Questions about calories!

Options
I need some help regarding calories and such during exercise. I'm hoping to put into words what I am wondering about...

I'm doing a boot camp style workout that is 45 minutes and a mix of cardio and strength each day. Every time I go it is different.

My FT4 says I burned 360 calories today in those 45 minutes.

I've heard rumors that even after your done with the workout, you burn more calories, is this true?

Which burns more calories - strength or cardio?

Thanks!

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    strength training has a better after-effect of higher calorie burn. it is not huge, but it is what it is. Also, strength training helps burn fat more effectively, retain muscle mass (or increase it, depending upon your goals), and supports healthy bones. Overall, cardio is fun and strength training is more effective long term, in my opinion. I do both.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    cardio burns way, way more cals then weights. but what burns the MOST cals is watching the diet. and use strength training to sculpt ur body.
  • OriginalRedfishMan
    Options
    I am not an exercise physiologist, but here is what I believe is generally true. There are two different impacts on calories and metabolism. Cardio is shorter term burn and strength is longer term burn. Until your heart rate returns to resting you will burn more calories during this time immediately after your workout. Depending on your level of activity and how your cool down, this can last for a while (hour or more). Weight training will generally raise your metabolism over a longer period, but perhaps by not as much as measured by heart rate. As your body rebuilds the muscle over the next few days, your metabolism will be increased a bit. You really need both types to be effective in fitness training and weight loss.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    To add to what jzammetti said, in terms of immediate calorie burn cardio is the way to go but the afterburn (EPOC) being referred to is often overemphasized.

As to your HRM, they're only really intended for use with steady state aerobic exercise which is why your estimated calorie burn is all over the map.