Ice Cold Water

Options
bordsilly
bordsilly Posts: 31 Member
I have a question! If you drink Ice cold water does it jump start your matabolism? I was told it does. If you do this a few times a day you will see a quicker loss.

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I doubt it will do anything significant. Working out will jump start it more effectively.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I should be a twig if this was the case!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    No, not really. From a thermodynamic standpoint, it does require a few extra calories to raise the temperature of water to body temp, However, given that it requires one calorie to raise about 4 ounces of water by one degree (based on the definition of calorie), you're not going to burn a whole lot, even if you drink all of your water at just above freezing (and 20 minutes of walking is going to burn more). It doesn't jump start anything. It's one of those things that seems to make logical sense, so people have decided it must be true without actually doing the math.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a question! If you drink Ice cold water does it jump start your matabolism? I was told it does. If you do this a few times a day you will see a quicker loss.

Just another one of the myriad of weight loss myths floating around on the internet.

The only thing that will "jump start" your metabolism is increasing lean muscle mass (muscle is metabolically more "expensive" than fat). You are burning calories 24 hrs a day just through breathing, pumping blood through your circulatory system, digesting food etc etc.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sounds like absolute rubbish to me.

There's no short cut to hard work.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Only a defibrillator will "jump start your metabolism". If you can type on here your metabolism is just fine.

Raising the temperature of a cup of water (240 ml) from 0 to 40 C (over boy heat) would use 9.6 calories. That's it.
  • bordsilly
    bordsilly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank You everyone!! I thought it was rubbish!!! But science and health not being my best subject lol,
    I thought I would check!!!:wink:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    duplicate - MFP fell over
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    No, not really. From a thermodynamic standpoint, it does require a few extra calories to raise the temperature of water to body temp, However, given that it requires one calorie to raise about 4 ounces of water by one degree (based on the definition of calorie), you're not going to burn a whole lot, even if you drink all of your water at just above freezing (and 20 minutes of walking is going to burn more). It doesn't jump start anything. It's one of those things that seems to make logical sense, so people have decided it must be true without actually doing the math.
    The "no, not really" part is absolutely true.

The definition of a calorie part isn't even close. A dietary calorie (or kilo-Calorie) is the amount of energy required to raised a liter of water (33.8 oz) 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degree F).