Gym or Home workouts?

Options
I'm just wondering what peple's thoughts are on home vs. gyms workouts.

It looks like a lot of MFPs use fitness videos. A new gym opened within walking distance to my house and it's really cheap. No classes but all the usual cardio/weight machines you'd expect to find in a gym.

I like the privacy of working out at home but it must be easier to concentrate in a gym...

What works better for you guys?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Do both use variety. Variety is the Key. Oh yeah and good nutrition :-)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would think a gym has the potential for a better workout becuase it has a wider variety of things, I am not limited to one treadmill I bought or the same video I have done 2 dozen times.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I can work out at home, but I'd rather workout where I have someone watching me so I can push myself farther.
    I can do easy stuff at home by myself, but at the gym I can lift heavier and have someone watch my form. I get more out of it that way.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    If I had the motivation to get to a gym - and feeling ok with spending money on the the membership - I would choose a gym. I think its what suits your needs the best.

For me, I would likely not use the weights at the gym. I would use the treadmill most. So, why not spend a couple hundred for my own treadmill (when I have the room for it). I have an elliptical and love to do dvds, which I have a handfull of.

I'm not one that gets bored with what I'm doing, its more finding time to do it.

I would feel guilty spending the money and taking the time to go to a gym. I workout when my kids go to bed at 10 and I just wouldn't go to the gym then. I would not like taking that extra hour away from them that I would to go to the gym either.

There are pros and cons to each - you just have to figure out what's best.
  • Allieballie
    Options
    It's weird, but I like the camaraderie of the gym. I teach Zumba and rebounding classes at the gym and I find that my workouts go by faster if I can chit-chat while doing so :)
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a really cheap gym too, no classes but only $10/mo. I go there when I need to do intense cardio on the elliptical, it's still cheaper than buying one. I also don't like to lose that time with my kids so I try to go once or twice a week. With that said, I do a lot of videos too. I like having options.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I personally like doing my workouts at home. I can exercise anytime and not have to factor in cost,time to get to and from the gym and vanity. I have a treadmill,step,bands,ball and hand weights. I see to many people I know join a club just to waste their money and not end up going. If you have the willpower to work out at home and find you are really into the workouts then I would say go to the gym. If you can't get motivated at home I probably wouldn't go for the gym. Just my opinion.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I like working out at home because of the convenience. When I was younger, I liked going to a gym that was really convenient to work, but when it closed, the only option I had was to work out on my own. Now I am used to it.

I agree with a previous poster that it would be a good idea to do both so you get a nice variety.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I like both as well. I have a free gym in my office building so I go there 2 times a week to use the machines (elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike) and the other 4-5 days I work out from home with assorted workout DVDs. I also was taking a Zumba class once a week. It's a nice change of pace to go to the gym, and I dislike running outside so the treadmill is nice. There are definitely some great workout DVDs (I've done Jillian Michaels and now I'm doing Chalean Extreme).
  • wintersnow
    Options
    I live near the YMCA, so I belong but hardly go during summer. The heat really bothers me, so I cannot walk outside during summer months and that is when I use the Y for the treadmill. However, during fall months and winter, I love taking walks outside to get fresh air. I do have some workout DVDs that I use and switch out so I don't get bored. Good luck!
  • AmenoKaji
    AmenoKaji Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use homeworkouts, being an independent beachbody coach and all, i have a large variety of workouts that cover my cardio needs, at varying intensitiy levels. :) Same with weight lifting, the only times I head to the gym is if I want to do one of my p90x lifting routines with heavier weights then I have at home or if there is a really specific machine I feel I need to use but I don't have a gym membership :) mostly use free sample/trial coupons friends toss at me.
  • Katy213
    Katy213 Posts: 45
    Options
    I think a mixture of both works best for me, but everyone is different! At the minute I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - its less than 30 minutes for each workout so am doing that when i don't have time to go to the gym. When I do go to the gym I usually spend about an hour there so thats for the days when I have more time. Also mix in a bit of walking outdoors and the odd pilates class. Definitely me for variety is the thing!
  • lcouterm
    lcouterm Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You can do as much and lose as much or do as little lose as little with either it all depends on your own drive and perserverance. There are many pluses and minues to both, but which ever you choose just stay with it.
  • billgiersberg
    Options
    I think a lot of it depends on what home equipment you have. I have a TotalGym and a CE7.4 elliptical. The TotalGym, like it's advertisement says, allows me to do a broad range of strength exercises but I found that joining a TotalGym website helped me expand what I was doing and work on more muscle groups. The 7.4 elliptical has been wonderful. It is smooth and quiet. After using it for a week or so, my wife and I went to one of the sports warehouses to get me several more pairs of workout shorts. While there, I tried the various elliptical machines they had for sale. They were simply pieces of $300 and $400 junk compared to what I had in my garage and I knew that if I had bought one of them, I would probably have quit using it by now.

I also tried a gym membership but what I found there was that their weight machines really did not offer me much more than the TotalGym offered. Their elliptical machines and treadmills were of high quality and pleasant to use but again I had that at home as well. But I do not like going to the gym. I do not like the traffic and I prefer to workout privately. I had a gym membership for 6 months through my employer and went one time.

For me I need high quality equipment in my home a the dedication to use it every day. After three months, working out has become my new habit. But the money I have invested in home equipment would pay for 8 years of gym membership. So I offer two pieces of advice.... If you are motivated enough to go to the gym every day, use the gym. If you are not, don't cheap out on investing in quality home equipment because if you do, you may find that it's so unpleasant to use you simply stop using it and it becomes something you hang clothes on.

Also, when I go home, the first thing I do is head out to the garage for a workout. Don't let anything get in the way of that, whether you use the gym or not. You MUST go and not let the traffic, the weather, the laundry or the mail get in the way.
  • JustBeckyV
    JustBeckyV Posts: 182
    Options
    For me it's a time and an anxiety issue that I dont got to the gym. I am hoping in the future I can get over this! lol I do have a treadmill at home and I do have hand weights and resistance bands. I know I could probably have a better chance of getting toned from a gym though.
  • shari253
    shari253 Posts: 202
    Options
    Pros and cons to both. We were going to a gym but it was 20 minutes away, and took about 2 hrs to go to/from and workout. We decided to convert our rec room to a home gym. We already had a treadmill & moved it from the bedroom. Bought a good quality used stationary bike and used universal gym. Also bought some toys like hand weights, exercise ball, bosu ball, etc. At first we loved it, and I really enjoyed the convenience. I could even exercise while cooking dinner! But we fizzled out. It is more boring at home, and not social. Now I'm ready to continue at home, but add an occasional outside class for variety. The biggest problem there is that the gyms with classes usually have a monthly fee structure. I might spring for a day pass and have a fitness/spa day, or maybe sign up for a yoga class at yoga studio nearby. Or join a running club. I'm thinking about trying some new things.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Do both. My gym isn't cheap, but I still like to go there a couple of times a week. I noticed from workout out at home I am sick less and have the sniffles less.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I think if the gym is within walking distance and is inexpensive you should join...there really isn't an excuse not to make it there. Everyone complains about not having time but if people actually accounted for their time like the food diary they would probably get a rude awakening about how much time is lost and/or wasted. Joining may give you some exposure to others that will help you on your journey and you can meet them in person to encourage each other. It also give you the opportunity to switch up your work-outs -- I like to do "cardio circuits" 15 minutes are the Arc, 15 on the treadmill, and 15 on the elliptical or bike -- I try to do two circuits. It keeps me moving using different muscle groups and I don't get bored. As with anything you get out of it what you put into it.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    For me it's home workouts =)

I'm a SAHM & An Army Spouse. I tried going to the gym but it's hard to fit it in and when I do I stick to own machine cause I'm too scared & nervous to try other machines w/o looking stupid.

Before I become a mother and during my husband's 2nd deployment (this was my first time dealing w/ a deployment) I went to the gym since I had the time and a workout buddy (but than she moved once her husband deployed). At that time I was "skinny" and on a semi pro dance team so I didn't concern myself too much if I looked stupid or not lol. I was also paying for a membership. I had lived 25 mins from post and 24Fitness was closer to my house

The gyms on post are free for us to go to but with having kids makes it tough for me.

With Home workouts, I think the key thing is to find a good workout program that won't get boring and gets you great results.
  • cheexe
    cheexe Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank everyone for responding!

The only exercise I get is walking around my neighborhood with my boyfriend. I could walk to the gym in 10 minutes. I have a couple of great videos at home which I would probably continue to try to use but I don't like doing videos when my guy is hanging around ;) I think I'd like to have the option of a place to go by myself.