A different sort of "s/he didn't notice I've lost 30#s" post

Options
There is a woman I've seen nearly once a week for the past year. She said to me today "I've lost 28 pounds since March, did I tell you? Can you tell?"

I replied, "I am really so very sorry, but I can't."

She replied, "That's probably because you see me so much." She was not offended that I 'cannot see' her weight loss.

The 'moral' here is: If you think there is something wrong with those you are close to Not noticing a weight loss, don't get angry or despair. Just realize it *is* tough to see (nor not see) when we spend a great deal of time with someone.

PS -- I've lost quiet a bit of weight myself and only recently was *I* able to 'see it' on (off?) me.

Replies

• bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    good advice, thanks.
  • MyzGina
    MyzGina Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't see it in myself most of the time. Gets discouraging
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options

I find it very discouraging as well. but it is happening.
  • ashleybohman
    ashleybohman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Is it terrible that I totally would have replied, "Yes, you look great!" LOL
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Is it terrible that I totally would have replied, "Yes, you look great!" LOL

Ha, me too. I fully embrace white lies and find my life is less awkward for it :-) (what can I say, I'm a coward)
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'd not really seen mine until I put on a pair of shorts yesterday I'd not had on in a month, and realised they were actually looser. I think my thighs must have been way bigger than I remember!!
  • uthatswho
    uthatswho Posts: 34
    Options
    It is heard to notice something that is gradual. She wasn't fishing for a compliment.
  • lwillmann
    lwillmann Posts: 1
    Options
    It is hard to see when you are with someone all of the time. Even hard to see in yourself sometimes...especially if you have a lot to lose. I think that is why before and after shots are so important.
  • almostMalott
    Options
    I have replied simarly to orig post too. Fact is, i dont look at peoples size and shape regularly.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think this is why it's helpful to periodically take progress pictures - maybe once a month or so. It's hard to see (in ourselves and others) what the changes look like when they come about so gradually. Being able to look back at intervals and compare can help you feel less like all the changes haven't made any differences.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40 pounds and my boyfriend hasn't said anything about it. But he sees me everyday. And it has taken me a year to lose it so it hasn't been fast. I don't see it in myself either. But when I see friends and family that I haven't seen in a while they notice right away.
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    There is a woman I've seen nearly once a week for the past year. She said to me today "I've lost 28 pounds since March, did I tell you? Can you tell?"

I replied, "I am really so very sorry, but I can't."

She replied, "That's probably because you see me so much." She was not offended that I 'cannot see' her weight loss.

The 'moral' here is: If you think there is something wrong with those you are close to Not noticing a weight loss, don't get angry or despair. Just realize it *is* tough to see (nor not see) when we spend a great deal of time with someone.

PS -- I've lost quiet a bit of weight myself and only recently was *I* able to 'see it' on (off?) me.

great post.. its very true. i had a hard time seeing the loss on myself until recently, and only started getting compliments from ppl i see a lot a few months ago.

thats what progress pics and measurements are for!

id be nowhere without them

the scale is not the only tool for monitoring progression ;) (just the most evil one.. lol)
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It can be very difficult to notice on those you see all the time. I never see the changes in my face others see until I can compare a photo of preweightloss and currently. Then I see it. To me I still look the same in the mirror becuase I see myself daily.

37422413.png
  • ZenBJR
    ZenBJR Posts: 13
    Options
    I've lost over 100 pounds and I still get people saying "You look different.. did you get a haircut??" LOL.

I'm not offended. Part of it is that I was so fat that I looked... fat. Now, my body shape is still "fat", but I'm just... a smaller fat. I figure people will start noticing when my body shape starts changing (i.e. changing from a pear shape to V taper).
  • CLoney85
    CLoney85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I take pictures every 20 pounds and it's not until I see them side-by-side that I really SEE the difference.