!

...and here we are. The guy (or girl) says he likes to eat well. You make it into Orthorexia.

Over-reacting, much?
  • Elicur
    Elicur Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Everyone thinks they're an expert, nobody pays $50k to go to school to actually become one these days.Everyone's enrolled in "Google University "
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I think you fail to realize the nature of this site, which can and does attract many people with unhealthy relationships towards food. Being overweight is unhealthy, but so is being underweight. Couple that with fear of eating (which is a fine way to destroy yourself) and with the obsessive nature that counting calories can bring, and YES, we do wind up with many folks here who struggle with undereating disorders.

In no way, shape, or form should the other extreme of what many of us are trying to do (lose weight) be celebrated or encouraged. We are here to develop healthy relationships with our bodies. Fearing food and our bodies is not the way to do this. So when we see it, we call it out and suggest help.

You do those who are ill, who are teetering on extremely dangerous behaviors, a disservice by saying what you've said.

^^^ this

being afraid to eat because you're afraid of gaining weight is a symptom of an eating disorder, and it's often one of the things that people have before they go on to develop a full blown eating disorder. It is very much a red flag.

if the OP didn't actually mean that she was afraid to eat in case she gained weight, then maybe she should have said what she did mean. because people generally take what you type on the internet at face value. And if you ask a question on the internet but don't word it well and get answers that you didn't want, you can just ignore them. No-one's compelled to follow any advice given on the internet. If it's wrong, or not appropriate, then just ignore it.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

fair comment
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I hope you are okay!!

...and here we are. The guy (or girl) says he likes to eat well. You make it into Orthorexia.

Over-reacting, much?

The above person wasn't told they had orthorexia. It was pointed out that the disorder exists. That's not the same thing.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    A post I saw earlier where someone said they were scared what they were eating wasnt healthy and they were told they had an eating disorder.

I responded to that post and advised the op to talk to a professional. Her exact words were:
    does anyone else feel scared to eat (thread title) even healthy things? In case it puts you weight on?

That is disordered eating. Being afraid to eat because you might gain weight isn't ok. She later back pedaled and said that's not what she meant. However, I only responded to the thread title and first post.

I was also responding to the second poster who said:
    I don't feel scared to eat, anything. It's just when it's already in my stomach, I feel gross; even when it's something healthy.

That is disordered as well. Eating shouldn't make you feel gross. Maybe they didn't mean exactly what they typed, but it's hard to infer a different meaning without being able to talk to them or to know anything about their history or background. I responded to what they put in the thread.

I don't throw around the term "eating disorder" too often, but I've been here long enough to know that there are definitely a lot of people with disordered relationships with food. And I do urge them to seek help when I see them because otherwise, they don't have a shot at sustaining any kind of healthy relationship with food (and weight loss).
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I do think some people over use the term orthorexia. Different people have different eating habits and preferences. That does not make it a disorder. It is a disorder if it is disruptive to the person's life or loved ones (in a real way, not just that they are annoyed the person won't eat donuts and pop tarts), or if it is having a negative impact on the person's physical, nutritional, or mental/emotional, or social health. But, just because some random person on the internet doesn't like that person, it doesn't mean they have an eating disorder. I also think being paranoid of imagined disorder is a problem as well, and should not be encouraged. I think there is an issue of control. Some people want to control what other people eat (whether they want everyone to eat by their definition of healthy or they want everyone to eat a specific food item that they enjoy such as poptarts for example). I also think there is a lot of projection on here at times. People see what they dislike in other people, but keep the drama going from their own responses to it (maybe they do that for fun). Perhaps we all do this at times, maybe it's part of human nature (or human boredom or how people deal with avoiding their own issues, maybe more than one reason). Sorry, just kind of needed to get that off my chest. Btw, no one has ever or would ever call me orthorexic, so this is not a personal reaction to anything, just from what I read in the forums. I'm not personally upset with anyone. This is not a serious issue for me, just an observation. Perhaps I missed something, as would be likely on internet forums. This is not a response to anything or person specifically or any recent event. And this doesn't only happen with eating disorders. People will also throw around other mental disorder terms. There is probably a lack of education on what the real definition of many mental disorders are.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I agree that the term does get used way too often. It's not rare to see someone told they have an eating disorder because they eat under a certain number of calories. Eating disorders are way more complex than that and obviously the people who are throwing the term around don't have the knowledge or experience to understand that.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I do think some people over use the term orthorexia. Different people have different eating habits and preferences. That does not make it a disorder. It is a disorder if it is disruptive to the person's life or loved ones (in a real way, not just that they are annoyed the person won't eat donuts and pop tarts), or if it is having a negative impact on the person's physical, nutritional, or mental/emotional, or social health. But, just because some random person on the internet doesn't like that person, it doesn't mean they have an eating disorder. I also think being paranoid of imagined disorder is a problem as well, and should not be encouraged. I think there is an issue of control. Some people want to control what other people eat (whether they want everyone to eat by their definition of healthy or they want everyone to eat a specific food item that they enjoy such as poptarts for example). I also think there is a lot of projection on here at times. People see what they dislike in other people, but keep the drama going from their own responses to it (maybe they do that for fun). Perhaps we all do this at times, maybe it's part of human nature (or human boredom or how people deal with avoiding their own issues, maybe more than one reason). Sorry, just kind of needed to get that off my chest. Btw, no one has ever or would ever call me orthorexic, so this is not a personal reaction to anything, just from what I read in the forums. I'm not personally upset with anyone. This is not a serious issue for me, just an observation. Perhaps I missed something, as would be likely on internet forums. This is not a response to anything or person specifically or any recent event. And this doesn't only happen with eating disorders. People will also throw around other mental disorder terms. There is probably a lack of education on what the real definition of many mental disorders are.

Very well said. Couldn't have said it better.
  • sarahelizabeth2276
    Options

I hope you are okay!!

Over-reacting, much?

The above person wasn't told they had orthorexia. It was pointed out that the disorder exists. That's not the same thing.

Exactly! I wasn't claiming he or she had Orthorexia. I was just explaining that it is a legit disorder. I'm not a person who will label people with anything- diagnosis or otherwise!

Knowledge is power, if you have information- share it (hopefully in a thoughtful, kind way. There's no need to be pejorative or nasty! Kindness breads kindness, my friends.)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Anorexia will kill you faster than being fat will, in general. So when someone comes here at already an unhealthy low weight and talks about eating less than 1200 calories a day, yes, it is cause for alarm. Not everyone comes here because they were fat, many come here because they *think* they are fat when in reality, they are not.

I apologize for not being more clear. I am talking about only people who are overweight and doing what they have to do to lose the weight. I know there are some that come here to maintain fitness or even gain weight, but the majority are people like myself who have or had a considerable amount of weight they needed to or do need to be lose to improve health.

Just because they're overweight doesn't mean they have to eat less than 1000 calories... nor does it mean it's healthy to do so. You're advocating for eating disorders... it's not right. It's not right whether a person is 100 pounds or 300 pounds.